Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx retrofit to a Lotus Elise or Exige. Who's gonna be the 1st? Parts needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSx retrofit to a Lotus Elise or Exige. Who's gonna be the 1st? Parts needed?

I want to eventually drop a BIG LSx engine in a LOW WEIGHT weekend toy.

I think the Lotus Elise or Exige could be the ultimate platform for my project.

Sooooooooooo,
who is going to be the first one to drop a LSx engine in a Lotus Elise or Exige?

Please keep us informed about your decision and the progress of your project.
I can't wait to find out who is the first one to do it and what parts are needed.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i highly doubt thatd fit in that such a small area. the lotus is as good as it is because the engine has a low weight as well. throwing a big heavy v8 may **** it up
Old 01-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Banned

The LSx might NOT fit in the Lotus platform.
But, I'm sure many of us would like to know for sure whether it would work or not.

I BELIEVE you are wrong about the weight of the LSx engine.
I BELIEVE the LSx engine adds little or no weight to the little RX7 and Miata and I think it would be the same with the Lotus.

Either way, the extra power that a LSx would make would be MORE than worth a few pounds.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ultimate platform for a LS1 besides a race car(factory five chassis) would be a 1972 Datsun 240Z PERIOD. You strip that car if you like and you have a easy 2200lbs or lighter LSX car. Yea 11's easy on motor on a stockish LS1 and god knows with a bigger motor, spray? turbo? supercharger? You do the math. I think the mid engine platform of that lotus would be way too complicated EVEN THOUGH my neighbor has an extremely nice and surprisingly quick Pontiac FIERO with a LT1 engine, and if you dont know its a mid engine car as well. Im sure the datsun 240Z i mentioned is the best overall though as far asengine position and weight. The car would have an almost 50/50 weight balance and still pull like a freight train. I know this because my other friend had a small block old school chevy motor in a restored 240Z Datsun and on motor(350 crank hp or so) it would pull up the front tires with slicks. And it was Scary **** on nitrous, too bad he wrecked it, it was way too fast. Beautiful car when done right but its too hard to find a clean body with no rust for the right price...You could also do a RX7, there is a huge aftermarket for engine swaps in that car as well and its super light compared to other swaps being a street car
Old 01-24-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tainted
i highly doubt thatd fit in that such a small area. the lotus is as good as it is because the engine has a low weight as well. throwing a big heavy v8 may **** it up
That big heavy V8 of a LS1 weighs just as much if not less than a "tiny" twin turbo 1.3L rotary Mazda motor. Surprise surprise, aluminum does wonders...LS1's weigh much less than ALOT of engines out there. I always wonder why mustang owners still love their iron blocked 4.6L and 5.4L tanks
Old 01-24-2008, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Total blasphemy. It would ruin a piece of automotive art. You can't throw rocks at me because I've put an LS7 in a 93 RX7 (best swap, period) and I am in the process of putting a 427 LS motor in a stripped down 280Z. The RX-7 with an LS7 runs like a bat out of hell and maintains the best factory handling ever...except for the Elise, which is about as close as you can come to Super 7 type handling in a street car. Putting an LS motor in would probably ruin the polar moment so bad that it wouldn't be the same car.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:27 PM
rao
TECH Resident

No, it would be a faster car
Old 01-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Mid engine, ugh.
I've done a few of LT1 into Fiero swaps, and they're all PITA vs regular FR chassis.
Also v8archie's kit uses Fiero trans and adapter plate, but its Getrag trans that comes IIRC v6's and will hold up.

There are FWD LS motors out there, that might be worth looking into.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Already considering something similar.
How about a late 70s Triumph spitfire? I think they're only 1600 lbs.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you want low weight why don't you do one of those factory five AC cobra replicas? They don't cost nearly as much as an elise or exige but also don't weigh as little. there aren't many cars you're going to be able to stick an LS1 in that weigh under 2,000 lbs. The only thing I can think of (minus Argon's crazy creation) is a T-bucket. some other dude had a carb'd LS1 in a T-bucket and it weighed 1650 lbs. That has to be insane to drive!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zigroid
if you want low weight why don't you do one of those factory five AC cobra replicas? They don't cost nearly as much as an elise or exige but also don't weigh as little. there aren't many cars you're going to be able to stick an LS1 in that weigh under 2,000 lbs. The only thing I can think of (minus Argon's crazy creation) is a T-bucket. some other dude had a carb'd LS1 in a T-bucket and it weighed 1650 lbs. That has to be insane to drive!
Yeah, that super 7 rocks. What does it weigh dripping wet, 1500 pounds?
Old 01-24-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

heh, so many ultimate light weight conversions...

