Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

228r cam ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 228r cam ?

i have a motor with the tsp 228r cam in it which is 228/228 588/588 on 112 and im thinking about putting a carb with a victor jr. intake on it to put in a mustang just wandering how it would do with a carb instead of efi
Old 01-22-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think carb is a step back but who knows for sure. do you have heads or any other mods?
Old 01-23-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2, a step back. but it should work fine.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

i am going to put heads on it later but its going in a mustang and i dont want to mess with the wiring and tuning it cause later i am going to put a bigger cam in it
Old 01-23-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

To each their own, but a cam is a cam moneywise. All of them need upgraded springs, and retainers are highly recommended, so the cost of cam at the top of the page is almost always within a few percent of the cam at the bottom.

Now, if you're going to upgrade later to a solid roller, why spend all the money now for a mild hydraulic roller? A stock LS1 should put in the neighborhood of 380-400hp to the flywheel with headers & exhaust to fit the chassis, even on the stock ECM, and intake. You're still making more power than most H/C 5.0L engines, almost any N/A 4.6, etc.

You would be ahead of the game keeping the stock electronics, and converting the heads and cam all at once with a tune. Then you don't have to f*** with the jetting and timing all the time because the ECM should manage all but the most severe weather changes.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hammertime
To each their own, but a cam is a cam moneywise. All of them need upgraded springs, and retainers are highly recommended, so the cost of cam at the top of the page is almost always within a few percent of the cam at the bottom.

Now, if you're going to upgrade later to a solid roller, why spend all the money now for a mild hydraulic roller? A stock LS1 should put in the neighborhood of 380-400hp to the flywheel with headers & exhaust to fit the chassis, even on the stock ECM, and intake. You're still making more power than most H/C 5.0L engines, almost any N/A 4.6, etc.

You would be ahead of the game keeping the stock electronics, and converting the heads and cam all at once with a tune. Then you don't have to f*** with the jetting and timing all the time because the ECM should manage all but the most severe weather changes.

Are you talking about switching from an efi setup to a carb setup? Is that what all of that^about?
Old 01-23-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

use a MSD LS1/LS6 pill controler box
Old 01-24-2008, 02:48 AM
On The Tree

ok here is the deal i have a trans am and i am going to pull the camed motor out it has a 228r cam in it and i am going to put a stock motor back in and build a 91 lx coupe car with the cammed ls1 and for ease of tuning and not haveing to mess with all the wires i just want to stick a carb on it and get her running for right now and later build a bigger motor so my question is how would the 228r cam do with a carb
Old 01-26-2008, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99mongooSS
Are you talking about switching from an efi setup to a carb setup? Is that what all of that^about?
Yes, that is what that was all about. Truth is there wasn't enough info in the 1st post. In my reply, I was assuming he had a takeout LS1 that he wanted to put a cam in, then stick in the mustang. I didn't see any reason to ditch the electronics, by a cam and run it for a while, then by another cam and heads later.

As we see in his reply, he want's to keep the electronics for the donor car, and he want's to keep the cam that's in the motor.

Originally Posted by GraphicNature
ok here is the deal i have a trans am and i am going to pull the camed motor out it has a 228r cam in it and i am going to put a stock motor back in and build a 91 lx coupe car with the cammed ls1 and for ease of tuning and not haveing to mess with all the wires i just want to stick a carb on it and get her running for right now and later build a bigger motor so my question is how would the 228r cam do with a carb
I'm sure a carb would work ok with a 228R, guys have been running larger cams on SBC's for almost 50 years.

Obviously, you must want to put the T/A back to stock, because that's a lot more work than leaving it alone & just putting a cam in the other 'stock engine' and dropping it into the mustang.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

It will work fine but if it were me I would take the time to install the wiring harness and ecu when doing the implant. It won't take that much longer and then you have the same setup you are running now so you know how it should run. Once you go carbed and with a different ignition, it's going to take some time, money, and head scratching to get it to run halfway right.

Quick Reply: 228r cam ?