Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ram Air?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Air?

which is the best?
is rain a problem?
thanks
Old 01-21-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a SSRA and a air box lid ( best combo I know of so far) on my ss so all the air is comming from right under the nose and it sucks up alot of crap let me tell ya haha.
But I havent had any problems I have driven it in the rain but try not too mostly because traction is a real big issue now.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

do you ever friggen SEARCH! my GOD KID. Almost every damn post on the forum you have is of YOU making a NEW thread. Do you have the rest of Ls1tech of hold you hand on everything?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBoy5
do you ever friggen SEARCH! my GOD KID. Almost every damn post on the forum you have is of YOU making a NEW thread. Do you have the rest of Ls1tech of hold you hand on everything?
*******!!!
so what if all my post are new threads,
get a life and grow up.....im mean does it really bother u that much to where you have to post something, if the administrators have a problem with it then they can tell me something
so.....
oh yea........i forgot my search wasnt workin at the time, sorry my computer f's up sometimes
Old 01-21-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there there children...

Theorectically the best ram air is to somehow seal the intake to the incoming air. More or less just don't let any hot air from the engine compartment get to your intake... There's many different ways of doing it... Lid, FTRA, Volant, BGRA, JAAM
Old 01-21-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1>Imports
*******!!!
so what if all my post are new threads,
get a life and grow up.....im mean does it really bother u that much to where you have to post something, if the administrators have a problem with it then they can tell me something
so.....
oh yea........i forgot my search wasnt workin at the time, sorry my computer f's up sometimes
ive been trying not to say anything for weeks but your damn threads always pop up....

interesting.. the SEARCH button isn't working but the Post New Thread Button is... interesting
Old 01-21-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting.. the SEARCH button isn't working but the Post New Thread Button is... interesting
pwn3d

i think the best setup for camaros is to turn it into a bottom breather. SS hoods arent efficient at pressurizing the airbox and T/A ram air looks horrible on camaros.

so then get a lid and a FTRA or SSRA and be done with it.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Launching!

ive been trying not to say anything for weeks but your damn threads always pop up....

aww....... am i making the poor baby upset because of my posts...
go cry somewhere else

but to all the other ppl who are not little girls,
thanks for the info
Old 01-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by noriceinside
pwn3d

i think the best setup for camaros is to turn it into a bottom breather. SS hoods arent efficient at pressurizing the airbox and T/A ram air looks horrible on camaros.

so then get a lid and a FTRA or SSRA and be done with it.
i plan on getting one but was worried about rain and water getting sucked up
Old 01-21-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I drove in a nasty driving rainstorm up to VA a few weeks ago, no issues with my Raptor hood on my T/A
Old 01-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I drove in a nasty driving rainstorm up to VA a few weeks ago, no issues with my Raptor hood on my T/A
which one did u have
Old 01-22-2008, 09:13 AM
11 Second Club

which one did u have
A Raptor hood.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Junkie

SSRA w/ TSP lid

been driving it in south florida weather....including more hurricanes than i can count....and never had a problem.

i installed the SSRA and lid as one, so my results were compounded, but the pull at high speeds was insane. very noticable over the stock intake setup.

i've also driven in blinding rain....hurricane rain....and pulled over under an overpass once. popped the lid and found no evidence of water or rain inside the lid.

could you hydrolock the car....theoretically YES. if you hit a puddle deep enough to submerge the scoop....and it would only happen if you were moving fast enough to "splash" the water up into the lid. it wouldn't "suck" it up.
what i mean is you could submerge the nose and scoop, start the car...and it wouldn't get water in the intake. you need ALOT of vacumn to pull a column of water 2x13" vertically 18"....especially since the SSRA is not totally sealed. it has some space around the hood latch support.

i think the SSRA is better than the FTRA...both are good, but one is better i think.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

hahaha.. I checked this guy's threads, and you are spot on. Oh well. Every day someone posts a "which headers?" thread... you can't stop them all.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
hahaha.. I checked this guy's threads, and you are spot on. Oh well. Every day someone posts a "which headers?" thread... you can't stop them all.
holy crap another person with a problem........geez and this is coming from someone with 26 posts...ha
thanks guys for all the help im goin to order a SSRA today
Old 01-22-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

why are people commenting and criticizing when someone asks a question..the search mode is a pain.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

holy crap another person with a problem........geez and this is coming from someone with 26 posts...ha
thanks guys for all the help im goin to order a SSRA today
I think you will like it alot man I know I did I'm cam'ed and that SS hood is a joke compared to the ssra kit I made a consistant 2 10th's off the 1/4 with it and 2 mph with just that mod I cant say enugh abot it, its SWEET!
But now you have to watch the curbs haha.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by teke184
..especially since the SSRA is not totally sealed. it has some space around the hood latch support.

i think the SSRA is better than the FTRA...both are good, but one is better i think.

If the SSRA is not totally sealed, it will not achieve any pressure. No pressure = less performance. The FTRA is totally sealed and we provide instructions for customers to verify that no air is escaping.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

which is the best?
is rain a problem?
thanks
Forget the other guy.
But try the search first then ask questions is you still cant find the answers
Ask all the questions you want answered thats how we learn.
Most people will help you here.
Ignore the ******** they wouldnt help if they knew the answers

Now for you questions.
Which is the best? One ram air is not any better then the next they are more for looks.
Rain is not a problem just dont remove the baffles
Old 01-22-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
If the SSRA is not totally sealed, it will not achieve any pressure. No pressure = less performance. The FTRA is totally sealed and we provide instructions for customers to verify that no air is escaping.
WEll what is being talked about not being seald is not the air box lid its self , now if you didnt seal the box properly then yes you have lost some but the SSRA kit is a 2 peice and yes thier is a gap where the 2 peices meet but its not hurting any pressure issues.