Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing T56 in my 68, pedal/crossmember questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installing T56 in my 68, pedal/crossmember questions

I've been reading here and at pro touring and still havent found a clear answer. I know www.t56kit.com sells a bracket, pedals, and all for the swap. I'm swapping in a D&D LS1 T56 30 spline, and i need a slave cylinder for it. The stock one will work correct? I dont have a master cylinder or any pedals other than the factory auto. Now can i just ad an LS1 clutch pedal and master and just put a smaller pad on my factory auto brake pedal?

Also with the crossmember i have read i can just ad a 2x2" plate to my factory TH400 crossmember, is that true? I just bought it for the 400 i had in here, it's brand new and would hate to have to buy another one. I'd preffer to just modify this one if I'm able to.

As far as mounting i had planned on using the hooker mounts as I'm using their LTs, i do have SFCs, and my steering is manual steering. The car was orgionally a OHC 6 cylinder with a 3 speed.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shawn, you have some questions, lets see what we can come up with.

For starters, you cannot use the automatic style brake pedal. You can buy the full pedal assembly which has both the brake and clutch pedals, the crosspin, and the clip from places like Ricks First Gen. You may even score a used set.

Second, If you can weld, you should be able to re-use the TH400 Xmember.

For the clutch setup, there are several approaches. The most common is to adapt the F-Body Master from a 4th gen to your car. Several people sell the adapter and give moutning instructions for it, or you can make the plate yourself. It is not a super fun area to work, but it is doable. It is best to have the fender and inner wheelhouse off the car when you attempt this. S&P has a decent write-up of this procedure on their site ( www.hotrodlane.cc )

I do not have firsthand experience with the plates and headers you are running, but several people have used them. The 6cyl mount pedastals should work, in theroy they are the same as the small block setup.

I am not certain about the slave cylinder working with your 30 spline, but I do not see why it wouldn't. Contact the vendor to make certain.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Well the trans shouldnt be any different than an LS1 trans as thats what it came off of, i just need a 30 spline driveshaft.

So I'll have to buy a set of manual pedals for a 67-68 camaro, a stock adjustable clutch master, a slave cylinder, and a mounding bracket from www.t56kit.com. Right?

This car had a 400 in it when i bought it it was just origionally a 6 cylinder car. I have a set of new SBC frame mounts.

What exctly needs to be done to modify the stock xmember?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

We did not use a stock xmember, we used a tubular from Street and Performance to get a little more exhaust clearance. Look at the xmember that Rodder used, I like it alot. You do not have to buy from t56kit unless they are who you have chosen as the vendor, lots of places selling the stuff. You will need a master for the clutch.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i hav eyet to do my cross member yet and my 68 also had a th400 in it. but i have heard that you cant use it (the th400 xmember) on automatic cars?

does anyone have any pictures of how they have modified a stock 400 crossmember so they rest of us can SEE what it looks like modified??????
Old 01-27-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah id like to see this also.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only modified xmember I have seen a pic of is the TH350 xmember.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

I've seen cut up TH400 crossmembers for some BRP LS1 mounts with T56 (kind of in the middle of the crossmember) and for SBC with a 700R4, but haven't seen one for a LS1/T56 with S&P, ATS, or Hooker mounts. At the minimum you'd need to flip and drop the mounting location, move the crossmember back a few inches, and drill new holes in the subframe. I think you'd need to clearance the floorpan to clear the crossmember that far back too. S&P has some nice pics of their crossmember that might help put it in perspective.

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/69ls2t56/t56crossmember.html
Old 01-29-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is plenty of used pedal sets out there, I think I might have a pair or 2, but I'd fab up a X member before trying to use the T400 one, looked like a real pain in the azz,
Old 01-29-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Even buying an aftermarket xmember isn't really that expensize. The S&P we have works good and was cheap, but I really like the one Rodder used, it is adjustable and easy to remove.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 6 speed/ clutch

sorry dont mean to hijack, has anyone bought and used the adapter plate that bolts to the 6 speed -w/o the bellhousing - allowing you to use stock bellhousing/clutch pedals/bellcrank? just thinking about using this setup since my stock setup is all new seems easier since you dont have to adapt all the hydraulics

XXXX Rodder this will be in a SBC not a lsx XXXXX
midnight 68- PM sent!

Last edited by zman1969; 02-01-2008 at 07:53 AM. Reason: added more info, trying not to hijack by posting more
Old 01-30-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

There's no provision for the Z-bar pivot stud on the LSX engines--you'll have to fab a bracket for that. There's nothing hard about bolting in an ATS or S&P bracket for the mastercylinder and drilling and tapping the pedal. Well, getting the pedal out is a slight pain in the neck, but still wouldn't call it hard.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:07 AM
Staging Lane

Zman if you are talking about a 6 speed to a sbc then I have used the plate that Mcleod makes that allows you to use all the stock stuff. It worked great. If you are looking for a plate PM me I am selling mine.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 67rsss
Even buying an aftermarket xmember isn't really that expensize. The S&P we have works good and was cheap, but I really like the one Rodder used, it is adjustable and easy to remove.
granted, its not that expensive, but if i have a th400 crossmember thats is supposed to work with litte modification, why not just use it? buying an aftermarket one would seem (to me ) like spending money on something you dont need, or is it that difficult to modify and use the stock one?

everyone says its easy to use the th400 one, yet no one puts up pics of how they have done this?

i'm just saying if its sooooo easy, why would i want to spend money i could use on things i NEED?
Old 01-31-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by leonpiper69
granted, its not that expensive, but if i have a th400 crossmember thats is supposed to work with litte modification, why not just use it? buying an aftermarket one would seem (to me ) like spending money on something you dont need, or is it that difficult to modify and use the stock one?

everyone says its easy to use the th400 one, yet no one puts up pics of how they have done this?

i'm just saying if its sooooo easy, why would i want to spend money i could use on things i NEED?
Who said it was easy? I saw that said for a Chevelle, and from someone running BRP mounts in a 1st gen Camaro, but haven't seen anyone say it in reference to 1st gen F-body with the engine and transmission where they belong (S&P, ATS, etc) or even farther back (Hooker). Looking at pictures of S&P's crossmember (http://www.hotrodlane.cc/69ls2t56/t56crossmember.html), I'm thinkin there are a couple of big gotchas with a modified TH400 crossmember.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

I got my T56 here and what it looks like is you will have to remove the cross member and bolt it to the bottle of the frame rail (rather than top) as the t56 mount seems to sit lower and you will need to bolt it back a few inches. I dont have the trans in the car or anything just what it appears to me to be. Most of those x members mount to the sides of the frame rail and mount near the end of the frame. I think i will end up going with the aftermarke frame rail as i cant modify mine without removing my SFCs which were a huge PITA to put on. I can drill straight through both sides of the frame rail and just use longer bolts.

Quick Reply: Installing T56 in my 68, pedal/crossmember questions