Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

did some 02 fbodys come with the ls6 block?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation did some 02 fbodys come with the ls6 block?

if the block has the same #s on it as the ls6 block, then that means that some 02 fbodys came with an ls6 block, let me kknow if anyone knows about this thnx,
Old 01-22-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you look on the front of the block and it has a bull's eye mark on it just below the TB to the pass side then its a ls1 block.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

20-25% of them
Old 01-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some did...mine didn't. Makes no performance difference no matter which way you slice it though.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Banned

My 2002 did. I had the trans out and seen the number.
Also seen a bunch of pissing matches on this site, people arguing that it doesn't matter.
Whether it matters or not there is one question being asked here -did some 02 fbodys come with the ls6 block? The answer is yes.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, 25% came with them. No, it dosen't really make much difference. It actually sucks if you want to resleeve your block since the material removed for the bay to bay breathing hinders the stregnth of the block making it almost undesirable for sleeving.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1TECH > WELCOME TO LS1TECH > New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech

JRP's FAQ For Commonly Asked Questions

How to tell if you have an LS6 Block

15% of 01s and 25% of 02's got the LS6 Block. The only way to tell 100% is to check the casting number. As you can see in the above pic (my ls6 block) the casting number is at the top of the deck on the drivers side. Take a mirror and place it behind the block and check or jack up the car and attempt to look from the bottom. The "easier" ways are the casting hue and bulleye methods but none are conclusive. If you really want to know if you have the block you'll need to do the work and look for yourself, end of story.

Once you have determined if you have an LS6 block (ya you), then the only benefit to the block are the bay windows.

Its generally accepted from most engine builders that if your going for an extreme setup that the LS1 block offers more structural strength over the LS6 block.

THE LS6 BLOCK DOES NOT INCREASE HP, REPEAT AFTER ME "IF I HAVE AN LS6 BLOCK IT DOES NOT INCREASE POWER". LEARN IT, SAY IT, REPEAT IT.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Yeap, my '02 had the LS6 block as well, spot on with that above post, hammertime.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Banned

See what I mean, bunch of pics, big red letters, people jumping out of windows , pure pandemonioum. THE QUESTION WAS DO SOME '02 HAVE LS6 BLOCKS. PERIOD. NOT WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES.
SEE ANSWERING YES IS MUCH EASIER THAN BITCHING ABOUT A STICKY. YEA IT'S BEEN DISCUSSED A MILLION TIMES BUT 'YES' WOULD HAVE BEEN A THREE LETTER ANSWER. HEADED FOR THE WINDOW
Old 01-22-2008, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy big *** red letters BATMAN

Old 01-22-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my donnor motor from an 01 ss had an ls6 block
Old 01-22-2008, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work

Matt Murphy posted this in another thread. Some of the info isn't relevant(most is about the ZL1 cars) but it explains why the 01-02 cars had the LS6 block

