Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

TH 350 Leak near Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TH 350 Leak near Torque Converter

Well my tranny was leaking pretty bad, an I jacked it all up, and took a look. I took off my flywheel cover / starter sheild cuz it was drippin, and saw just trannie fluid ooozin all over the place coming from up near my torque converter. Did i blow my trannie or is it just a seal. Looking at the manual it looks like it could do with my tranny oil pump. Should i drop it down and take it apart, or just throw a new one in? or could it be my torque converter is shot?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

well it could be 3 things, one being ur torque converter went bad, two being your oil pump gasget on the front of the tranny or three being the front seal for the converter...i would just replace the two seals and hope the converter is still good
Old 01-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Teching In

okay thanks, so i gotta pull the transmission out to pull the converter correct? i know my manual tells me how but im too lazy to look at it right now as im at work. But here's what im guessing: pull the driveshaft, pull the motor mount bolts from tranny to engine, pull the cross member, lower tranny to work on it, take off flywheel, torque converter. voila
Old 01-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Launching!

When my 400 was leaking from the same spot I had to replace the pump to case gasket and the pump seal to fix it, I did them one at a time too.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

exactly, i did this in one day and you should be able to also but mine started leaking again and i had to drop it again just to replace the converter..lol so watch out

Last edited by bigdcustoms; 01-29-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:26 PM

If you think the front seal is leaking here is some sound advice,I build transmissions so here goes.First you want to pull the pan to drain the fluid before you start,Especially if you are on the ground.When you pull the pan check it for fine metal,Possible converter failure.You can buy a stock 350 turbo converter for about $30 from most trans parts supply places.But if this is your problem you will want to pull the pump and check the bushing in the pump to see if it is wasted.Could just be a tired seal but a new reman pump is about $40 if the gears are chewed up.Could be more to it than just a seal,You would hate to put one in and have it leak again next week because fine metal in the fluid is eating the seal up.Also make sure the alignment dowels are in the block or you could be eating bushings or more do to mis alignment of the engine and transmission.

Quick Reply: TH 350 Leak near Torque Converter