Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Do I need a new cam?

Old 01-23-2008, 11:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Do I need a new cam?

I have a 2001 Z06 and I am putting in a fully built low comp 408 iron block.

Should I just throw my stock cam in it and work the stock LS6 heads over?

Should I get some AFRs and keep the stock cam? Aftermarket cam?

I plan on running the motor NA until I can afford a centri sc setup.

I plan on keeping my 100-200 shot of nitrous.

I plan to spin to the high 6K, maybe set the rev limiter at 7K.

Also, should I keep the LS6 intake? Port it? Does it matter?

Cost is a factor in this. If I can keep the stock heads that would be great. I can get them fully worked for 4 or 5 hundred bucks since my buddy has a machine shop and does this stuff on exotics (and an LSx here and there)...

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

If you keep the stock heads/cam, you will basically be driving a low rpm torque motor (ie truck motor) until you finish your mods. While this may sound bad, it might make for a pretty good daily driver until your funds are in order. Just don't expect to make any hero pulls on the dyno in that configuration. And bear in mind that those parts will need to be changed later if you want a big # combo.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gametech
If you keep the stock heads/cam, you will basically be driving a low rpm torque motor (ie truck motor) until you finish your mods. While this may sound bad, it might make for a pretty good daily driver until your funds are in order. Just don't expect to make any hero pulls on the dyno in that configuration. And bear in mind that those parts will need to be changed later if you want a big # combo.
Well, that's what I am asking. Changed to what? What intake, cam and heads should I use for my purposes? I've had a turbo 4 banger, tons of NA V8s, but never had a supercharger....

The car isn't a daily driver, I just don't have any cash at the moment (house down payment, ring, etc). The car gets 1000 miles a year at most. Why I bought the shortblock, I don't know.

Should I just leave it out of the car until I build the whole thing? Maybe that's the best idea....
Old 01-23-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

As long as you can do the work yourself, heads or cam swaps aren't that bad to do down the road. I really don't see a bang for the buck substitute for the ls6 intake until you go for extreme power. In the meantime, maybe look for some 314 6.0 heads to replace your current ones. You could probably find a swap deal that would cost almost nothing if you have the time to wait. BTW, a 408 will almost always be more fun than a 346, even if you have to build it piece by piece. As far as the cam, search the ads here frequently. Their is almost always someone who is unhappy about overcamming their 346 with something that might be great for a 408.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:14 AM
10 Second Club

Well I was thinking something in the 23x/24x range with a 625 lift..... The only reason I was considering my stock cam was because I saw a bunch of posts about how Z06 cams love boost. Anyway, I think the best thing to do is build the motor out of the car and just swap them then sell my complete LS6.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:02 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I have a 2001 Z06 and I am putting in a fully built low comp 408 iron block.

Should I just throw my stock cam in it and work the stock LS6 heads over?

Should I get some AFRs and keep the stock cam? Aftermarket cam?

I plan on running the motor NA until I can afford a centri sc setup.

I plan on keeping my 100-200 shot of nitrous.

I plan to spin to the high 6K, maybe set the rev limiter at 7K.

Also, should I keep the LS6 intake? Port it? Does it matter?

Cost is a factor in this. If I can keep the stock heads that would be great. I can get them fully worked for 4 or 5 hundred bucks since my buddy has a machine shop and does this stuff on exotics (and an LSx here and there)...

Thanks!

For a centrifical supercharger try to get the compression ratio around 9.5/1. No need to go any lower than this, it would make for a real sluggish bottom end.
Our blower camshaft would work great for your plans, and would work out N/A for you for the time being just fine.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=679

This is the cam we have in my '99 408/F1A ProCharger Z28, shown here.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=12 Bob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do I need a new cam?