General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

EGR and AIR question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default EGR and AIR question

what do the EGR and the AIR systems do? Can I remove them and still pass new york state emissions?
Old 01-20-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its for emissions, sup it warms the cats up for better burning etc... if you took the system off it would throw a code, so ud have to get a base tune and then you would pass.

you wouldnt have to worry about under hood check as to the pump it self is hidden...they would literaly have to take off your fender to see it.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slayerized6
what do the EGR and the AIR systems do?
EGR=Exhaust gas recirculation. Sends some of the exhaust back into the intake manifold to be re-burned with the fuel. This helps reduce oxides of nitrogen in the exhaust.

AIR=Air injection recirculation (I think). Pumps air into the exhaust manifolds on startup to help the catalytic converters warm up quicker.

Originally Posted by slayerized6
Can I remove them and still pass new york state emissions?
Nope. Removing any emissions component is illegal. However, if you remove them and have someone with a programmer delete the related trouble codes from the computer you won't fail the plug in emissions test, this is what many people do.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula413
EGR=Exhaust gas recirculation. Sends some of the exhaust back into the intake manifold to be re-burned with the fuel. This helps reduce oxides of nitrogen in the exhaust.

AIR=Air injection recirculation (I think). Pumps air into the exhaust manifolds on startup to help the catalytic converters warm up quicker.

Nope. Removing any emissions component is illegal. However, if you remove them and have someone with a programmer delete the related trouble codes from the computer you won't fail the plug in emissions test, this is what many people do.
yea wat he said lol
Old 01-20-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

X2

Or if you have or can find a shop that is less strict they won't raise as much hell about it as long as there isn't any codes showing
Old 01-20-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

would a sniffer catch anything?
Old 01-21-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Addict

I honestly don't know if removing those two components would alter the reading one way or another. I can't imagine it would change it that much but I have been wrong before.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't think removing the EGR would be considered illegal since 01-02 F-Bodies had no EGR nor did 98+ Vettes.

I have removed my air pump. Kept the EGR since I'll remove it when I get my LS6 or Fast intake and passed NJ emmisions no problem and here is similar to NY. Just clear SES light or delete the code with a scanner before you go to the DMV
Old 01-21-2008, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
I wouldn't think removing the EGR would be considered illegal since 01-02 F-Bodies had no EGR nor did 98+ Vettes.

I have removed my air pump. Kept the EGR since I'll remove it when I get my LS6 or Fast intake and passed NJ emmisions no problem and here is similar to NY. Just clear SES light or delete the code with a scanner before you go to the DMV
I just may remove my AIR now...
Old 01-21-2008, 01:55 AM
TECH Addict

WOW some of these posts are so wrong its not even funny.
1. IF you remove ANY of the emission system (Included but not limited to cats, air pump, EGR) you WILL fail emission and will throw a Check engine light.
2. For the guy who said the pump is hidden yea it is, but the hoses commin off the manifolds are clear as day to see where there suppost to connect and for any decent inspector block off plates will stand out like a sore thumb.
3. Yea 01-02 and vettes didnt have EGR but that doesnt matter, the Emission sticker on YOUR car will say its suppost to have EGR and will have the ports on the manifold as well.

OBD2 testing is not simply plug it in and if you dont throw any codes then you pass. Thats only half the test the other half is a visual inspection and this is true in MOST state. And unless you know someone the odds of an inspector letting it "slide" are VERY unlikely due to the heavy fines if you get caught doing it. Especially since this adds ZERO horsepower the only real plus is that it helps clean up the engine bay but unless you show your car thats not a huge deal either. And unless you get LT's it will probally end up causing you more trouble then its worth IMO
Old 01-21-2008, 03:02 AM
On The Tree

even if you get the ses light tuned off, if they do a sniffer test you will fail it
Old 01-21-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

These engines had no EGR because they used different camshaft profiles which eliminated the need for EGR.

Also, you can't just clear the code with a scanner before you go for inspection because they computer will show a "not ready" status when they plug in to test it. You would need to actually delete the codes from the computer entirely.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
1. IF you remove ANY of the emission system (Included but not limited to cats, air pump, EGR) you WILL fail emission and will throw a Check engine light.
2. For the guy who said the pump is hidden yea it is, but the hoses commin off the manifolds are clear as day to see where there suppost to connect and for any decent inspector block off plates will stand out like a sore thumb.
3. Yea 01-02 and vettes didnt have EGR but that doesnt matter, the Emission sticker on YOUR car will say its suppost to have EGR and will have the ports on the manifold as well.

