General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Intresting V8 blog....

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intresting V8 blog....

Hopefully not true and never will be but its an intresting outlook on v8s http://www.lousplymouth.com/index.ph...r-v8s-in-sight
Old 01-25-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think the cut is in 2012, i made a post on it before. but apparently there will be harsher emission laws and we will be going back to the early 70s in a way....cuts in hp and what not.

although this is bad for people wanting to go fast, i think we will still have aftermarket and we will get more hp and mpg in the years to come
Old 01-25-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

whatever. Im so sick of this bullshit.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

******* let'm.. by 2015 everythings gonna be deisel pretty much (atleast this is what they are teaching in auto tech school)

ill still be driving a chevy V8
Old 01-25-2008, 05:33 PM

I will still have my cars. They can do whatever they want to the new stuff. Although I should probably get that order for the new Camaro ready. GM may terminate the Camaro again if this madness keeps up.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

As long as they don't implement a plan to nuke all 4th gen f-bodys, I should be set for life.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Lot's of pissed off car freaks wil parade in front of the white house. This would be the biggest mistake for the car manufacturers and government. I doubt the President will take out the V8 out of his limo.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

wow some of you guys need to look at the bright side of this, sure it will suck short term but think about what it will bring to the sport in the long term. think about it this way in the 60's we were makin v8's pushin 3-4 hundred HP but gettin 12MPG, then the whole emissions thing happened and our cars sucked for a while (TPI and all that crap) but then car makers are makin LSX's pushin 350-400+ and cappable of gettin high 20's and even 30 MPG's. now the government wants to put more laws on the book, just think about what the future holds. I can def. see a 5-6 hundred HP car gettin 40+ MPG with the use of new technology being in the not too distant future. THE NEED FOR SPEED ISNT GOING ANYWHERE WE WILL ALWAYS FIND WAYS TO GO FAST REGUARDLESS OF THE EMISSION LAWS AND USUALLY IT WORKS OUT THAT THE NEWER BETTER TECHNOLOGY WILL BE 100 TIMES BETTER THEN WHAT WE HAVE NOW. hell I can even see in 20 years LS1's bein looked upon as TPI's
Old 01-26-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

that really sucks, i hope that this is just a crock.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Yah I think its funny becuase everyones not going to be able to afford hydrogen cars and electric cars, just think of the look on there faces when you drive by one of them in AN LSX with no cats lol
Old 01-26-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think they need to stop talking about hydrogen and fuel cell cars..they're not yet viable, and there's practically no dealer network to refuel them.

I say diesel is the eay to go...diesels get better mileage, and actually don't pollute anywhere near as much as people think they do. Also, biodiesel is great, and needs to spread into much wider useage.

I also think it's not V8's themselves that are the problem, it's the vehicles that most V8's live in. When people finally wake up and realize that they don't need a 6,000 lb, 13mpg SUV to do the same job that a 4000lb, 25mpg minivan will do better, that will be a huge help right there.

Also, cars keep getting larger and more powerful. Cars actually got better avg. economy back in 1985 than they do today, and back then some cars were doing it with carbs! Does anyone really need a 268hp Camry or Accord?

And as far as V8's, once again, not necessarily the problem. The fact that a 300hp plus 5.7 liter engine in an F-Body or a Vette can knock down close to 30mpg hwy is crazy! Alot of 4 cylinders can't do that! I get better mileage with my Formula than my brother gets in his 3.0L Mazda 6.

Lastly, and I am in NO WAY in favor of this, maybe instead of making carmakers make thier vehicles more efficient, they should make people WANT to buy vehicles that are more efficient. Look at Europe and Japan. Do you think they LIKE driving around in those tiny cars? I don't. But at 6 bucks + a gallon, they don't have much choice.

It's not like automakers are holding anything back...I'm sure if Chevy could build a 25mpg Tahoe, it'd sell like crazy. It's just physics. But as long as people keep buying 13mpg SUVs', car companies will keep on pumping them out, and hurting thier CAFE rating.

Just my .02.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

I'm locking this because this isn't really the correct section for this, and there are already TONS of threads just like this in a automotive news section (please join the discussion there if you wish).

But I will say this, that link is

First off, the OEMs have until 2020 to attain 35mpg average, not the 42mpg average stated in that link.

Secondly, the V8 is not "going away". You will still see them in Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, etc.; and V8 turbo diesels in trucks. You will also likely see more LS4-type V8s (using DOD/cyliner shutdown technology) in all types of cars that use a V8 (even sports cars).

Times are changing, but the hobby is not dead. Never will be. And the V8 will not vanish for the foreseeable future. Direct injection, cylinder shut down technology, more advanced PCMs, forced induction with smaller displacement, and more complex transmissions/gearing will allow fuel economy to increase while power is still maintained and even improved.

Mark my words.