Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock cat-back w/ cut-out will flow just as well any aftermarket cat-back, correct??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock cat-back w/ cut-out will flow just as well any aftermarket cat-back, correct??

I want to be able to make the car as quiet as possible, so an electric cut-out on the stock cat-back is my game plan. I know the after market cat-backs are bit lighter, but as far as performance goes am I losing anything? I plan to run pacesetters w/ cats into the stock cat-back w/ cut-out. It should be very quiet when its all capped up and thats what I want. Am I hurting performance at all in going with the cut-out on the stock cat-back?
Old 01-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe someone will chime in on this, I don't kno, but if does not do what you want, I gotta a borla cb I'm gonna take off mine u might be interested in, and I'm not 2 far from you either. 20 mins. north of g-boro. L8ter Brian
Old 01-20-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run Pacesetter LT's, TSP ORY and a cutout in stock catback. I have never had the car on a dyno but I'm pretty sure with the cutout open you would make just as much power as someone with an after market catback with a cutout. When I have the cap on my set up its barely louder than stock. With the cap off the car screams.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

A cut-out will out flow any cat-back. Just make sure you put the cut-out before your cats. I have never ran a cut-out because I personally do not like the open exhaust sound, and do not mind loosing a few ponies for the added tone of mufflers.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have cats then you want to put the cut out after your cats.
I have one just for that reason because it will out flow a catback and its a hell of alot cheeper and with and eletric valve you have the best of both worlds.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You could also do the muffler mod. Add a bypass pipe between the inlet pipe and the outlet pipe coming off the same side. One of the first mods discovered in the early LS1 days.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when my car was stock, i dynoed 5rwhp and lost 1rwhp with the cutout open through my factory cats.. now when im cammed, i've gained 18rwhp and 10rwtq with it open through tsp catted y-pipe
Old 01-22-2008, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

On my LT1 car I had just a flowmaster 80 series muffler and a Magnaflow 3'' uni cat, and with a cut out I only gained like 2rwhp.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

speaking in strict theory....NO

the stock catback is 2.75" in diameter, while aftermarket units are 3" (other than the big mufflex ones).
that equals to 16% more cross sectional area...a significant amount of flow potential.

but in real world applications....the variance will be so small...and variable between cars/dynos/days that you'll probably never notice a difference.

to make the most of your setup...and keep it quiet like you want...run some 3" tubing from the Ypipe back to the cutout. then have the stock 2.75" pipe welded behind the cutout.
that way you're getting the flow potential of the catback/cutout combo....but still retaining the sound of the stock unit when the c/o is closed.

3" tubing is cheap too...
Old 01-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, it won't. Not only is the stock catback smaller diameter tubing, but cutouts are not 100%. When the cutout is open, not all the exhaust goes out the cutout, so you're still using the muffler to an extent. You're still dealing with more restriction than a good flowing catback with a cutout. However, the difference won't be huge.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

that would be an interesting flow curve to see...

since the more restrictive the muffler...the more exhaust gets bled off through the c/o.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

i went with an aftermarket exhaust for a couple of reasons..first yeah i had a cutout but i didnt really like the sound of it..but most importantly..the look of the stock exhaust ..i hated it..i just wanted to lose the rust bucket..but if you dont have a problem with it than keep it i guess
Old 01-22-2008, 01:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just get a cutout in the I pipe i have been rocking one there with my stock exhaust for over 2 years now..will gain you 20rwhp...i have dyno proof and track proof...definitely the best of both worlds...thats why i never got a catback...
Old 01-22-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I run the hooker catback which flows great, and sounds much better then the stock catback. A cutout only yielded me 2hp/3ftlbs at my power level. If I had to choose one or the other I would choose running the hooker catback rather then a cutout in the stock catback.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by teke184
that would be an interesting flow curve to see...

since the more restrictive the muffler...the more exhaust gets bled off through the c/o.
Yes it would because even at an idle thier is still some exhaust comming out threw the muffler so at WOT I bet its alot more ,
But on a mustang dyno I had my exhaust taken down from the Y pipe so the I pipe was not on and I gaind like 5 hp or so it wasnt enugh for me to spend 500 bucks on a aftermarket exhaust, Thats why I got a cut out and it sounds realy cool to me too haha scares the **** out of all the poeple at Dairy Queen when I rap it up lol.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKap94z
I run the hooker catback which flows great, and sounds much better then the stock catback. A cutout only yielded me 2hp/3ftlbs at my power level. If I had to choose one or the other I would choose running the hooker catback rather then a cutout in the stock catback.
About what my dyno OP told me too. Apparently one of the best flowing systems out there. It's heavy though, I have one in my living room
Old 01-23-2008, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
About what my dyno OP told me too. Apparently one of the best flowing systems out there. It's heavy though, I have one in my living room
You are right it is heavy, the aerochamber mufflers are definately built strong. After having the mufflex 4" catback with Spintech muffler...everything else seems light tho!
Old 02-03-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check the sig, i have headers, ORY, stock catback with a SLP OEM dual/dual muffler and its stocklike quiet. With the cutout open, its scary loud!. I wish i wouldve gotten a hookercatback or muffler just because its to quiet and with the cutout, its a bit loud.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Restricted User

you exhause will flow GREAT with that cutout in. Don't worry about the stock CB. Plenty of people with CME's do that.