Photographers......

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Photographers......

I like some of the artistic pictures some guys take of their cars. I have a good camera, Canon Digital SLR (rebel) but all my pictures come out looking plain (see below).These pics were taken in the evening so it has lighting issues. However, all my pictures look boring like this.Any hints, tips ideas etc would be appreciated. I figured I could research on the net, but I am too lazy. Thanks...

and

Old 01-27-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, shoot in RAW format. Ditch jpeg and don't look back.

And at night or dark area, use a tripod for prolonged exposure. Ditch the flash and don't look back (unless we're talking about fill flashes etc. but that's a different ballpark).
Old 01-27-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

im sure CRAGER will chime in and give you a few pointers. he can shoot some wicked looking shots. however shoot me a link to the model of camera you have.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

He shoots with a Rebel XTi with the kit 18-55mm lens I think. I got the XT and one of my lenses is the 18-55. If you want help, shoot me a PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Choose better back grounds. Who wants to see poles and houses behind the car?

Shoot from different angles. Don't be afraid to lay down and take a shot, twist the camera, or climp up and shoot down.

My goal is to use the existing light to my advantage. I always preferred nature photograpy so I shy away from using a flash. If I do, I'm just snapping a shot. I prefer early mornings and the light right @ sundown.

You don't have to have great equipment to take good shots. Here are some thumbnails of a few I took with a cheap Fuji point and click 3.2 meg camera. Some things to note. This was taken on the top floor of a parking garage so you don't have to go find an exotic place. Also note the shadow of the pole. If I had been paying attention I would have moved where it wasn't across my car. I also would have moved my front wheel to face me in some of the shots, but I was being lazy.

Now compare to a shot with a trashy background.

Same techniques, but IMO the last is lame because of the background.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

on camera flash is BAD!!!! The best thing to do is to learn how to light the subject your shooting... There are lots of lighting books checks Branes & Noble out. If you are going to shoot dramatic natural lighting Do as said before right after the Sunrise and right before dusk... You really only have about thrity minutes to capture the image before you lose the dramatic light
Old 01-28-2008, 12:13 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

There is a thread in the Multimedia section with "how-to's" with pics and settings. Try a search .

Quick tip:

Manual mode only, take it off that green (idiot setting its called) spot on the dial and learn to use each feature. Read your owners manual, if you don't have it go to Canon.com and d/l it. Then go out and take a crap load of pics, with practice you'll get the hang of it, but watch out....its like cars + mods $$$$!!!!!!

Peace,
Craig.

*Edit: Here is one of those threads:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedia-exchange/767470-9-digital-camera-settings-every-photographer-discover.html
Old 01-28-2008, 12:27 AM
12 Second Club

dude i need to send you those center caps asap
Old 01-28-2008, 06:23 AM
TECH Resident

www.texasphotoforum.com
Old 01-28-2008, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CRAGER
but watch out....its like cars + mods $$$$!!!!!!
Very true
Old 01-29-2008, 10:00 PM

Here is another thread for you to read up on:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/702260-article-good-pictures-technique-equipment-etc.html

Peace,
Craig.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:33 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LS_Juan
I figured I could research on the net, but I am too lazy.
I'm too lazy to offer you some advice then.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:34 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I'm too lazy to offer you some advice then.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 01-29-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wait so Craig, you got both a Nikon and a Canon? That's like owning a F-body and a Mustang. Choose one!

I'm sure Craig and Tony will tell you that anyone serious about photography will soon find out it's a ridiculously expensive hobby. I keep trying to save up $600 for this one particular lens, but I think I may end up spending it on exhaust components and a LS6 intake.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:49 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

You don't really need a big dollar camera to take nice photos, but the good hardware helps to make them more customizable and give you unique perspectives (wide angle etc..)

Really, for the internet, a 4 megapixel camera or higher is just fine. You just need to spend some time (not being lazy) and locate good backgrounds and shoot the pics at the best time of the day (sunrise or sunset). Use a tripod, try not to use a flash.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=LS_Juan;8580994]

That's a great looking car 'cept the dangling ft plate .. I can't talk **** tho, I have a big *** chunk missing on my ft bumper
Old 01-30-2008, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Its all about how you take the pictures, format and your background. Try taking them against a background with some color in it and try not to take a picture in to the sunset like that(well straight into it) angles always look good
Old 01-30-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS_Juan
I like some of the artistic pictures some guys take of their cars. I have a good camera, Canon Digital SLR (rebel) but all my pictures come out looking plain (see below).These pics were taken in the evening so it has lighting issues. However, all my pictures look boring like this.Any hints, tips ideas etc would be appreciated. I figured I could research on the net, but I am too lazy. Thanks...

did you put that 5" tach on???
Old 01-30-2008, 01:52 PM
10-Second Club

Originally Posted by s.o.m.SS

That's a great forum. I need to get back into learning about my camera, I just have an entry level DSLR, Nikon D50.

Also, a lot of the really good pics you see look great because of post processing, they don't just all come off the camera looking like they should go in national geographic.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Modsquad
Also, a lot of the really good pics you see look great because of post processing, they don't just all come off the camera looking like they should go in national geographic.
Makes you wonder how they ever got great photographs before the digital age. Well, not really, it was skill and a good eye. Ya there are tricks used in processing and you could always crop, but a bad shot would still look bad.

I still use my 35mm SLRs when I want really good shots and will until the DSLR prices come down.