Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cheaper to build motor or have it built?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cheaper to build motor or have it built?

J/W I'v priced out a few engines.. mainly stock alum 346's and Iron 6.0's usaully with machine work balancing and the parts everything is pretty close to most of the sponsers here.. maybe I am not finding the best deals? here's what im thinking about building

Stock Cube (maybe alittle bored out depends on machining) FI motor looking to make 5xx on a low psi and maybe high 6xx's
Stock LS1 Crank
Diamond, Mahle,Wiseco low compression pistons
Callie,Scat H-beam Rods
ARP Hardware throughout
Dunno on the bearings yet..

I have all the tools to put it together digital torque sticks, stands, lifts and went to school for the stuff im just wondering if its worth it?
Old 01-26-2008, 12:13 AM
Dex
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ones it priced building it yourself it came out a few thousand cheaper dont remember the exact number off hand, but it was cheaper to build yourself.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Building it yourself comes with a certain amount of risk vs. buying a motor that someone else will stand behind. But it can be cheaper up front to do it yourself. So you have to decide what's best for you. How confident are you in your ability to put it together and check everything as you go, and that it will take a beating when your done? I would build my own just for the satisfaction of doing it unless I came upon a deal I just couldn't past up from a reputable builder.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveX
Building it yourself comes with a certain amount of risk vs. buying a motor that someone else will stand behind. But it can be cheaper up front to do it yourself. So you have to decide what's best for you. How confident are you in your ability to put it together and check everything as you go, and that it will take a beating when your done? I would build my own just for the satisfaction of doing it unless I came upon a deal I just couldn't past up from a reputable builder.
keep it clean and make sure you get all the clearances right thats where 90% of engines (survey done by ASE) fail in the real world

ya id rather do it myself to for satisfaction plus im gonna be doing it for the rest of my life so might as well do it now I know what block im gonna go with and crank but rods/pistons are up in the air all I know is 8-9 compression