Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any help in with the noise under my hood???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any help in with the noise under my hood???

well i installed pacesetter LTs a TSP Y pipe and i did my new spark plugs and wires the same time. i also removed the EGR/AIR emissions. its been about 3 weeks or so.. and about a week ago i started hearing an air noise. i cant really describe it its loud though and can hear it even when the hood is down. i couldnt figure out for the life of me what it was i thought it may have been a header leak so i tightened the bolts and they were all tight. i tightened all the exhaust clamps and still it was there.. i started to listen further back on the motor and put my ear up to my intake manifold and i believe its where the noise is.. well it sounds like it is anyway. any idea guys what may be causing this problem. oh when WOT it is really noticable. and feels like its sucking air or trying to get air.

and i dont have any kind of CAI or anything not even the FRA mod. just the lid. but the sound appears to be coming from or around the intake... any suggestions?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Regular

anybody?? oh and now when i let off the accelerator it sounds like its sucking in air or a second or two... like its taking a deep breath. any ideas help please.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

its kind of like a whistling sound too.. and its loud i thought maybe a crack in the intake manifold but on the bottom.. is there any way to tell? also i was reading that the PCV could have something to do with it. ill have to check that. please help
Old 01-24-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Do you have the LS1 intake? Did you plug the hole when you pulled the egr off? Are both fittings covering the egr/air on the lt's?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it running bad like you have a vaccum leak? (i.e. revving up really high on initial start up, skipping, lopey sound). an exhaust leak would be more of a ticking noise if the gaskets weer bad around the flanges. my only guess would be that th EGR hole wasnt plugged on the top front on the intake manifold, that would be anywhere you would have an air/hissing noise IMO. also check your lid for any cracks or somethin not sealing down correctly.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you remove the AIR pump?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

yeah i have the ls1 intake. and i used the 1 3/8" freeze plug in it and tightened it pretty dang tight. MattIROC what fittings are you talking about on the LTs?

its not necessarily running bad.. although today when it started to suck air or whatever it kinda felt sluggish but not much. as for revving up high i dont think so. at an idle its just below the 1k mark is that normal?

yeah i removed the AIR and EGR. but i didnt pull the fuse.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Regular

it back fired on me coming home to work today.... any suggestions guys??
Old 01-24-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

the air/egr fittings on the pass. side header. They should be covered up with a made to fit metal piece, and bolted down.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pull the relay/fuse for the AIR pump out and see if it stops. The AIR pump might be running even tho its not hooked up.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

i got the race style headers so it doesnt have any kind of fittings or need of block off plates. thanks though.

i was gonna try to pull the fuse but didnt get to it today. is it on the side of the dashboard or under the hood?

i took the air box off and bellow and opened up the TB and looked inside the intake manifold... and is it supposed to look wet inside there? it looked like old oil... it wasnt like in a puddle or anything but more like coating the walls of it. is this abnormal?

thanks for the help guys ill let you know what happens

Last edited by z28voodoo; 01-24-2008 at 10:22 PM. Reason: forgot
Old 01-24-2008, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

When you put the bolts in did you use anything to lube them up? When I installed my Jet Hot LT's I screwed up real bad on the back 2 pass bolts and cross threaded them. So what I thought was tight really wasn’t and the Headers were not sealed and I could hear a leak from inside the car but not outside with the hood closed. I got a piece of rubber hose and stuck it to my ear while I ran the other end up and down the seams of the Header to Heads. In the end I had to get the holes rethreaded and 2 new bolts. Hope that helps!
Old 01-25-2008, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28voodoo
i got the race style headers so it doesnt have any kind of fittings or need of block off plates. thanks though.

i was gonna try to pull the fuse but didnt get to it today. is it on the side of the dashboard or under the hood?

i took the air box off and bellow and opened up the TB and looked inside the intake manifold... and is it supposed to look wet inside there? it looked like old oil... it wasnt like in a puddle or anything but more like coating the walls of it. is this abnormal?

thanks for the help guys ill let you know what happens
The fuse should be under the hood.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Regular

No i dont think its a header leak. because i could run the bolts all the way up to the block with my fingers. and i used antiseize on them also. ill take a listen like you said and see if i hear anything.

alright ill pull that fuse out then. is there any bad concequences for doing so?

thanks
Old 01-25-2008, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28voodoo
No i dont think its a header leak. because i could run the bolts all the way up to the block with my fingers. and i used antiseize on them also. ill take a listen like you said and see if i hear anything.

alright ill pull that fuse out then. is there any bad concequences for doing so?

thanks
There will be no concequences for pulling the fuse. The pump is only there to pump in fresh air so your cats warm up faster. With race headers there is no purpose for the pump and you could remove it from the car itself.