Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Just got my gto back from Strictly Performance...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just got my gto back from Strictly Performance...

Im not much of an active poster here, I mainly read and try to absorb as much information as possible. Recently, the tranny would not go into first gear without forcing it, and when it did it made grinding noises badly.

I decided to take it to Rob at strictly after reading much about the shop in GMHTP and on this board. Overall, Im happy to have the car back after almost 3 weeks. I got a Twin disc RPS clutch/flywheel/pressure plate put in, new slave cylinder and acuator, and the tranny was sent out to have new synchros and bearings put in. Total bill came out to 3600 and some change.

The tranny feels great, clutch grabs nicely, noticeably different from stock, but not difficult on the street. Still needs to be broken in.

As far as the shop goes and the overall experience, Shawn bent over backwards to get everything wrapped, and I truly appreciate that.

However, there were some things I did not like. I was never given a written estimate of the repairs (which per the BAR is illegal in California). For updates on how the repairs were going, I had to call every time except for once at the end.

I completely understand parts delays/issue (i work as insurance adjuster and deal with body shops all the time), but as long as Im kept in the loop, Im happy.

The white dust boot is missing on the tranny so it sounds like water/debris is splashing against the leather shift boot. I found trash on my back seat and my car was quite filthy.

Im not a picky *******, Im just a regular guy who likes things done professionally and on time. It was quite the shock to see the final bill at the end, as I was given no real warning as to the final cost despite the many phone calls I completed.

As far as going back to Strictly again, I dont really know if I will. I cant afford a heads/cam package for a long time now, nor was I really happy with the billing/customer service side of the work.

Again, Shawn I really appreciate what you did, you are a cool guy and I know some of this was out of your control. I would have just like to have seen a bit more follow-up during the process.

I have no affiliation with any club nor any shop, this is just a informative review of my experience with one of Ls1tech's vendors.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the info.... was thinking bout taking my car to them but now im not too sure
Old 01-27-2008, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

ur honest opinion is greatly appreciated
Old 01-27-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

so it was $3,600 for a tranny rebuild?
Old 01-27-2008, 06:17 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by HellaciousA
Im not much of an active poster here, I mainly read and try to absorb as much information as possible. Recently, the tranny would not go into first gear without forcing it, and when it did it made grinding noises badly.

I decided to take it to Rob at strictly after reading much about the shop in GMHTP and on this board. Overall, Im happy to have the car back after almost 3 weeks. I got a Twin disc RPS clutch/flywheel/pressure plate put in, new slave cylinder and acuator, and the tranny was sent out to have new synchros and bearings put in. Total bill came out to 3600 and some change.

The tranny feels great, clutch grabs nicely, noticeably different from stock, but not difficult on the street. Still needs to be broken in.

As far as the shop goes and the overall experience, Shawn bent over backwards to get everything wrapped, and I truly appreciate that.

However, there were some things I did not like. I was never given a written estimate of the repairs (which per the BAR is illegal in California). For updates on how the repairs were going, I had to call every time except for once at the end.

I completely understand parts delays/issue (i work as insurance adjuster and deal with body shops all the time), but as long as Im kept in the loop, Im happy.

The white dust boot is missing on the tranny so it sounds like water/debris is splashing against the leather shift boot. I found trash on my back seat and my car was quite filthy.

Im not a picky *******, Im just a regular guy who likes things done professionally and on time. It was quite the shock to see the final bill at the end, as I was given no real warning as to the final cost despite the many phone calls I completed.

As far as going back to Strictly again, I dont really know if I will. I cant afford a heads/cam package for a long time now, nor was I really happy with the billing/customer service side of the work.

Again, Shawn I really appreciate what you did, you are a cool guy and I know some of this was out of your control. I would have just like to have seen a bit more follow-up during the process.

I have no affiliation with any club nor any shop, this is just a informative review of my experience with one of Ls1tech's vendors.
we appolagize for the wait you of coarse know the issue with trc transmissions every step along the way they cameup with another excuse on it needing another speacial order part.once again not your problem i understand but out of my controll if anybody on here has ever delt with a trans shop they will know hat i am talking about you can not just pick it up and go somewhere else if your not happy it will cost even more .the dust boot needs to be replaced and of coarse we will put it in asap on your earliest convenience .i am sorry i could not give you an exact figurewhen you needed it but you did say to go ahead with sending it out and i could not get a straight answer from trc in chatsworth on the exact figure.once again we apologize for any inconvenince...ROB
Old 01-27-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya thanks for the honesty

Last edited by ReFtheMC; 01-29-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good post. Good to see a shop willing to step up and admit problems as well (usually becomes a pissing war on these boards).

I've had great experiences with Rob and the guys at Strictly. My exhaust (yup, plural ) have been through them (went to their guy) and just recently had my stall put in. One day job, GREAT price ($300), and did some little stuff for free...

We all make mistakes so it is nice to know how they deal with mistakes, since that is the true test of a shop !

Keep us updated...
Old 01-27-2008, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

I appreciate the apology. I just checked under the console, the dust boot(s) are all missing, so I hope rob can ship them to me asap.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:35 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by HellaciousA
I appreciate the apology. I just checked under the console, the dust boot(s) are all missing, so I hope rob can ship them to me asap.
no problem ..we will send it out mon or we can deliver it..
Old 01-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Old 01-27-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

dirty u need to quit
Old 01-27-2008, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

I have also dealt w/ Rob @ Strictly and I didnt run into any problems. I had them tune my car (over 410hp cam only) and when I had a tunning issue I took it back to him and he took care of it for me free of charge and threw in some extra stuff also, and whenever I called him for status he was courteous

I dont mean to defend anybody here, or am I on anybodys side. Just my honest opinion also w/ a LS1 Tech vendor.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Banned

yea so that black GTO in there was yours i see! nice ride i was checkin it out!! strictly performance rocks!! real cool guys workin there, Rob,Shant and Milkey you guys are awesome!! i will be there soon to get my stuff done, as soon as this rain stops falling!! thanks again for that little tune Rob!
Old 01-27-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Regular

i seen the black gto there also nice car
Old 01-28-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah rob is a realll kool guy he the z28 i got from him runs reall good and hauls ***. cant wait to test her out on the track!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
yeah rob is a realll kool guy he the z28 i got from him runs reall good and hauls ***. cant wait to test her out on the track!
what color was your car???? was it a black one??
Old 01-28-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah its the black one with the cowl hood.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:26 AM
Banned

o holy ****!!! isent that one the turbo one????
Old 01-28-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

naaaa its a differant one. mines n/a but it flies!!!! lol but it will have a turbo or 2 soon.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:36 AM
Banned

dammm sick car dude! if its build there then lol i bet its fast!! i want a dammm cam, one day after somebody beats me in a race or something i guess then i will dump all i have into my motor!! but im kinda leaning towards having better handling right now! i had to many things almost happen to me because of speed

Quick Reply: Just got my gto back from Strictly Performance...