Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Posi makes noise but nothing looks broken?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Posi makes noise but nothing looks broken?

After my 10 second passes a few weeks ago the posi sounds like it might be broken. It is a stock Zexel-Torsen unit with 3.73 gears. I have broken these before so I know what it sounds like. Upon leaving the track the rear end was clunking going around tight turns. I took the cover off and I really can't find anything broken inside. Last time I broke one of these it was very evident after pulling the paddle out that something was wrong. I hate to replace a posi that is not broken. The rear has just been rebuilt with all new bearing under 6 months ago. Has this ever happened to anyone else. Should I replace it anyway or put it back together and see what happens.

Josh
Old 01-21-2008, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

Anyone?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

mine did the same thing the internal gears started getting stress fractures and lil pieces were getting lodged in between the gears . smooth as could be going straight but as soon as i made the slightest turn it popped like hell got so bad that the last time it popped sounded like a grenade went off under the car ( it was the go or blow run and she blew ) had to replace it
Old 01-21-2008, 10:21 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah sound like the wpiral gears have issues. Did you pull the posi apart?

Jeff