Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

my polished aluminum looks like #@%&

Old 01-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my polished aluminum looks like #@%&

My valve covers has some sort of hard film on them. The only thing I could think of is condensation. It looks horrible! I have alot of polished parts under my hood, and they are all getting this nasty film on them. Is there any type of protector I could put on them to keep this from happening? Also, how does the spray polish work? I am scared to use regular wax because I don't want all the dust with the motor compartment painted black. Can you suggest a brand or a better way?
Old 01-24-2008, 02:56 AM
TECH Addict

I originally had quite a bit of polished aluminum under my hood on TA - but I didn't want to eventually run into the problem you are seeing - so I had everything chromed.

A cheaper option is to re-polish all your aluminum parts and have them clear powdercoated. This is cheaper than chrome and will protect aluminum from ever oxidizing again. I had an entire polished aluminum manifold done like this - been on my 68 vette for years with no problems or degredation of finish. Powdercoat is even impervious to gasoline/solvents. Make sure that your powdercoater knows how to powdercoat aluminum CORRECTLY or you will have peeling issues down the road due to the coating not properly adhering to the metal surface.

Parts will need to be cleaned thoroughly in solvent, then pre-baked at 600 Deg for a couple hours to get rid of surface contamination and residue left in pores of aluminum. Then sprayed, and final bake/cure at 400 Deg for 1 hour.

With clear powdercoat - make sure the surface finish of the parts is as good as you want them to be - cause once the powdercoat is on - any imperfections are sealed in under the coating and cannot be fixed unless the powdercoat is removed - which is a major biatch.

-Jay-
Old 01-24-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

^you could do that or if not you could get this stuf called zoop seal...supposobly works really good, havent tried it yet though
Old 01-24-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CAMAROZ28AQUINO
^you could do that or if not you could get this stuf called zoop seal...supposobly works really good, havent tried it yet though
thats what i was going to say
Old 01-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Teching In

i will make a thread for the zoop seal. Thx for the advice
Old 01-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Teching In

You know since they are aluminum they will have come with a clear coat sealant type substance on them which means you will need to etch them with hydrochloric acid to remove the film then they can be polished like new. It's a common process and can be done on the car without hurting any other parts.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Restricted User

You should just powder coat all the parts silver or even polished aluminum (yes, it's a color)

Last edited by socmguy; 01-24-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

Originally Posted by socmguy
You should just powder coat all the parts silver or even polished aluminum (yes, it's a color)

PS, I do powdercoating. PM me for details
PS, that is non-sponsor solicitation. PM admin for details...
Old 01-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coredevice
i will make a thread for the zoop seal. Thx for the advice
Better yet, don't make a new thread asking about Zoop Seal. Use the search function instead since this topic comes up all the damn time

People better hope to God I don't become a mod here...the ban hammer would be out and swinging every single day.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 01-24-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zoop seal you say...
Old 01-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Better yet, don't make a new thread asking about Zoop Seal. Use the search function instead since this topic comes up all the damn time

People better hope to God I don't become a mod here...the ban hammer would be out and swinging every single day.
Maybe you need to find something else to do with your time. Who wants to read some old outdated thread. I did the search last post date with anyone asking how it worked was 2-2-07. Some things change......maybe since then something else has come out. The only other threads were about how to apply. Maybe you should only look at threads that you can add input on instead of . LOL
Old 01-24-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02

and....
Old 01-24-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by coredevice
Maybe you need to find something else to do with your time. Who wants to read some old outdated thread. I did the search last post date with anyone asking how it worked was 2-2-07. Some things change......maybe since then something else has come out. The only other threads were about how to apply. Maybe you should only look at threads that you can add input on instead of . LOL
Well, griping at a long-time poster, who often posts useful information, is one way to go about it...

Do you honestly think Zoop Seal has changed since February of last year? I'm betting it works about the same as it did then, unless they've come out with a new formula, which I'm pretty sure the frequent posters of this section would know about.

Nice attitude.

-Mike
Old 01-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Well, griping at a long-time poster, who often posts useful information, is one way to go about it...

Do you honestly think Zoop Seal has changed since February of last year? I'm betting it works about the same as it did then, unless they've come out with a new formula, which I'm pretty sure the frequent posters of this section would know about.

Nice attitude.

-Mike
another post with no usefull information. What is the point! You told me huh....lol....maybe since february a totally different company came out. How about I don't have all day to look through every single thread to find out. Isn't that what a forum is for? To ask questions that pertains to me? Why not instead of going around looking for a thread to bash you add a little input. What is my one thread going to stop the forum from working? I don't get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my polished aluminum looks like #@%&