Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LOW Profile Twin Screw IS POSSIBLE?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LOW Profile Twin Screw IS POSSIBLE?!?!

I imagine most of you don't remember a thread about 1 month ago that linked to LS1GTO.com for a NEW Twin Screw for GTO's being sold by Voodoo Inductions. BTW the thread turned into a cat fight so not worth looking into.

This kit was using the Autorotor (Same as Kenne Bell) 2.2L, 2.4L, 2.6L, and 2.8L units with a custom designed intake machined from billet aluminum that used a front mount intercooler system. It has a front mount Throttle Body just like the Magnachargers.

NON SPONSOR LINK REMOVED, WE HAVE SPONSORS THAT OFFER OTHER MEANS OF FORCED INDUCTION PAYING FOR THE RIGHT TO ADVERTISE HERE.

We have no problem fitting a front mount intercooler (ie EPP front mount intercooler), the GTO uses the same accessory drive as the Fbody, I THINK, and I imagine running charge pipes to and from the rear of the Intake Manifold is no issue.

Our problem is/has always been the cowel clearance, so I emailed Stewart Paternoster (owner of Voodoo Inductions) to get more technical information on the kit and I was BLOWN AWAY by what he told me the height is........................................
205mm from base of valley to top of supercharger (8")

The lowest TS supercharger I could find thus far is the KB at 9.5" tall, which requires cowel massaging to fit, but at 8" I don't think there would be ANY clearance issues?!

Now the problem is he wants like $10k for the kit!!!!!!!OUCH!!!!

I am posting this to see if there is any vendors that could possibly work with Voodoo, or make the manifold themselves and sell the kit for a more reasonable price ($7000-$8000) for the complete kit. It costs so much because of the fully machined intake manifold, it is not cast first.

Last edited by frcefed98; 01-24-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

I want twin screw
Old 01-23-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I really think there would be a HUGE market for a kit like this!!! But the larger companies (Kenne Bell, Whipple) want nothing to do with a car that is not being produced anymore. Everyone thinks fitting one is impossible, but with it only 8" tall it would easily fit.
I want one (and have the money), but I am a very skeptical of buying from an unknown person/company from overseas.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

earlier tonight on was on the starrperformance website and they were talking about putting one of their 3.3L kits in a GTO or similar australian car. didn't look too deep into it cause i wasn't interested. check that out though too. they at one point told me they were 100% positive they could make me a 3.3L kit for my truck for $10,000.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GrnDragon
I want one (and have the money), but I am a very skeptical of buying from an unknown person/company from overseas.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
earlier tonight on was on the starrperformance website and they were talking about putting one of their 3.3L kits in a GTO or similar australian car. didn't look too deep into it cause i wasn't interested. check that out though too. they at one point told me they were 100% positive they could make me a 3.3L kit for my truck for $10,000.
Yeah, Starrperformance is the exact same thing as the Whipple kit. They use a integrated air to water heat exchanger which makes the blower sit up too high for the Fbodys.

Doesn't Whipple still make the 3.3L truck kit?

Last edited by smokinHawk; 01-25-2008 at 09:31 AM. Reason: non sponser url removed
Old 01-24-2008, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

whats "Anodising"
Old 01-24-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

anodizing is a plating applied to aluminum parts. This is the coating on the red and blue AN fittings and on most paintball guns nowadays.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

he was saying that because on their website they spelled it incorrectly hence the "anodising"
Old 01-24-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

13k? Is it made out of gold?
Old 01-24-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NassyVette
13k? Is it made out of gold?
$13k is in Australian currency, but that is still $11,426 US! It better come with a forged 402 short block for that price
Old 01-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Yeah, Starrperformance is the exact same thing as the Whipple kit. They use a integrated air to water heat exchanger which makes the blower sit up too high for the Fbodys.

Doesn't Whipple still make the 3.3L truck kit?
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1144
The whipple truck kit uses the smaller 2.2L blower not the 3.3L.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:35 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

$13k is in Australian currency, but that is still $11,426 US! It better come with a forged 402 short block for that price
Everyone wants a twin screw, on a car that nobody else will touch due to space limitations. Then when someone spends the time, effort and of course money fabricating such a setup....

Everyone cries its too expensive.

