Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Got a Question

I've got an LS6 cam up-and-coming. Question is, what kind of springs will be beneficial with the cam?
Old 01-23-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While they are inexpensive, I don't see any reason to stick with LS6 springs when you are already planning to spray. Upgraded springs will better control the valve motions with the cylinder pressures you could see, and also in the event of a missed shift, etc.

The question most people are going to ask is why bother with the LS6 cam, when you can get more of a good thing with mild durations and wide LSA's and still retain the stealth afforded by the LS6 cam. A mild Comp XE grind would not impart an excessive amount of valvetrain noise. You could run a 212/218 .558/.563 116+2 cam that still has -17* overlap for a stealthy idle, and would still offer enough exhaust split to work with the spray. The extra duration and faster ramp rates (over the LS6 cam) would make a lot more power overall, and all without hurting the low end response at all.

Not the question you asked, but food for thought...
Old 01-23-2008, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

That helped a bunch. Speaking of the cam, with the 212/218 duration on the Comp cam, I was looking for a little less intake for better streetability. Plus, I'm keeping it as a daily driver, along with maybe a 100 shot for Fridays so the 204 duration would probably benefit me a little more; but then again you know more than I do . I'll consider that cam, though, because I really haven't looked into getting a custom grind.