Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

need rear end help PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need rear end help PLEASE!

I've had a sound coming from the rear end. It's a low kinda bearing noise sound. Had the tires replaced not to long ago and the tire guy asked my wife if she had noticed a sound without my wife even saying anything. then he told her that there was some slack and that is was probably the rear axle bearing. right now I've got the rotors off and I can't feel but maybe a 1/16" of slack in all directions. Is this normal? Also I can hear kinda of a pulse sound on the drivers side when I turn the axle but only bearing or gear noise when turning the passenger axle. Should I hear any noise at all? Also I got the cover off the differential and I can see a little bit of a ridge deep in the teeth of the ring gear. Is this normal wear? Please any help would be great. I've never messed with a rear end before.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:32 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd first replace the whel bearings and see if that takes care of it, everything else sounds like normal wear. Bob
Old 01-26-2008, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the help I guess I'm just paranoid. Don't like to work on things more than once. I'll go ahead with changing the axle bearings. Thanks again.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:01 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a problem, while you still have the center cover off, make sure none of the gears are chipped off, we've seen that occur on quite a few of these 10 bolt rears. Bob
Old 01-28-2008, 08:43 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by dajodsterman
I've had a sound coming from the rear end. It's a low kinda bearing noise sound. Had the tires replaced not to long ago and the tire guy asked my wife if she had noticed a sound without my wife even saying anything. then he told her that there was some slack and that is was probably the rear axle bearing. right now I've got the rotors off and I can't feel but maybe a 1/16" of slack in all directions. Is this normal? Also I can hear kinda of a pulse sound on the drivers side when I turn the axle but only bearing or gear noise when turning the passenger axle. Should I hear any noise at all? Also I got the cover off the differential and I can see a little bit of a ridge deep in the teeth of the ring gear. Is this normal wear? Please any help would be great. I've never messed with a rear end before.

Actually it is common for the axle bearings and the axle shafts to wear throught the hard facing of the axle surface. I would not just change one thing at a time though to try and find a problem. Run a pattern on the gear while you have the cover off, is the pinion seal leaking. Exactly what kind of noise? Constant or more of wwhirling noise. Does it change on and off the accelerator? Let me know or give me a call, I would be happy to help you diagnose it correctly and save you some time and money.

Jeff
Old 06-29-2008, 04:31 PM
11 Second Club

i have the same problem. mine is coming from the passenger side. i changed that bearing, and the noise went away quite a bit at first, but not totally and is back again now. my wife says it sounds worse, but she isnt in the car everyday like myself. maybe im just used to it. i did forget to inspect the axle, so i dont know if its bad. mine changes sounds, even slightly gets quieter for a moment when going around a corner. any ideas
Old 06-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Banned

Pitted axle. My drivers side axle was pitted up and the bearing was fine. I replaced the axle and bearing.
Before I did that I took the carrier out and checked all those bearings. Left the pinion alone, it spun free, was not loose and makes no noise.

If you have a bad axle don't try an axle repair bearing, they don't physically fit with a torsen differential, actually if you have a '98 you should have an Auburn and a repair bearing should work.