Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What rear I searched

Old 01-28-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What rear I searched

My buddy possibly looking into getting a rear end like a 9'' strange s60 or 12 bolt. His car is mainly a street car but im sure he will race it once in awhile we were looking at rears but some of them seem to require alittle mods to fit obviously a few mods dont really bother us but he is wondering which one is the easiest to fit. I heard the torque arm mount kind of sucks on the moser rear's and the bolts come loose alot. I will also be looking for a rear end in the near future. So basically what would be the best option as far as certain mods are concerned. From what ive read is the strange s60 the driveshaft will need to be shortened alittle bit. I have the umi tunnel mounted torque arm that is currently on my stock rear end and im wondering if it will fit just about any rear I have heard it will. Im just trying to get some ideas I did search but couldnt really find what I was looking for. His 10 bolt is like blown and he is looking for the best/easiest option but he wants it to hold up obivously. Im thinking the 9'' would be a good choice but not sure what mods need to be done.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Moser 9" with the 3.92s. No problems with the torque arm or loosening bolts. Put over 10,000 miles on it and it still quiet. I called EPP in IN and they setup the order for the rear end and all. Bolted in fine. my .02cents
Old 01-28-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the reply did you have to do anything with ur driveshaft I know you might need a crossover u joint.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

What are the goals on both cars. This will help you pick a direction. A 9" is a good choice and we have fabricated housings that are very stout. They are also a direct bolt in. We can also get any of the Moser products as well.

I am willing to work with you to pick a solution that best meets your needs and future plans. Let me know if I can help.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:11 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Yun Gunz
I have a Moser 9" with the 3.92s. No problems with the torque arm or loosening bolts. Put over 10,000 miles on it and it still quiet. I called EPP in IN and they setup the order for the rear end and all. Bolted in fine. my .02cents
Thanks, the Moser 9 inch uses two long bolts to bolt the torque arm, just like the oem 10 bolt does. These two bolts do not loosen up, it is the Moser 12 bolt that has problems with their four short bolts loosening up. I highly recommend going with the Moser 9 inch, here is a link to my prices with free shipping! Bob
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145
Old 01-29-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the replies im guessing the moser 9'' would be the right choice for both of us. So the only mods would be driveshaft conversion u joint? Would my umi tunnel mounted adjustable torque arm still fit? My plans for my car would probably be a realiable 10 second maybe eventually seeing 9's one day street car. And his plans are as of now of more street driving and some weekends at the track.

Last edited by RamAir02TA77; 01-29-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Sounds like a good choice. Let me know if we can help. The TA will still work and a conversion U Joint will be needed if you keep the stock shaft. YOu may want to look into an upgraded shaft if the funds allow. The stock one is the next weak link. A CM shaft will run between 300.00 and 400.00 depending on what you get.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

Yea I guess ill see how things go my buddy will probably upgrade his driveshaft being he is m6 but ill probably try my luck with the stock one but thanks for the replies.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:05 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RamAir02TA77
Thanks for the replies im guessing the moser 9'' would be the right choice for both of us. So the only mods would be driveshaft conversion u joint? Would my umi tunnel mounted adjustable torque arm still fit? My plans for my car would probably be a realiable 10 second maybe eventually seeing 9's one day street car. And his plans are as of now of more street driving and some weekends at the track.

Yes, the Moser 9 inch works out very well. You can get by with the factory driveshaft if you're not pushing a lot of power, but I have seen them pretzel.
The Napa pn#240-0447X is the conversion U Joint to use with the factory driveshaft to a Moser 1350 yoke.
We sell the PST 3.5" aluminum driveshafts, which are rated at 1000 hp and have a lifetime guarantee. These driveshafts come with both u Joints and will bolt right in. Here is a link to them.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=541 Bob
Old 01-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Teching In

If I could do it over again I would go moser 9 inch. Unfortunately I have a strange 60 with their chrome moly driveshaft and all I've had is lots of vibration since mile #1. Strange won't even talk to me, they say " give me you're number and I'll call you back". It's been 3 months.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:24 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by 00camaro ss
If I could do it over again I would go moser 9 inch. Unfortunately I have a strange 60 with their chrome moly driveshaft and all I've had is lots of vibration since mile #1. Strange won't even talk to me, they say " give me you're number and I'll call you back". It's been 3 months.
With as many rears that are sold by Moser and Strange, eventually someone is going to have problems. I'm sending out new gears to a customer who purchased a Moser rear from me, as his is pretty loud. I'm not charging him anything for the gears, just trying to help him out. Bob

Search this Thread