Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rearend suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rearend suggestions

I'm thinking of upgrading my rearend before I break the 10 bolt.

my car ran 12.81 with my 355. I'm planning on building a 383 sbc to run 12.0's and spray it occasionally. But before I do I want to make sure the rear will hold up, with no worries. The car is mostly street driven and abused on Sundays and raced once or twice a year.

I'm not sure if I should go 12, 9", dana60 or s60
I don't make a ton of power so I think a 12 bolt would be fine but I keep hearing these things are prone to loud gear noise whinning and howling after bringing it to the track. I could deal with some noise.

When I drive it on the street, the wife is probly in the passenger seat, so if I don't want her to whine, the car can't whine, or we'll be drivin her four banger everywhere.

so what do yous think, 12 bolts are just plan whiny or is that due to poor setup, cheap internals, and overpowering them, if I installed the best of best parts would this prevent it?

I hear the 9" is great but, your ride hieght changes, gears are less efficient, pinion interferes with torque arm, driveshaft does not run straight, and its heavy.

dana 60 or s60 not to familiar with, I think its heavier then the 9", needs a shortened driveshaft,

I was wondering if people with quiet 12 bolt have the same internal external parts as loud 12 bolts

any suggestions????

anyone heard anything about the 12bolt offered by DTS??
Old 01-23-2008, 07:41 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by straightleg

my car ran 12.81 with my 355. I'm planning on building a 383 sbc to run 12.0's and spray it occasionally. But before I do I want to make sure the rear will hold up, with no worries. The car is mostly street driven and abused on Sundays and raced once or twice a year.

I'm not sure if I should go 12, 9", dana60 or s60
I don't make a ton of power so I think a 12 bolt would be fine but I keep hearing these things are prone to loud gear noise whinning and howling after bringing it to the track. I could deal with some noise.

When I drive it on the street, the wife is probly in the passenger seat, so if I don't want her to whine, the car can't whine, or we'll be drivin her four banger everywhere.

so what do yous think, 12 bolts are just plan whiny or is that due to poor setup, cheap internals, and overpowering them, if I installed the best of best parts would this prevent it?

I hear the 9" is great but, your ride hieght changes, gears are less efficient, pinion interferes with torque arm, driveshaft does not run straight, and its heavy.

dana 60 or s60 not to familiar with, I think its heavier then the 9", needs a shortened driveshaft,

I was wondering if people with quiet 12 bolt have the same internal external parts as loud 12 bolts

any suggestions????

anyone heard anything about the 12bolt offered by DTS??
For your power range the 12 bolt is what I would suggest. There are all kinds of different brands of gears you can choose. We like the Motive Performance due to the consistancy. Let me know if we can help you out.

Jeff
Old 01-23-2008, 10:22 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by straightleg

this may be true with other 9 inch rearends... but my fabricated 9 inch rears do not have these problems.
there is only a slight effect on ride height(1/4 inch), pinion does not interfere with the torque arm whatsoever, the driveshaft (pinion)offset is identical to stock, and the fab rearend equipped with an aluminum center section is the same or lighter than the stock 10 bolt... and best of all... its priced very competitive to all the others.
really, it's a no-brainer. Midwest fab 9 all the way. it may be a different story if you were not gonna see much track time. but if you abuse the car at all, then the 9 inch or S60 is the way to go.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:47 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Moser fab 9 will not alter the ride height either, and the torque arm that comes with this rear is the best one I have ever seen or used. Check out the design of the parts Moser came up with for the M9, it is very impressive! Bob
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1324

Here is a video Power TV made of the new Moser M9 at Sema.
http://www.powertvonline.com/user_vi...l.php?mId=2901

Last edited by Exotic Performance Plus; 01-24-2008 at 05:17 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

Default wow

now that looks impressive, thanks guys. guess I would have to sell my steve sophn torque arm as a package with my rear end if I go this route, need to look into this a little more, but this is the info I'm lookin for. thanks again.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:08 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

YOu can have a quiet 12 bolt. It is all in the setup. It is also easier to keep TC and ABS. YOu can fit a 9" easily as well. Alot of the decision will be based on what you want and what your future plans are. Let me know if we can assist.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

don't know wether it matters, but my car is a 1985 trans am so I don't have the TC and ABS to worry about.
I'm also in windsor, ontario, canada. across from detroit michigan, so when I figure out a set up, I need to get it or have it shipped to someone who is within about a 200mile raduis of michigan, so I could pick it up.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:44 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We can ship to Canada. The housing is able to be shipped UPS. The axles and center section can also go UPS.