Is my ds too short??

Old 01-28-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is my ds too short??

Here are 2 pics.. How dangerously short is it? Is this going to cause me to break my tail housing (again)? I replaced my steel stocker with an aluminum that came off a '00 M6 SS.. Are the M6 DS's shorter?

and

Old 01-28-2008, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is the way my ds looked when I did my TH350 swap and alot of people said it would be fine to run it like that but just to have a piece of mind I had a custom one made. so it boils down to would you rather pay for the right ds now or pay for a tailshaft and possible tranny
Old 01-28-2008, 06:19 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't like the looks of that. Some people have vibration issues with a DS that's that short. It will seem subtle but end up costly

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 01-28-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tin.Can.Z
that is the way my ds looked when I did my TH350 swap and alot of people said it would be fine to run it like that but just to have a piece of mind I had a custom one made. so it boils down to would you rather pay for the right ds now or pay for a tailshaft and possible tranny
I first wanted to make sure it's unsafe before I replace it. IF it's not going to hurt anything sticking out that far, cool. But if it's going to cause me probs I'm gonna yank it out and sell it. So are M6 ds's shorter??
Old 01-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is that short too but I don't feel any vibrations. I also replaced my original one (steel), vibrated alot in high speed, with aluminum stock DS.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bene
Mine is that short too but I don't feel any vibrations. I also replaced my original one (steel), vibrated alot in high speed, with aluminum stock DS.
That's good news I guess. I don't feel ANY vibrations either and it drives fine so I dunno what to do at this point.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

I wouldn't be worried about vibrations. If you don't have a DS safety loop I would worry about it ending up in the car. It's borderline, but I don't think I would drive it hard like that.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1x2
I wouldn't be worried about vibrations. If you don't have a DS safety loop I would worry about it ending up in the car. It's borderline, but I don't think I would drive it hard like that.
now that's something i didn't even consider.. man oh man this is shitty
Old 01-28-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

how much would you want for it if you sell it?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by 6THZ28
That's good news I guess. I don't feel ANY vibrations either and it drives fine so I dunno what to do at this point.
The real main concern is to replace or relocate your torque arm mount with what UMI sells or BMR brand. You can choose between with or without DS loop.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 5w20
how much would you want for it if you sell it?
I think I paid $100 but I'll sell it for only as much as it's gonna cost for a replacement.. Bought it off of "silver 00 ss" on here. he's a good guy and the shaft is in very good shape
Old 01-28-2008, 06:52 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1x2
Then you would be worried about vibrations. They are the first step to losing the DS and breaking other expensive parts

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 01-28-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
Then you would be worried about vibrations. They are the first step to losing the DS and breaking other expensive parts
jes. that's what happened to me in the first place which led me to get this alum replacement. my steel stocker was vibrating out of control at high speeds and next thing you know, poof, atf fluid was everywhere and i broke the tail housing..
Old 01-28-2008, 06:56 PM
FormerVendor

The proper way to measure a driveshaft for proper fitment is to raise the vehicle, load the rear axle... set the axle on jack stands... remove the rear driveshaft straps, slide the driveshaft forward until it stops and then measure the distance from the center of the u-joint cap to the flange where the u-joint cap mounts.

The measurement should not exceed 7/8".

The number one reason to concern yourself with a driveshaft that is too short is safety. From there, it is damage to other components.. if a driveshaft is too short then it is very likely to damage the tailhousing bushing... if not the tailhousing itself.

g
Old 01-28-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
The proper way to measure a driveshaft for proper fitment is to raise the vehicle, load the rear axle... set the axle on jack stands... remove the rear driveshaft straps, slide the driveshaft forward until it stops and then measure the distance from the center of the u-joint cap to the flange where the u-joint cap mounts.

The measurement should not exceed 7/8".

The number one reason to concern yourself with a driveshaft that is too short is safety. From there, it is damage to other components.. if a driveshaft is too short then it is very likely to damage the tailhousing bushing... if not the tailhousing itself.

g
Safety like the ds coming through the floor board?? I will measure it but judging by the pictures alone, does it look too short to you? Thanks for the input
Old 01-28-2008, 07:04 PM
FormerVendor

Safety as in the driveshaft getting loose and doing really bad thing at high speeds. If it does come loose the worse thing that can happen is it will catch a crack in the road and the potential for flipping the car is high. Or, it can destroy the undercarriage.

This should be taken seriously.

Well.... in that picture is the car jacked up and the rear axle hanging or not?

If so, then there is no way to tell if it is the correct length.

If the weight of the car is on the rear axle then yes, in my opinion it is too short. But... I'm looking at a photo.

Get the measurement and get back to us.

g
Old 01-28-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Safety as in the driveshaft getting loose and doing really bad thing at high speeds. If it does come loose the worse thing that can happen is it will catch a crack in the road and the potential for flipping the car is high. Or, it can destroy the undercarriage.

This should be taken seriously.

Well.... in that picture is the car jacked up and the rear axle hanging or not?

If so, then there is no way to tell if it is the correct length.

If the weight of the car is on the rear axle then yes, in my opinion it is too short. But... I'm looking at a photo.

Get the measurement and get back to us.

g
the rear tires are on the ground in the pic, i just raised the car ft right just enough to squeeze under the car and snap the pic.. so it looks too short?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 6THZ28
the rear tires are on the ground in the pic, i just raised the car ft right just enough to squeeze under the car and snap the pic.. so it looks too short?
the car has to be like its rolling down the road...like a lift that you drive onto and lift it on all four wheels (like when doing alignments). Weight has to be on all four wheels
Old 01-29-2008, 07:39 AM
12 Second Club

I would say if you can. get the camera under the car without lifting anything..
then snap off some pics...
you should be able to get a pic of it without lifting car, unless your car is dropped to the ground... I was able to get mine without lifting car.. the pics that is...

Looks like I got everyone checking their DS's.. LOL.... dont want to end up with 2 broken tail housings in 2 weeks I guess.. LOL....

dam fast speeds making us buy more crap..
Old 01-29-2008, 07:46 AM
TECH Junkie

What shop let you drive out like that?

B

Search this Thread