Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought headers! Finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool Just bought headers! Finally!!

I finally picked up a pair of stainless steel LT's! I cant for them to arrive so i can put them in! Quick question, I have never done a header install before, what else do i need? I just want it to run without it throwing codes until i can bring it to a tune shop, i heard corvette O2 sensors stop it from throwing codes???? Do i need to but any new gasgets, clamps(i heard these clamps that come with it suck), or anything that will make this a little easier? Basically what else do i need to buy. Im going to take alot of pics and tell everybody how the fitment was for the $440 dollar headers and ORY. Here are the pics of them from the website.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What brand are they and where did you get them from? Good deal!!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Teching In

I seen these on ebay.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks! They are ebay....cough cough....i didnt want to say it to draw buisness away from our sponsors, but when i emailed them and they told me they were stainless race style LT's for $399 plus 40 shipping i couldn't resist. Plus it looks like the driver side collector and y pipe have been fixed
Old 01-24-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Look like XS style headers. Good purchase from what I've heard.

Only thing I would do is replace those u-style clamps with some band clamps to help sealing and make it easier to get apart, should the need ever arise.

Oh and buy a can of PB Blaster to soak the rusted-*** bolts overnight.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Da Swami

Oh and buy a can of PB Blaster to soak the rusted-*** bolts overnight.
ha ha, mine are gonna have to soak for weeks
Old 01-25-2008, 08:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Let us know how the install goes and any dyno numbers after the install!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

I will as soon as i get on it, I know a lot of people want to know what these things do. I will even get some videos up for sound. How much does it normally cost to tune your car? Do i need to still buy o2 sims and extensions if im tuning it? How bad will it run until i get it tuned? So far i know i need new clamps, and PB Blaster. Do i need corvette sims or regular 02 sims?
Old 01-25-2008, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

If its just a sim, get the ones for your car. As for how the car will run, you will be fine, maybe a little rich. But the tune will run around $400 and up. But please let us know how they work, Im curious with all the Ebay header debates going on.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would be interested to see if they fit without major complications.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

So I should be fine without a tune for a little while? Im planning a cam install soon should i just skip the tune and tune it then? If I skip the tune and if i put in sims and extensions will i still throw codes? how bad will my MPG be effected? Im going to take pics through out the entire installation, I really want to know what these headers can do too
Old 01-25-2008, 04:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by foreverzero
So I should be fine without a tune for a little while? Im planning a cam install soon should i just skip the tune and tune it then? If I skip the tune and if i put in sims and extensions will i still throw codes? how bad will my MPG be effected? Im going to take pics through out the entire installation, I really want to know what these headers can do too

Your car isnt going to run like crap, you probably wont even notice a change. And with the o2 sims you shouldnt throw any codes. Just remember the sims are after the cats and will send a pre-programmed "everythings running fine" to the computer. If your doing a cam soon, Id just wait on a tune.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

I read somewhere (i think it was chocotaco) said that it decreases engine life if you go WOT.....i love doing that, so i dont want to risk blowin it up yet. Are the o2 sims the first set of holes from the engine or the second...and what about o2 extensions? Cant i just put a bolt in there or do i really need them? I m thinking of tuning it anyways because Im planning to do the cam next year (hopefully sooner)
Old 01-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read somewhere (i think it was chocotaco) said that it decreases engine life if you go WOT.....i love doing that, so i dont want to risk blowin it up yet. Are the o2 sims the first set of holes from the engine or the second...and what about o2 extensions? Cant i just put a bolt in there or do i really need them? I m thinking of tuning it anyways because Im planning to do the cam next year (hopefully sooner)
It's not going to blow your engine up by going WOT. I've been running untuned for a few months now, but I'm also back up in school so I haven't been driving much at all for the past 3 months. Headers will lean you out way in the high rpm's, and lean conditions are never good for the motor, but it's not going to kill the motor fast or anything. It's just safe to assume that it's not as good for the motor to run untuned after headers as it would be to get it tuned. It would probably take tens of thousands of miles or longer for any ill effects to really take shape. Many people on this site never get a tune and have been problem free for years. Again, just know, it's definitely healthier for the motor to get a tune.

It all depends on how badly it messes with the stock tune, too. Some headers may not affect the stock tune as badly as others. Some cars run just find after a header install and others run a little rougher than others. There may even be a car or two out there that ran awful after the header install, so bad that driving around untuned really could cause severe damage. It's possible. No two cars will react exactly the same. Whatever you do, just know a tune after headers will be healthier for the motor and show much greater power gains from the install over a broader rpm range. I just don't want to mislead you into believing that longtubes will blow up your car if you don't get it tuned ASAP
Old 01-25-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Ha Ha, that made me feel a lot better about not running a tune, thanks, im just real **** about my motor
Old 01-25-2008, 06:15 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks! They are ebay....cough cough....i didnt want to say it to draw buisness away from our sponsors, but when i emailed them and they told me they were stainless race style LT's for $399 plus 40 shipping i couldn't resist. Plus it looks like the driver side collector and y pipe have been fixed
Not 100%...Look at the pics where they are mounted to the engine on the stand. You can still see the angle there.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, but it looks alot better than there first set that came out, i imagine these will be easier to put them in, but that is what I am going to find out!
Old 01-25-2008, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, but it looks alot better than there first set that came out, i imagine these will be easier to put them in, but that is what I am going to find out!
I like em, Im debating on sending back my QTP's for them.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

How much did you pay for the QTP's? They have a set for sale without the Y for $219 if you want to keep your ORY. And if you want the emission style, I can foward you an email of a guy that is selling his cheap.
Is anybody wanting to sell their o2 extensions or sims?
Old 01-25-2008, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

How much did you pay for the QTP's? They have a set for sale without the Y for $219 if you want to keep your ORY. And if you want the emission style, I can foward you an email of a guy that is selling his cheap.
Is anybody wanting to sell their o2 extensions or sims?
I got them for like $600 from a local shop owner whos a friend.