Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VERY small cats? bullet's? powerpack? Trying to kill rasp & drone on duals

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VERY small cats? bullet's? powerpack? Trying to kill rasp & drone on duals

The original setup is covered here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=301

Since that was written, Pacesetter longtubes were added, and the cats were deleted. The resulting effect is loud and raspy..

Above 3000 it's pretty raspy, and there's a good amount of drone inside above 2000.

As you can see in the photos, the exhaust is tucked up very tight to the body, to where I doubt even a small set of cats would fit. (There's a little brace running under the floorpan that was hammered to allow for exhaust clearance..it's that tight, and not much straight pipe until after the X-pipe) However, along the driveshaft area, I'm thinking a pair of short, small-diameter mufflers could be fitted either side by side or staggered.

EAD's powerpacks ( http://www.eadperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=208 ) are promising looking, as they are only 3.5" diameter, and pretty short, but I'd like to hear other options that fall into the same category.

My goal is to squelch as much of the rasp as possible, some of the drone, and reduce the overall volume somewhat.

I do have quite a bit of sound deadening mat and closed cell foam that's going in as well which will help, but the other goals are desirable no matter what.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:17 PM
FormerVendor

It looks pretty tight. The smallest thing we would have is the Random Tech metal substrate bullet cats. I believe the are about 13-14" long and about 4-5" around the body. Do you have room for that?
Old 01-22-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cats don't do much for drone. I have 3 inch magnaflow standard size cats on my true duals and at highway rpm 1800-2200 the drone was unbearable. Could not hear yourself think kind of head splitting drone. You had to either drive unbearably slow or arrest me fast to keep out of the range.

I was only able to get rid of the drone with real mufflers. You might be able to get some sort of glasspack/bullet style muffler which will cut down the rasp, but not so much the drone.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:58 PM
FormerVendor

Sladex: We installed Random Tech bullet cats on several cars and it eliminated the resonance alltogether. While I agree that a full size muffler will reduce noise more than a cat, a cat will reduce noise more than a straight through/glass pack style muffler.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
I believe the are about 13-14" long and about 4-5" around the body. Do you have room for that?
Doubt it, unfortunately.. there isn't much straight pipe at all before the X-pipe, not to mention the pipes are quite close to the body.. adding 1" would probably put the cat right up against the body..

I have a feeling bullet's are going to be my only other option.. Or a flowmaster SUV muffler
Old 01-22-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Magnaflow 59959 spun metallic cats are pretty short and might fit in your situation. But I'm not sure if they will cut down on the rasp as much as you'd like.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Magnaflow Metallic cats do VERY little for sound and rasp. We've used them several times and they are not really worth the price unless you need them for emission requirements.

I always recommend Borla XR1 #40085 first and foremost for getting rid of drone. One of my favorite mufflers next to the Powerstick and Powerpacks. If you can fit XR1 5" round muffler, then definitely look into the Powerpack. Should really help clean up the sound and add tone the exhaust down a touch also.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So you think 2 powerpack's would help a good bit? They're small enough to fit...
Old 01-23-2008, 08:34 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eskimo
So you think 2 powerpack's would help a good bit? They're small enough to fit...
Just checked the pics in your setup, and I would definitely go with the Powerpacks. Should knock out the rasp and drone. I would either put them under the driveshaft tunnel, or if you can get them to fit, in the tail pipes. Which has better clearance. I would measure what you can fit and get the longest muffler possible, probably a medium size.

I've had quite a few exhaust setups on my car and I know how much drone and rasp suck. The Powerpack setup I had on my car had zero drone and rasp, just a pure smooth exhaust tone the entire way through the RPM band.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sure I could get one in the passenger's tailpipe where it wraps back around, but then that leaves me unbalanced... I think there's just enough room to run them side by side in the driveshaft tunnel.