Don't forget the Lotus 7 variants.

1750 lbs and losing weight as we speak... I believe a 1400 lb (or lighter) LSx powered 7 is completely possible.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Now that would probably outrun and outcorner any car on the forum
Old 01-25-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by silicone boy
Now that would probably outrun and outcorner any car on the forum
There is ALWAYS somebody faster. My LS1 only has AFR heads and a mild cam (headers coming soon), so some of these guys putting out insane numbers on heavier cars (and ANYTHING is more aerodynamic) will outrun me in the quarter.

I will have at least a few quarter mile runs under my belt with this car after this season (putting in beefier roll bar). Realistically I'm expecting something in the 10's, which will get me kicked off, but I'll get at least a run in. This car is also at home autocrossing (have plenty of runs with it), and soon some track time (HPDE).
Old 01-25-2008, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

I'm building a Locost (homebuilt super 7 clone for those who aren't familiar). I had a frame all built before, but I chopped it up because I had too many projects going on. I'm building another now because after putting the LS7 in my FD3S, I now have a spare twin turbo rotary engine and tranny. It won't be as absolutely fast as yours, but it should be a hoot to drive and a great autocrosser/track car.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by silicone boy
I'm building a Locost (homebuilt super 7 clone for those who aren't familiar). I had a frame all built before, but I chopped it up because I had too many projects going on. I'm building another now because after putting the LS7 in my FD3S, I now have a spare twin turbo rotary engine and tranny. It won't be as absolutely fast as yours, but it should be a hoot to drive and a great autocrosser/track car.
Best kind of recycling :thumbs:
Old 01-25-2008, 11:45 PM
12 Second Club

yea find me a lotus that is waiting for the swap. I would do it. But I'm not buying a running one to do that too cause I cant afford it.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by fenix999
The ultimate platform for a LS1 besides a race car(factory five chassis) would be a 1972 Datsun 240Z PERIOD. You strip that car if you like and you have a easy 2200lbs or lighter LSX car. Yea 11's easy on motor on a stockish LS1 and god knows with a bigger motor, spray? turbo? supercharger? You do the math. I think the mid engine platform of that lotus would be way too complicated EVEN THOUGH my neighbor has an extremely nice and surprisingly quick Pontiac FIERO with a LT1 engine, and if you dont know its a mid engine car as well. Im sure the datsun 240Z i mentioned is the best overall though as far asengine position and weight. The car would have an almost 50/50 weight balance and still pull like a freight train. I know this because my other friend had a small block old school chevy motor in a restored 240Z Datsun and on motor(350 crank hp or so) it would pull up the front tires with slicks. And it was Scary **** on nitrous, too bad he wrecked it, it was way too fast. Beautiful car when done right but its too hard to find a clean body with no rust for the right price...You could also do a RX7, there is a huge aftermarket for engine swaps in that car as well and its super light compared to other swaps being a street car
We're doing a 70 model right now. Its a drag only car though. We built an iron 6.0 408 with MAMO L92s/L76 combo, 12.5:1 SCR and what will be a good bit of nitrous, engine plates sitting waaay back and a nicely built powerglide. The car came to us with a who knows whats in it Gen 1 SBC and scrape marks all over the rear valance and bumper...good thing it has a wheelie bar on it now!
Old 01-28-2008, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TT C6
I want to eventually drop a BIG LSx engine in a LOW WEIGHT weekend toy.

I think the Lotus Elise or Exige could be the ultimate platform for my project.

Sooooooooooo,
who is going to be the first one to drop a LSx engine in a Lotus Elise or Exige?

Please keep us informed about your decision and the progress of your project.
I can't wait to find out who is the first one to do it and what parts are needed.
lotus did it with a SBC in the 90's i think. it was called the Elise GT1. think thye extedned the chassis a little and put a proper gearbox in.

also i think MTM did a Audi Rs6 V6 twin turbo in the back of one. was supposed to be pretty good!

personally id sitck with a Honda K20 for the elise. if you want more power then stick a K24 block in there and a crower stroker kit to make iut 2.6ltr than a turbo kit form full race to wrap it off. still its would be too much power for the chassis.

Chris.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99c5vert
heh, so many ultimate light weight conversions...

Don't forget the Lotus 7 variants.

1750 lbs and losing weight as we speak... I believe a 1400 lb (or lighter) LSx powered 7 is completely possible.

WOW! have you got any more info on this conversion?? what box was used?? always wanted a LS1 engined 7.

Chris.

Quick Reply: LSx retrofit to a Lotus Elise or Exige. Who's gonna be the 1st? Parts needed?