Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevy II guys...Progress on LT's in stock clip

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Chevy II guys...Progress on LT's in stock clip

Made some progress on the passenger side long tubes today. Can you say TIGHT? This is my first attempt at building headers, and so far has been better than expected. A little patience, and a LOT of tubes and you too can build a set!

Drivers side is done except for the finish welding of the collector and flange.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...acNjI?start=12

Starts on page 2, continues on page 3.

Jack
Old 01-21-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good....i like custom ****...lol
Old 01-22-2008, 07:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you are doing a good job for your first set of headers,your using the stock frontend arent you?Thats really tough,they are bad enough with a regular small block.My headers should be a little easier as I plan on using an after market clip.I keep hoping some one will build a set of headers for this application before I have to tackle it.Keep us posted I am watching your build with intrest.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

SUPERBOOST, Chris Alston's Chassis Works makes a nice clip for these cars and Lemon Headers makes headers for an LSX install in their clip. They are rather $$$$ however but worth looking into IMHO.

http://www.lemonsheaders.com/

D.J.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Launching!

Looking good man. Just make sure you leave yourself some clearance for motor movement if you aren't running solid mounts.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:45 AM
9 Second Club

looking good. nice work so far
Old 01-22-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Skele4door
Looking good man. Just make sure you leave yourself some clearance for motor movement if you aren't running solid mounts.
Actually there is NO room to leave. I have the drivers side as tight as I can get them. I will end up pulling the engine to "clearance" the shock tower some. I do plan on running a torque strap/limiter to stop the engine from rolling over onto the headers.

Jack
Old 01-22-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OneQuickCoupe
SUPERBOOST, Chris Alston's Chassis Works makes a nice clip for these cars and Lemon Headers makes headers for an LSX install in their clip. They are rather $$$$ however but worth looking into IMHO.

http://www.lemonsheaders.com/

D.J.
Thanks for the info,you are right the alston clip is really nice.There are several to choose from now and I want to look at all of them before I buy one.Right now I am leaning towards the one from checkerd racing,looks really good especially for the money.The lemons headers are very nice but at nearly $1,200 I think I will try my hand at building my own.Surely somone will start building a good reasonible set of headers for this swap as popular as it has become,mabye not enough demand for the big guys though.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

$1200.00 for Nova headers? Now that looks like the Corvette tax price to me. They would need to be coated after that. I can lay on my back on concrete a long time for $1200.00.

D.J.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Thats what I'm saying too! I dont mean to sound like I think it easy to build them because I know its not,but how hard can it be with after market clip with rack and pinion.If you run an automatic or even a five or six speed with a hydraulic clutch there is just not too much in the way.They build headers on much tighter chassis than this.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by OneQuickCoupe
$1200.00 for Nova headers? Now that looks like the Corvette tax price to me. They would need to be coated after that. I can lay on my back on concrete a long time for $1200.00.

D.J.
Jesus, I know that feeling!!!!!!!! Spent the better part of 4 days on my back, and the damn concrete is COLD this time of year....LMAO
Old 01-23-2008, 07:34 AM
TECH Regular

Yes you really have the tough job,building those headers on a stock chevy II front end. anyone thats worked on deuces much knows that has to be tight.I may have missed it in an earlier post,what trans are you going to run?Keep us posted and good luck with your headers,you will need it!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah keep the pics coming! I am just now starting to gather parts for my 66 Chevy II/LS1 6spd swap. I have the 66 & a 2000 Z28 parts car. I am in the "planning stage" right now, getting all of the info I can before I start. I am going to use a modified stock front end.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SUPERBOOST
Yes you really have the tough job,building those headers on a stock chevy II front end. anyone thats worked on deuces much knows that has to be tight.I may have missed it in an earlier post,what trans are you going to run?Keep us posted and good luck with your headers,you will need it!
Stock Truck 4l60E.....I am sure someone who does this for a living could build a much nicer set, but so far I am very happy with the outcome.

Jack
Old 01-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

Nice work! Bet you'll be glad when they are done? I see a jig and some extra cash flow in your future! Too bad none of these old cars are the same though someone would be all bent when his hit the shock tower! How much longer are you thinking?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

There is no real way to make these fit all 1st/2nd gen novas. Way too many variables to deal with. My mounts are moved 1 inch forward from stock location to facilitate clearance in other areas. I wish I could make some extra cash, I am going broke doing this conversion. I have about $350 in the headers at this point, and I still have to get them coated!

Jack
Old 01-23-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by babydeuce
There is no real way to make these fit all 1st/2nd gen novas. Way too many variables to deal with. My mounts are moved 1 inch forward from stock location to facilitate clearance in other areas. I wish I could make some extra cash, I am going broke doing this conversion. I have about $350 in the headers at this point, and I still have to get them coated!

Jack
How do you have so little in them? I priced to build my own, from Summit, 1 3/4 tubes 260 bucks, header flanges, 150 bucks, collectors, 100 bucks. Did you find a better source? I know you also said you expended what you had and had to buy more tubes? I might look into doing this also, if I can keep the price under 400 bucks for materials.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Duane,

I got the flanges from 1slow4dr from steves site for 50 bucks shipped. Speedway motors has weld up header kits with 1 /34" tubes for $104(SBC style) they come with nice long collectors. Speedway also had a box of mics bends for $79. I then had to buy more, but I bought 4 combo bend pipes at 14 each. These pipes have a 180 bend, and a 90 bend. With shipping and everything I am at approx 330. I then bought the o2 bungs from summit, that another 30 bucks (3 bungs and a plug). So I am right at 350-360. If you want to figure in electricity for the chop saw and the welder + gas, well then we add another $100 easily.

Honestly Duane, you definitely have the welding skills and the talent, I say go for it! It takes patience and time, but I think it is worth it. The 1 thing that I wish I had was a bender of some sort to make minor tweeks to some pipes. It can be difficult to get angles correct with just 45's and 90's. I sent you a PM with some good links for cheaper parts.
Jack

Last edited by babydeuce; 01-24-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Staging Lane

I know you had to build yours Jack but do you think it is worth the time and effort for the gains Duane would get for building his own, over just using the shorties? There are some pretty fast cars on this site with stock manifolds. Just wondering anyway? I don't know about you Duane but my car has been down so long I just want to get it done and not fab anything! Maybe later on build some better or buy some when the prices are down a little.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nova65ss
I know you had to build yours Jack but do you think it is worth the time and effort for the gains Duane would get for building his own, over just using the shorties? There are some pretty fast cars on this site with stock manifolds. Just wondering anyway? I don't know about you Duane but my car has been down so long I just want to get it done and not fab anything! Maybe later on build some better or buy some when the prices are down a little.
well, we know that these engines can make HP with stock manifolds, but they would probably be faster with long tube headers.

This 66 I have now has never been up for me, and still needs paint and interior work, so, I have time.

Quick Reply: Chevy II guys...Progress on LT's in stock clip