Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Upgrading rear end - need help with options

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading rear end - need help with options

hey guys, blew my 10 bolt and want to goto either a 12 bolt or 9". I have a 99 ws6.

What are the "approximate" prices of each of my options and which would be best??

1) used 12 / 9" rear end (rebuild / no rebuild)
2) blown rear end, and re-build it?
3) brand new everything

I would like to have a reliable rear end, but at the same time not spend a fortune..not sure what to look for here, pretty new to this stuff.

s
Old 01-20-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spool, Posi, light weight stuff, all the bells and whistles?

You can get a 9" with 35 spline axles and a spool for about 2200-2300 shipped to your door.

Adding ABS, light weight center section (9"), lightened axles, bigger axle studs, drain plugs, LCA relocation brackets all adds to the price.

The Strange S60 could also be an option for you, which is the least expensive of the 9" or 12bolt.

Then depends on which rims you run, if you have low profiles you run also getting a rear end narrowed 2" or 3" or more would make those obsolete.

What are the plans for the car, is it a daily driver, street strip weekend car, car you want to make into a race car.

Auto or Manual trans?

List more about what you have done to the car and what your future plans and purposes are.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the quick reply....

it's an m6, and I drive it fulltime in the summer. I don't take it to the track, but do ride hard on the street frequently. I have 18" z06 rims with 295 / 35's for rubber.

I want ABS and POSI...but haven't read up on the other bells and whistles you mentioned. Very new to most of this.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:37 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145

The Moser 9 inch with truetrac above is the rear I would go with.
Pick the ABS option if you don't have a traction control button on the dash, and I'd go with the stronger 31 spline axles that don't cost anymore than the 28 spline axles, Alum case will save you 14 lbs and looks cool - customer preference, I'd go with 3.70 gears if you do a lot of highway driving - 4.11 gears for an all around driver, I would add the lower control arm relocation brackets - you will get much better traction by adjusting the lower control arms to where they are parallel to the ground. Bob
Old 01-21-2008, 09:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

does the car already have suspension upgrades? what kind of budget do you have? theres alot of things that come into the equation when selcting a rearend for your car and what you want out of it.

the best bang for the buck is the Strange S60, by far. a 12 bolt is a great rearend, but strength vs. cost comes into play. after that, the Midwest Chassis fabricated 9 inch is definetly the way to go. complete package with rearend, torque arm and crossmember. any of these rearends offer 3 or 4 channel abs and do not have any tunnel clearance problems.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

What are your future plans for the car? This will help with making recommendations. If you plan to stay a street car I would take Bob's recommendation. If you plan to do more racing there are better options.