OBD2 testing is not simply plug it in and if you dont throw any codes then you pass. Thats only half the test the other half is a visual inspection and this is true in MOST state. And unless you know someone the odds of an inspector letting it "slide" are VERY unlikely due to the heavy fines if you get caught doing it. Especially since this adds ZERO horsepower the only real plus is that it helps clean up the engine bay but unless you show your car thats not a huge deal either. And unless you get LT's it will probally end up causing you more trouble then its worth IMO
Good write Up!!! Listen to this man!!!! Also, you CAN tune the light out but it still WON'T pass the visual!!
Old 01-21-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

1. IF you remove ANY of the emission system (Included but not limited to cats, air pump, EGR) you WILL fail emission and will throw a Check engine light...
Unless you do it the "right" way and use a program like LS1Edit to remove the codes for EGR/AIR from the car. Some states they don't do a sniffer test on OBD II cars, only a plug-in test and a visual for cats (I'm guessing that during the visual they don't know what to look for as far as EGR stuff). I've had my EGR/AIR removed for 4+ years now, I've been through 2 inspections, and always pass. I had so many codes being thrown (O2 codes - not the ones for AFR the other ones, cat codes, EGR/AIR codes, etc.) that even I was surprised and couldn't help but laugh when the car passed. Like I said, it's possible, but you have to do it the "right" way...
Old 01-22-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

1st off -I have removed the AIR and EGR and have passed NJ emissions 1st off I have done this for 3 different occasions here in NJ

2nd - There is no under hood visual inspection here.They don't raise your hood and i'd doubt even if any of them did, they would even know what a EGR is! They only use a mirror to check under your car to see if you have cats

3rd- Heavy fines? Nope! Who is going to know you removed something on at least (02) a 6 year old car? They don't know how many owners the car has had. Every state is different though

These engines had no EGR because they used different camshaft profiles which eliminated the need for EGR.
Every LS1 vette 97 and up had no EGR. The cams in these motors were the same in 98 then changed for 99- 00 F-Bods then again in 01-02

Last edited by CJDZ24_Z28; 01-22-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

1st off -I have removed the AIR and EGR and have passed NJ emissions 1st off I have done this for 3 different occasions here in NJ

2nd - There is no under hood visual inspection here.They don't raise your hood and i'd doubt even if any of them did, they would even know what a EGR is! They only use a mirror to check under your car to see if you have cats

3rd- Heavy fines? Nope! Who is going to know you removed something on at least (02) a 6 year old car? They don't know how many owners the car has had. Every state is different though
1. First it must vary from state to state b/c the AIR and EGR are JUST AS IMPORTANT as the cats all are weighted equally as emission equipment, obviously you got lucky b/c usually messing with emission components will cause you to fail obviously your inspector did not know exactly what he was looking for.
2. Yea there is a underhood test as some imports have the cats right off the manifolds like some civics so they have to pop the hood to inspect all the emission equipment. If the inspector knows what he is doing he is check that the car still has ALL the emission components, and there computer tells them what each make and model is suppost to have. And that makes no sense why would they check for Cats and not any of the other emission system? And I know several people who failed due to no AIR or EGR.
3. The fines I mentioned were not for the driver/owner its for the inspector/shop which is why they are so picky with the testing. A shop/inspector can loose there license if they get caught deliberately passing a car that is not "legal" according to inspection.
Of course there are ways around it, and ALOT of people do so, but im talking about from a 100% legal standpoint
Old 02-14-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

my 2001 has 2 lines (one on each side) coming off one header primary and going back to the back of the intake somewhere....thats not EGR?????
Old 02-15-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

^^^no, it's air
Old 02-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Teching In

not sure about in NY, but MD they did only the Plug in test

I had an o/r H on my stang, but had mils, so no light, the inspector noticed I had no cats, butj as long as I had no light on in the dash he didn't give a crap. May have been a nice guy, or he didn his job, checked for codes.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

i wasn't crazy about feeding exhaust into my intake stream so i just sealed the EGR opening on the intake manifold but kept the tube running into the hole so its still looks functional. i had codes tuned out as well. it still looks exactly the same and throws no codes...utter perfection lol