General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I think I'm being scammed

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I'm being scammed

I need some help...

I'm new here, lurked on and off for a while though. I've always wanted an LS1 TA. I've found one at a "too good to be true" price in Orlando. It's $5700 for a car with 10k miles and a bad paint jod. In short, I want it.

The "owner" insists we use ebay and s(he) wants my name and address. They've given me the VIN: 2G2FV32G322142100

I know it's more than likely a scam, but I want to know definitely before I write off such a great price. Can anyone tell me more about that VIN? Thanks.

Edit: Did I even come close to posting this in the right place?

Last edited by t1 3vom; 01-24-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you looked at the car? are you sure its not a salvage title?

on the other hand, when you use ebay you get buyer protection. if you do get scammed, ebay can help you out with it. but if they insist on using ebay, pay them in person when they have clean title and car in hand.

ps- i bought my t/a off ebay. the seller was a car dealership. I won the car, and flew up to Georgia from Florida to pick it up. I didnt pay for it until i inspected it and test drove it. I was actually able to get the guy to knock off a few $100 because there was a few paint chips he didn't make aware in the ebay listing. just be smart about, do what your gut tells you too.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slayerized6
have you looked at the car? are you sure its not a salvage title?

on the other hand, when you use ebay you get buyer protection. if you do get scammed, ebay can help you out with it. but if they insist on using ebay, pay them in person when they have clean title and car in hand.
A couple things I should have mentioned. I found the car add on Craigslist, not ebay. Ebay came into the picture after the first time I contacted the seller.

I am in Maryland, and the car is in Orlando. All I know of the car is the pictures the owner posted on Craigslist, and the VIN they gave me. I'd post a link to the ad on Craigslist, but it's not up there anymore.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd be kind of leary on that... pay the 20 bucks for a carfax report... have them take a picture of the vin number on the car. But as slayer said ebay would be kind of helpful if it is a scam... also don't pay for it until you go to pick it up. If they won't agree to that then I would pass.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

99 times out of 100, "too good to be true" Craigslist deals are scams.

That is why Craigslist emphasizes doing deals in person.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

this sounds oddly just like a scam i ran across a month ago during my car search a lady in orlando wanting a ridiculously low amount for a TA and asking for my full name and address, it was listed on cars.com but she said the transaction would go through autotrader, well i researched and autotrader said they dont get involved in transactions just advertising so when i called her out saying i kno its a scam the ad was gone the next day, this could very well be the same person trying again any more info on them so i can see? absolutely dont buy it unless you can pay when you pick it up and everything checks out ok
Old 01-24-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by t1 3vom
I need some help...

I'm new here, lurked on and off for a while though. I've always wanted an LS1 TA. I've found one at a "too good to be true" price in Orlando. It's $5700 for a car with 10k miles and a bad paint jod. In short, I want it.

The "owner" insists we use ebay and s(he) wants my name and address. They've given me the VIN: 2G2FV32G322142100

I know it's more than likely a scam, but I want to know definitely before I write off such a great price. Can anyone tell me more about that VIN? Thanks.

Edit: Did I even come close to posting this in the right place?
Stumbled upon a deal like this before. Seller insisted that I pay using ebay and that it would be shipped in a sealed container at her expense. False, SCAM. I think it was also for $5700. It was a 2002 collectors edition. Long story short, ask to come see and pick up the car in person. If it is real, they will let you.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:28 PM

yea sounds fishie
Old 01-24-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

on the scam i found she also said she would ship at her expense, dont do it, say your coming to look at it and see how she reacts to that when i told the person trying to scam me i was coming to look at the car they got all fishy and said she couldnt get off the military base to show the car but yet could somehow ship it , this car was 5500 for a 99 ws6 with 30,000 miles
Old 01-24-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

i once found a $7500 1997 Camaro SS on the NYC/Long Island craigslist forum. Thing was cammed, had nice set of heads, fully worked engine, headers, exhuast, every bolt on you can imagine, every appearance mod you can imagine.

So i email the guy and im like, "hey, where on the Island are you from?, id like to take a look." Like an hour later i get an email back saying that the car is located in Croatia. The guy had it transported their after he went over seas on business.

At this point i know its a scam, but i wanna play along with the guy just to see how fucked up he is. The guy wanted me to wire him $10,000; 7500 for the car and the rest for shipping. I just feel bad for the potential boo boo that fell for his trick. You gotta be smart in this world!!

***But for you.....just keep talking to the guy. Just bombard him with basic questions about the car, why hes selling it, etc. Repeat everything a few times in different contexts; try to catch him in a lie. And if he wants to do it by ebay, thats fine. Just pay him with a check when you see the car, dont bring cash! (read below)

About 2-4 months ago, a couple of scumbags where robbing people of the money. These 3 hoodlums put an ad on the long island craigslist claiming to sell a porsche 911. After speaking with a couple potential buyers, they told the customers to meet at their house and bring $5000 in cash if to make a down payment. Well, it was an abandoned house in the ghetto neighborhood of long island. Potential buyers knock on door, 3 scumbags jump them from behind and steal their $5000 down payment.....get the picture, dont bring cash
Old 01-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by binks0678
on the scam i found she also said she would ship at her expense, dont do it, say your coming to look at it and see how she reacts to that when i told the person trying to scam me i was coming to look at the car they got all fishy and said she couldnt get off the military base to show the car but yet could somehow ship it , this car was 5500 for a 99 ws6 with 30,000 miles
She told me she'd ship at her expense too. I told her I'd come to look at it several times... I basically aske dher if she was scamming me that last time, and I haven't heard back... Thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by t1 3vom
She told me she'd ship at her expense too. I told her I'd come to look at it several times... I basically aske dher if she was scamming me that last time, and I haven't heard back... Thanks for the advice everyone.
You could put a post in the FL section asking someone in Orlando to check it out for you...
Old 01-24-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

That does sound weird, but then again the fact that she wants to be secure with eBay is great. With eBay you can't be scammed if you read everything right and know what you are getting. Also, eBay will save records just in case you do get scammed so you can sue.

If you want to avoid any problems or set backs, just keep looking around locally first. Check the classifieds on this board as well. Best of luck to you.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

alright if you attempt buy that car, I will seriously come there and slap you.. this is obviously a scam, and a dumbass running it.. do yourself a favor, and report it to craigslist, or wherever you found it.. also report her email addy to whoever she is using as her domain i.e @yahoo @aol
Old 01-24-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

I would never trust ebay.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sprayjunkie
You could put a post in the FL section asking someone in Orlando to check it out for you...
I could, and I've thought about that, but she won't tell me where the car is. Thanks again for all the help. I appreciate it.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

There was a guy on here that posted this before. Is it a Yellow Trans Am?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

RUN AWAY fast, and don't look back!! There are some really nice cars on this site for sale.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Z284U2TRY
I would never trust ebay.
Bought my last two F-Bodies over eBay. Loved the first and love this one. Both were perfect in every way, and the transactions were 100% smooth and simple. Had my current one for three years (~40K miles), the other for two. Never had any problems, and I drive the **** out of them.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

i bought mine off ebay,,,,from Nate at Nasty Performance. You can still see my car on his website (he's a sponser here) under the services tab...

It was kinda a scary experience at first, but Nate was very helpful and such. I still talk with him about the car, mods, etc to this day. I know that not everyone can get this lucky, but buying off eBay isnt all bad.