Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

port matched heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default port matched heads

When i put the motor in the truck i had to go through it and clean all the dirt out of it and have the cylinders cleaned up. Well the heads were sitting there stareing at me so i decided to port match them. I started by bolting the stock metal exhaust gasket to them and outlined the holes, then took the gasket off and started grinding i only ground the first 1/2" then blended the rest. i touched on the valve guides some but not a whole lot. then i fliped it over and was looking at the intake side where the gasket had been mating to the head and did the same thing to it ground the first 1/2" in and blended the rest and touched on the guide. Would that hurt anything???!!! I wanted to take the rocker bolt boss out but didnt know about the oil affecting them maybe comming loose
Old 01-26-2008, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

it's ok to touch the valve guide when porting. you can grind away all the material around the guide and blend it in. obiously don't grind too much material from the guide just the aluminum around it. take out the rocker bolt boss too just use sealant on the rocker bolt when putting it back together. do a search on here there is a lot of good info on head porting. here are some pictures of a set i did hope it helps.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok but will opening the outter edge of the intake runner from the intake hurt or help because when i look at these port jobs people do on here they dont port match like i have
Old 01-26-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

As you can see i hit the outter edge hard and didnt touch the deeper parts much i just removed some of the casting lines but not alot

Old 01-27-2008, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

i would reccomend gasket matching the exhaust for sure deffinetly on the top because thats what matters the most for flow. as for the intake i just ground out the casting lines and blended it all together. the more you take out and the bigger your runner is the more flow your gonna have but if you take out too much you loose vlosity. being your first time i would reccomend blending out the casting lines and widening the intake just a little.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

well they have been like this since last summer sometime in june - july - or hell maybe even august!!!! I was just wondering if it hurt the power some by opening the outters so much!!! I think depending on how much i get back from taxes and after buying a ring for the gal, if i still have enough money left i might buy some TEA Stg. 2 LS6's at around a 60cc with a .040 gasket
Old 01-28-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looking at the Patriot Stage 2 LS6's 59cc with 2.02/1.57 valves and .040 cometics!!!! I know its a proven combo on another truck but i dont know his cc chambers. Would this get me around another 35 - 40 HP and how would it be under the curve.