Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time engine build "HELP"

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st time engine build "HELP"

Here goes. I'm looking into building my first engine, I'm looking for all the help and specs i can get. I've been searching and came up with some good info. But not specific to what i'm doing. I just pulled my ls1 out of my 2000 trans am. I now have it all tore down. Oil pressure was 40 or so when pulled it and everything seemed to be fine so i'm not really worried about damaged parts. Lets start with my goals and ideas......

1. h-beam rods, diamond pistons, bearing etc.. possible 347 "OPEN TO OPINIONS"

2. stock crank
Thats the goal for the bottom end. I'm just looking for somethin to hold up to 600-700rwhp. Heads and cam are least of my worries. Now for the "HOW TO"

1. what kind of block work needs to be done to put my ideas together. Such as machine work boring, honing or whatever i'm leaving out.
2. I have a gm tech doing the work for me. Is there anything i need to watch out for or check for.

I hate to post but i don't wanna waste sponsors time on the phone, sounding stupid. I'm new to the whole idea of doing block work. PLEASE someone help and coach me through my project....
THANKS
Old 02-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the main thing about building an engine is all in the measurements... there are alot in your bottom end, such as crank shaft end play, even though im sure your going to bore out yout block i would still measure for tapper and out of round, piston to cylinder wall clearance, piston ring end gap, and make sure you measure your main bearing and rod bearing clearence between the bearing and the journels.. you will have to find all the specs, either on alldata or just a haynes book or something.. i would be very picky on the specs and get them as close as possible there is so much in building an engine and so much to forget to do that will cost you big time in the long run.. but just take your time and if you not sure of something research it and make 100% sure. but good luck man!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're willing to spend a few hundred $$ on precision tools...mics, torque wrench, rod bolt stretch gauge, angle torque rig, etc...and have someone who has training/experience in engine building work with you hands-on during the build, you'll have a really nice engine.

If you're planning on reading a book, asking questions here, learning as you go, and using PlastiGage...you'll have an expensive pile of junk with a crankcase full of metal.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if I were you I'd either buy an assembled longblock or find a shop with LS1 experience to do the assembly. The school of hard knocks isn't cheap or quick. The cost of the precision tools alone is more than shop labor to assemble, just doesn't make economic sense.