Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New style rear-main seal, opinions???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question New style rear-main seal, opinions???

I bought a new rear cover for my 383 build. The cover came with the rear-main already installed. I noticed that the old/original seal "lip" leaned towards the inside of the engine. The new seal/cover combo has the seal "lip" leaning towards the outside of the engine (see attached picture). I did some research (here) and found that this new cover/seal combo is not uncommon, BUT I am looking for any opinions and experiences with this new type...

(notice the white plastic insert that keeps the seal "lip" pointing outward...)

Thanks,
...any info appreciated
Attached Thumbnails New style rear-main seal, opinions???-newrearmain.jpg  
Old 01-24-2008, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a leak from my rear main area from from day one (bought the car new). 3 warr. repairs latter ( I hate having someone else work on my cars) still had the leak, not a bad one but a leak. I decided to live with it until I had the time to do it myself. I was also worried about a crank with to much run-out or a porise block. I did my H/C job 7k ago. I also replaced the cluch and did the rear main and both cover seals and the oil pan seal at the same time. I was told by the GM guy they reviesed the seal. Everything looked fine from the previuos repairs (clean work). Run-out was ok. I made sure all the surfaced were lined up correctly when putting it back together. Dry as can be for 7k now. I'm not sure if it was the seal or if they didn't line something up correctly. The leak was a pita to pin point.
Sorry for the long responce. I hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got that style, it's a good one.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by warp_6
I had a leak from my rear main area from from day one (bought the car new). 3 warr. repairs latter ( I hate having someone else work on my cars) still had the leak, not a bad one but a leak. I decided to live with it until I had the time to do it myself. I was also worried about a crank with to much run-out or a porise block. I did my H/C job 7k ago. I also replaced the cluch and did the rear main and both cover seals and the oil pan seal at the same time. I was told by the GM guy they reviesed the seal. Everything looked fine from the previuos repairs (clean work). Run-out was ok. I made sure all the surfaced were lined up correctly when putting it back together. Dry as can be for 7k now. I'm not sure if it was the seal or if they didn't line something up correctly. The leak was a pita to pin point.
Sorry for the long responce. I hope this helps.
Are you saying you used the same style rear-main as I am???

Old 01-24-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ I believe thats what he's saying. That he replaced the dealerships old version with the new version and has been leak free ever since. I'm curious what others think of this new seal as well, but if the old one is out of production it's pretty much a moot point.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SideStep
Are you saying you used the same style rear-main as I am???

That's what i was trying to say.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does this "new style" rear main seal require a new (different) installation tool, than the previous design? Anyone know?
Old 01-24-2008, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Because the new seal is tappered in the opposite direction I don't think you would run into problems with the lip rolling. I just used a straight edge to make sure all the housings / pan were aligned.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by warp_6
That's what i was trying to say.
Sweet, thanks for the info....

Old 01-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

I need to get a new rear cover and seal. Do you have the part number for it?
Old 01-25-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a possibility that some dumbass installed the seal into the rear cover you bought backwards....not everyone knows what they are doing. I would check to see which way its supposed to be.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Part number is #89060436.. I have an extra if anyone needs one $10... Anyone know how far to install this seal (push it all the way in) Or only push it in until its flush with the rear cover..
Old 01-25-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by moeZ28
There is a possibility that some dumbass installed the seal into the rear cover you bought backwards....not everyone knows what they are doing. I would check to see which way its supposed to be.

As stated in my first post it is suppose to be pointing that way.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NassyVette
Does this "new style" rear main seal require a new (different) installation tool, than the previous design? Anyone know?

yes there is a new tool, the new seal is actually a "double seal",, with a sleave built in to it that presses onto the crankshaft flange, the sealing surface of the seal no longer rides on the crankshaft flange but is internal to the seal itself
Old 01-25-2008, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jay_lt4
yes there is a new tool, the new seal is actually a "double seal",, with a sleave built in to it that presses onto the crankshaft flange, the sealing surface of the seal no longer rides on the crankshaft flange but is internal to the seal itself
Sounds like the seal should be pushed all the way in then correct?
Old 02-09-2008, 04:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jay_lt4
Where do we pick up the tool from?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Teching In

i installed 3 of the new seals the way they supposed to be installed on my blown ls3 and it leaked each time. reversed it and no leaks...not a fan of the revised version...lol

Quick Reply: New style rear-main seal, opinions???