Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Swap: Can I keep stock drive train?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 Swap: Can I keep stock drive train?

If I do the swap from an ls1 to an ls6, do you think my tranny and rear end are gonna last that? Or am I going to have to replace those in the near future as well? Thanks guys. Appreciate it.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

NO doubt dude....

Your goin to need a new 3120 bolt set for the trans..Due to the thickness of the block and the threads are diffrent than the LS1 block..Also the drivehsaft will need about 4in cut off..the LS6 block is longer and pushes the transmission back more for better weight distribution.

You may want to get a built trans too..I mean that 50extra hp from the ls6 engine will snap off snycro's or clutch packs in a heart beat. IMO you may want to go with a Powerglide if its and auto trans,or maybe a ZF 6speed trans from a 02 Ford Superduty. They have the best gear rations for these cars and can hold 2000ft lbs.

While your at it, look into a 2 1/2 axle for the rear. That ls6 is a monster and will snap half shafts and 3rd members ina a heart beat.

I don't know how true this is,but I've been reading some stuff and supposivley the intake cam from a 2002 Civic w/ V-tech will give you 2 diffrent cam profiles depending on the RPM...so maybe look into that.

Also while your at it upgrade the brakes. Maybe use some 4707 Meritor Shoes and get the long stroke 30/30 brake chambers. Make sure you adjust them out 1/4 of a turn.

Hope I was a BIG help,and If you need anything you can email me @

HairyParatesties@helpmehelpyou.com
Old 01-26-2008, 11:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro52R
NO doubt dude....

Your goin to need a new 3120 bolt set for the trans..Due to the thickness of the block and the threads are diffrent than the LS1 block..Also the drivehsaft will need about 4in cut off..the LS6 block is longer and pushes the transmission back more for better weight distribution.

You may want to get a built trans too..I mean that 50extra hp from the ls6 engine will snap off snycro's or clutch packs in a heart beat. IMO you may want to go with a Powerglide if its and auto trans,or maybe a ZF 6speed trans from a 02 Ford Superduty. They have the best gear rations for these cars and can hold 2000ft lbs.

While your at it, look into a 2 1/2 axle for the rear. That ls6 is a monster and will snap half shafts and 3rd members ina a heart beat.

I don't know how true this is,but I've been reading some stuff and supposivley the intake cam from a 2002 Civic w/ V-tech will give you 2 diffrent cam profiles depending on the RPM...so maybe look into that.

Also while your at it upgrade the brakes. Maybe use some 4707 Meritor Shoes and get the long stroke 30/30 brake chambers. Make sure you adjust them out 1/4 of a turn.

Wow. Glad you are here with us on LS1tech.

To the Original Poster, a stock LS1 can snap your rear with drag radials and a big clutch dump. Trans is a little more durable, but factory clutch is mediocre at best. As long as you don't put sticky tires on you're rear should be fine. I'm still rocking my bone stock 10 bolt rear, factory clutch and trans with the #s in my sig. I will upgrade soon for sure. But for the short term you will be fine.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't listen to a single thing Pro52R said.

Your drive train won't die from 60 or so extra HP if your careful with it. Many people on this board are running alot higher #s than what the LS6 is going to produce...SweeTbone for one.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:26 AM
TECH Veteran

+1 the guy has what 3 posts, and hes asking for help and the first thing he gets is a big post full of sarcam and ****.

your car will be fine with the stock trans. its rated for up to 500/600ft lbs. take it easy on the rear end. upgrade to an LS7 clutch from SDPC for $450 on top of the swap price if the clutch you are gonna use is older, and you should be good to go.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should be fine! an ls1 with a cam will make more #'s then a stock LS6 so dont worry! but i do love that LS6! i guess its the red plastic covers that make me excited
Old 01-27-2008, 03:39 AM
TECH Regular

Although i definitely agree that it was mean to pick on the guy, Pro52R did a damn good job at bullshittin that. I have to admit i laughed.

BTW, if youre into swappin the whole motor, scrap that and just throw a cam and some heads on what you already have. Very much so better.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:01 AM
On The Tree

NO doubt dude....

Im glad you spelled "VTEC" correct as well...unless you're talking about cordless house phones.

"variable valve timing and lift electronic control"
Old 01-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StripedZebra
Although i definitely agree that it was mean to pick on the guy, Pro52R did a damn good job at bullshittin that. I have to admit i laughed.

BTW, if youre into swappin the whole motor, scrap that and just throw a cam and some heads on what you already have. Very much so better.
Good advice. Unless you gernaded your LS1 there is no reason to swap it.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
Don't listen to a single thing Pro52R said.

Your drive train won't die from 60 or so extra HP if your careful with it. Many people on this board are running alot higher #s than what the LS6 is going to produce...SweeTbone for one.
60hp form an ls6 cam and 243 heads?

Pro52R, you forgot the different types of blinker fluid for the ls6.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
+1 the guy has what 3 posts, and hes asking for help and the first thing he gets is a big post full of sarcam and ****.

your car will be fine with the stock trans. its rated for up to 500/600ft lbs. take it easy on the rear end. upgrade to an LS7 clutch from SDPC for $450 on top of the swap price if the clutch you are gonna use is older, and you should be good to go.

he's also been a member for 2yrs......Just saying.

BTW..yes I was being smart,I was being the funnny guy...

And yes I will bs because I use the search button religiously,unless I rewally have a off the wall question,but I rather search for 10min then make a post and wait 10 days for a reply.

BTW..the V-tech VTEC thing..yah I get them confused...what can I say..i am a domestic guy...The only Variable V thing I know is VVT turbo's...
Old 01-29-2008, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

BTW..the V-tech VTEC thing..yah I get them confused...what can I say..i am a domestic guy...The only Variable V thing I know is VVT turbo's...
lol! I think its variable geometry, but yes, they are preety damn cool!
Old 02-21-2008, 07:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by davered00ss
60hp form an ls6 cam and 243 heads?

Pro52R, you forgot the different types of blinker fluid for the ls6.
Bone stock...405-315=90. Subtract 15 for additional parasitic loss, you have 75. Take away another 15 for restrictive stock exhaust manifold and intake differences...60 seems about right.
Good luck on the swap