Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Figured I would ask...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Figured I would ask...

Ik its kinda vague. But given my setup of a CATTED TSP Y-pipe, and a Hooker Cat-back, how much hp would you guys guess i could gain from slapping a set of TSP true duals on my car? Figured I would try and get some quick input.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5 max.. according to a tuner I talked to he sees less than 5hp loss over a cutout on Hooker systems he has tuned on set ups running less than 450 rwhp. Apparently that 3" pipe and Aero chamber muffler really flow. I just installed my Hooker cat back today and am waiting for the QTP headers to compliment. Just trying to decide which way to go on QTP's shitty Y since I am lowered.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Probably not much, seems like the majority of people that have dynoed cars with the hooker catback/cutouts only gained like 3 hp with the cutouts open.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Launching!

agreed less than 5hp for 400$
Old 01-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Launching!

kk thanks for the input guys. I was hoping there would be a little better gain but i guess not. I'm sure switching over to the TSP true duals would save a LOT of weight vs my current set-up, but I will probably just stick to what I have now.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by suburbanlife866
kk thanks for the input guys. I was hoping there would be a little better gain but i guess not. I'm sure switching over to the TSP true duals would save a LOT of weight vs my current set-up, but I will probably just stick to what I have now.
Save weight? No. It would probably be pretty close. Your going to need an X-pipe, the clamps, and everything. If your trying to cut weight, true duals is not the way.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Not questioning your integrity, but I find it hard to believe that a TSP Catted Y-pipe, electric cut-out, and a heavy *** Hooker Cat-Back, could weigh less than a TD set-up thats dumped well before the axle. Could be wrong, but that seems HIGHLY unlikely
Old 01-25-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not questioning your integrity, but I find it hard to believe that a TSP Catted Y-pipe, electric cut-out, and a heavy *** Hooker Cat-Back, could weigh less than a TD set-up thats dumped well before the axle. Could be wrong, but that seems HIGHLY unlikely
Well it might weigh a little bit less, but probably not by much so basically he was saying it isn't worth the money.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shockwave179
Well it might weigh a little bit less, but probably not by much so basically he was saying it isn't worth the money.
Hit it on the head.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Well notice I also said that I would probably stick with my current set-up, and in no way was I considering true duals as my primary source of weight reduction. However, every little bit does help. Once you remove all the weight that you can from the car for free (which I have) you must then start spending often times large ammounts of money to cut more weight. Ex: Fiberglass hood, racing seats, lightweight wheels, etc... And those items cost way more in comparison to a true dual set-up, yet drop about the same ammount of weight. To each his own though I guess
Old 01-25-2008, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

Well notice I also said that I would probably stick with my current set-up, and in no way was I considering true duals as my primary source of weight reduction. However, every little bit does help. Once you remove all the weight that you can from the car for free (which I have) you must then start spending often times large ammounts of money to cut more weight. Ex: Fiberglass hood, racing seats, lightweight wheels, etc... And those items cost way more in comparison to a true dual set-up, yet drop about the same ammount of weight. To each his own though I guess
You would lose more weight taking your airbags out than you would by buying duals. Duals are a great thing, but they have downfalls. Loudness, drone, ground clearance, wont pass emissions, expensive, are dumped unless you spend lots of $$$ to have then extended. But over the Hooker Aerochambers and a cutout, you wont be able to tell a SOTP feel over the other. I run the loudmouth II system and love it, Im sure it flows just as good as a cutout does. Within +/- 1rwhp.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pntbll309
You would lose more weight taking your airbags out than you would by buying duals. Duals are a great thing, but they have downfalls. Loudness, drone, ground clearance, wont pass emissions, expensive, are dumped unless you spend lots of $$$ to have then extended. But over the Hooker Aerochambers and a cutout, you wont be able to tell a SOTP feel over the other. I run the loudmouth II system and love it, Im sure it flows just as good as a cutout does. Within +/- 1rwhp.
Trust me I completly understand all of the downfalls of true duals. I dont even have emissions components on my car (bought the catted y-pipe when the car had the components) so emissions would not be a problem. My whole point of starting this thread was to see the hp differences. I plan on getting an offroad y-pipe, so i figured i might just throw duals on there for the hell of it. Just trying to gather information. I do understand your points though and appreciate you chiming in.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:44 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

You'll gain more than you're hearing. 10-15

If you are already going to an ORY, just get the duals. You can get a fair amount of your money back if you sell the ORY and the catback too

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 01-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
You'll gain more than you're hearing. 10-15

If you are already going to an ORY, just get the duals. You can get a fair amount of your money back if you sell the ORY and the catback too
See thats kinda what i figured, but had no proof of the power gain, so I just shut up about it I figured I could buy the duals, lose weight, gain power, and practically make my money back by selling the TSP y-pipe, Electric cut-out, and cat-back