Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/9 truck intakes and HP

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile LQ4/9 truck intakes and HP

How much Horsepower will the truck intake handle? Im thinking of maybe a .575 lift cam and the L92 heads.

If putting this in my 71 chevelle can I use my stock fuel tank w/an external electric pump or will I need one in the tank?

Great site...thanks for the help!

Rick
Old 01-21-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stock truck intake has taken 1000rwhp....

yes you can use your stock fuel tank and an external pump.

-matt
Old 01-21-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Matt, Is that a 71 or 72 of yours? Pic is of a 71 but print says 72
I did put a 71 front grill on my 72 wagon, like them better.... Tell me about you install... Did you use the AC? LQ4or 9? They tell me I'll need to notch the frame to get the AC to fit!

Rick
Old 01-21-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine is a 72 with 71 park lights, 72 grill and headlight bezels.

6.0l lq4. 4l80e tranny. I only had to notch my firewall a bit(search my name in here and you should find plenty of pics. I had to cut my whole tranny tunnel out and build a new one. It was fairly simple. No AC in the car. Some kits require a notch, some don't.

Heres a little inspiration. nothing crazy. I got bored one day lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1llCRWNrRU
Old 01-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

flywheel, from what I understand, the LQ4/9 intake manifold, as well as all '06 and earlier intakes will not work with the L92 heads. Those heads have the new, larger, rectangular intake ports, instead of the cathedral shape of earlier ports. Only the L92 truck or L76 car intake will work on those heads, unless an aftermarket brand is available yet. HTH
Old 01-22-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want to use the stock location of the low Passenger side A/C compressor, yes.. you will have to notch the frame.

But if your using the S&P (or simular) plates, you can not use the Stock location of the A/C compressor, the plate comes into contact. Which is why S&P (and other vendors of adapter plates) markets relocation kits for the A/C compressor and other front accessories. BRP style plates do give you enough room between the adapter plates and compressor and doesn't require you to relocation any of the front accessories.

You can go external pump or intake. You just have to decide on what you want. External can be a bit noise as compared to a In-tank.

You can use the stock tank if you either slump the tank for the feed or use the TankINC kit. The TanksINC kit will require you to either notch the Tank or cut a section out of the Trunk floor to clear the feed and return fittings. You need to have a slump in order to prevent fuel starvation.

I and some others have used Late (94-96) Model Impala Gas tanks that are already setup for slump and intake pumps, you will have to either run it lower or cut the Truck floor for the raised sending unit and lines (I am one that has done this swap). I also added the Racetronix standalone wiring kit and Walbro 255 pump.

Go luck and keep us posted on you project.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sump...
Old 01-22-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol yea, sump. But he was more useful then us.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks all for the input. Matt, it was inspiring.... Brian, great pics of the installs. That is alot of help, gives me some idea of what I have ahead of me to do....I will definetly be refering back to this when the time comes.

Rick

Quick Reply: LQ4/9 truck intakes and HP