Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y-Pipe

Old 01-26-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Y-Pipe

Ive got a set of pacesetter headers and I am set on the Hooker catback. Which y-Pipe would be a good choice to connect the two together? Ground clearance is not much of an issue for me around here. Im looking for a great fitting y-pipe. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

ttt......
Old 01-27-2008, 04:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

i would just look at getting the pacesetter y-pipe since you already got there headers. Im looking at the same LT setup but with my LM1
Old 01-27-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea just get the pacesetter ory pipe if you won't have any problems with emission checks
Old 01-27-2008, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it flows really well and looks sweet if you drop To make big power with a street motor, you need an exhaust that sucks...literally (David Vizard quote). When running a cam with lots of overlap, backpressure is not your friend. But when building a daily driven street car, too free flowing of an exhaust often means too loud. Not in my case.

You want the best headers you can find. For an LS1 F-body, it would be QTPs or Kooks in 1 3/4" size. For a Vette, the LG Pro Long tubes reign supreme. A high velocity merge collector on the header collector is typically worth some nice gains in the mid-range and is known to squeak out a few extra ponies up high as well.

Merging the twin pipes coming off the headers is a critical item for power and sound quality. Vettes have it easy because an x-pipe easily fits and the sound quality is awesome. F-bodies are handicapped because of space constraints. For 500 rwhp, you want to run dual 3" pipes after the headers and you'll want them to merge into a 4" intermediate pipe. Anything smaller will run the risk of flow loss. Most y-pipes on the market slam the 2 pipes together like this:

When the pipes meet at close to a 90 angle, the flow is going to be lower and the sound is going to rasp and drone at 2000-2300 rpm. By using a Flowmaster merge collector or better, your sound quality will improve since the gasses meet side by side as opposed to ramming into each other. Here are a few pics of my exhaust.

Notice the dual 3" pipes merging into a 4" intermediate pipe, then a 4" cutout. After the cutout, the pipe is reduced to a 3" SLP dual dual catback. Compared to open headers with 20" extensions, my motor lost 1 hp with this y-pipe, but gained 10 rwtq in the 2500-4000 rpm range. https://ls1tech.com/forums/newreply....eply&p=7248595
Old 01-28-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Very nice Y-Pipe you got there.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of merge is that? How much did that cost if you dont mind me asking. I am looking to do the EXACT same thing that you just did, only with a pacesetter Y and a hooker catback.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Y-Pipe