Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions, egr, pcm, harness question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions, egr, pcm, harness question

I have a 2005 5.3L from a GMC Savanna van I'm using for a swap into a 1990 Rx7. It came from the factory without egr or air pump. Reading on the GM powertrain site they claim these are no longer needed due to advances in the pcm control software. My engine didn't come with a harness or pcm so I now have to chose choose which one to get. I have to pass emission testing Where I live which will be based in a 1990 motor of 5.3L. Will using a harness or more specifically a pcm from a 99 - 02 vehicle cause me problems since these motors came with egrs and air pumps? Should I be looking for a pcm and harness from a 03 and newer vehicle which has the newer pcm and software and no egr / air pump. I plan on running cats and the front o2 sensors. I am also adding a 2001 Z06 cam and longtube headers. The motor was cable throttle from the factory and will stay that way. I know any pcm will need reprogramming and a tune. Any thoughts.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on the type of emissions test you need to pass. If it's a sniffer test, you should be able to pass it with an LSx PCM/harness, without EGR or an air pump. If it's an OBDII scan test, you probably need a 2005 GMC Savanna PCM.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It depends on how picky they are. If the pcm tells them it's 99-02 nad has egr or air then they may look for it in a visual. However if you use the correct year pcm and harness for the motor you should be good to go. I'd aim for the newer harness and pcm to CYA.