I will admit, that when we pulled the first motor out of the 2002 ZL1's, and the casting number was the exact same casting number that I was putting back in the car, I was a little confused. So, I called the GM engineers we were working with and asked them how could a 2002 Camaro come with an LS6 motor. They said that the piston knock and oiling problems prompted GM to update the block. When GM updates parts, like an engine block or cylinder heads, they will almost always change the casting number, to signify a change or update has been made to the previous part number. So, if there are different casting numbers for an LS1 block, you can be sure there is something different about the blocks. The engineer also went on to say that they started filtering in the LS6 casting number blocks in Camaros and Firebirds in 2001 because of the continued piston knock problem. He said that about 20% of the 2001 f-bodies will have the LS6 casting number and about 70% of the 2002 f-bodies will have the LS6 casting number. We found 3 different casting numbers on the 69 motors we pulled out, but most of them were the LS6 casting numbers. To the extreme novice, again CAMAROSSS that would be you here, the motors seem to be the same, but if you had a production LS1 out of a 2002 CAMARO and one of the LS6 crate motors we bought from GM, you could probably find 15 things between the two of them that are different. The idea was brought up to me a long time ago, about how I could have saved a lot of money by just changing the heads, and cam and leaving the LS6 casting numbered motors in the cars, but I explained to them about the 15 differences and they agreed with me that it would have been obvious that we frauded people, if we did that. The first big give away that your block is a factory block is the VIN number like Ron said, and he would know since he helped build all of these cars. The second biggest way to see if your block is an LS1 or LS6 casting number is on the front of the block below the throttle body, there are obvious casting differences. I'm sure this topic has come up here so I wont go into it, but I would recommend that CAMAROSSS does look it up, and next time you speak as if you know the truth about something, just remember, someone will always know more about it than you. I heard someone say, God created us with two ears and one mouth, and we should listen twice as much as we speak, that's something you should think about. This issue of GM using the same casting number for both LS1 and LS6 engines, is going to continue to cause problems for many years. Remember, always do your homework and research it before you think you know what you're talking about, because you might find out that there is a simple answer for why you were wrong. I'll bet many people including CAMAROSSS didn't know that GM Parts actually made a seperate part number and LS6 motor combination for the ZL1 project. In 2002, all you could get was a complete LS6 warranty block with all the Corvette accessories. The price was over $11K, which would have made the project too expensive if we had to pay that much for those motors. One of the many things GM helped us with on the ZL1 project was the engine cost. They came up with a new GM Part number and created a LS6 motor package made for the Camaro, without the Corvette parts and LS6 intake, and saved us over $6K per motor. That LS6 crate motor and part number is pictured in the GM Performance Parts catalog.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, all I did was copy and paste the sticky, along with the obligatory smiley. Only one negative post in here so far...

I'm sorry a yes/no answer is all that you wanted to see here, but since the OP had apparently not seen the info, or the sticky, I thought I might bring the info (along with where it's found) into the thread.

Sorry if the red letters hurt anyone's eyes, I just copied the images, text and formatting straight from the sticky.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

I have a ls6 block in my 01.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Got the LS6 block in our 02.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sweet LS1 block better. Thanks
Old 01-23-2008, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hammertime
Wow, all I did was copy and paste the sticky, along with the obligatory smiley. Only one negative post in here so far...

I'm sorry a yes/no answer is all that you wanted to see here, but since the OP had apparently not seen the info, or the sticky, I thought I might bring the info (along with where it's found) into the thread.

Sorry if the red letters hurt anyone's eyes, I just copied the images, text and formatting straight from the sticky.
I thought it was funny.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Banned

So, I called the GM engineers we were working with and asked them how could a 2002 Camaro come with an LS6 motor. They said that the piston knock and oiling problems prompted GM to update the block.
Thats funny, I have an '02 with an LS6 block. I've put up sound clips on a bunch of sites since I've had it only to get reactions like 'damn that things about to come apart' in other words it's one of the noisiest engines out there. So much for GM's "fix".
And the clip was recorded at 26,000 miles.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
Thats funny, I have an '02 with an LS6 block. I've put up sound clips on a bunch of sites since I've had it only to get reactions like 'damn that things about to come apart' in other words it's one of the noisiest engines out there. So much for GM's "fix".
And the clip was recorded at 26,000 miles.
At least now we know where all that anger is coming from...

Seriously, that sucks! I'm sorry to hear that you've got one of the noisy ones. My '01 SS makes a little noise at cold start, but it's gone in a minute or so. I'd be pissed too if I were in your shoes!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
See what I mean, bunch of pics, big red letters, people jumping out of windows , pure pandemonioum. THE QUESTION WAS DO SOME '02 HAVE LS6 BLOCKS. PERIOD. NOT WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES.
SEE ANSWERING YES IS MUCH EASIER THAN BITCHING ABOUT A STICKY. YEA IT'S BEEN DISCUSSED A MILLION TIMES BUT 'YES' WOULD HAVE BEEN A THREE LETTER ANSWER. HEADED FOR THE WINDOW
That's a little more than a "yes or no" answer you offering there. And a bit more "bitchy" than the rest.

Quick Reply: did some 02 fbodys come with the ls6 block?