What custom parts does anyone get for free ? Is it any wonder the likes of KB dont bother making one. It too would probably be expensive, then everyone who has cried for so long wanting a twin screw, would then start crying that its too expensive, and wont buy it.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

It's a good point though. I doubt I would pay over 9K for it, unless it would suck me too.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Everyone wants a twin screw, on a car that nobody else will touch due to space limitations. Then when someone spends the time, effort and of course money fabricating such a setup....

Everyone cries its too expensive.

What custom parts does anyone get for free ? Is it any wonder the likes of KB dont bother making one. It too would probably be expensive, then everyone who has cried for so long wanting a twin screw, would then start crying that its too expensive, and wont buy it.
For me it's not that it is too expensive, I was quoted $7,200 for a tuner kit that would have everything minus....
-Front Mount Intercooler (can buy from EPP for $300)
-Piping since his is GTO specific, I can fab my own
-Injectors
-Tune
-Any fuel system stuff

I would pay close to that for what he offered, but I am VERY weary of him being a small/UNKNOWN company from over sea.

If the manifold had been a cast piece it would probably cut $2000 off the price of the supercharger. If he had the capital (ie Kenne Bell or Whipple) it would 100% be a cast manifold. I am a Mechanical Engineer that works for the Government and I deal with the machine shop and sand cast mold making, and I can tell you there is a definite production number that warrants the decision to machine or cast. He must be expecting to stay small production numbers
Old 01-24-2008, 07:42 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another factor you have to take into account is the intake manifold. The one Kenne Bell uses for the corvettes is still pretty tall.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Another factor you have to take into account is the intake manifold. The one Kenne Bell uses for the corvettes is still pretty tall.
No this Voodoo setup is ONLY 8" tall with the intake and supercharger. He was able to make it so low because of using air to air intercooler instead of air to water, which requires making the manifold thick enough to hold the heat exchangers.

The Kenne Bell kit is 9.5" tall including the manifold, but has air to water intercooler.

I think this is what you were talking about with not taking into account the intake manifold.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:38 PM
9 Second Club

AFAIK Voodoo has switched to A2W, although I havent seen the layout yet.

Obviously stepping up to cast parts creates a financial outlay issue, that doesnt get returned until volume are sold. And as everyone knows...when a small operator trys to make that step. SO many of them just get swallowed up financially, and end up losing everything.
And when customers are scared to put their money where there mouth is....

Well, its hard for anyone to win.
And when there are so many nay-sayers and sceptics out there....TBH, if it had been me building that kit, and the attitudes of many on that thread over on LS1GTO....
Id have got rightly pissed off, and probably told a lot of people to F. off...build your own kit.

So many people say they want a kit...yet when someone was making one, mainly for themselves initially, the amount of people jumping on a bandwagon trying to crucify him for some reason was unreal.

But he has a twin screw LS1/GTO/Monaro.....everyone else doesnt !!!! So who wins
Old 01-24-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I totally agree with you, he was unjustly criticized over on LS1GTO. But all that skepticism does implant a little hesitancy in all possible customers. He needs to get more information out to give us something to see/touch/feel. I cannot find any more information on the web about the kit, and he hasn't responded to an email I sent him almost 1 month ago.

I hope you are not referring to me not putting my money where my mouth is, if so you haven't seen my car. I spent $13k on wheels tires and brakes, $1k on a custom gauge cluster I designed, and MANY other large purchases for my 95 TA. I am about to have the money to buy a 427 Warhawk and some Twin Screw setup, which right now I am leaning toward Kenne Bell's 2.8L with a full 8 rib system from Turn Key Engine Supply.

On another note...Does any one have the height of an LS1 intake manifold, and what the clearance is from the top of the manifold to the cowel? I have been basing all my measurements off my LT1.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:03 AM
9 Second Club

Im not referring to you specifically, but there are plenty of people who say "I want, I want I what" then when its available....

Its too expensive, etc etc etc. Excuses. Guess they didnt want it that bad after all.

I think, but dont quote me on it....that he is turning his back on the US guys with his kit, because of what happened over on LS1GTO.
I guess nobody needs that hassle on what was initially a smallish DIY project. If you can sell it locally with no hassles.....I know which option Id take, unless I was making serious money on it.

The other option was RJW's offering that he had in his Vette. Obviously pulley setup is slightly different, but his was a low profile system using a KB.
Perhaps contact him to see if he can help ?

Quick Reply: LOW Profile Twin Screw IS POSSIBLE?!?!