Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 balancer broken. Is my engine FU#@*%???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:43 PM
V8U
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 balancer broken. Is my engine FU#@*%???

Hello everyone. Brand new to this forum so forgive me if this is the wrong section. My bro has a CTS-V and it's been hit in the front...HARD and the balancer completely snapped off from the hit. A few other components(alternator) are broken also. My question... is there a chance that any of the internal components may have been damaged? I'm mostly concerned about the crankshaft since the balancer was broken. The cover for the front of the engine has a little crack in it also(right behind the balancer). I"ll try to post some pics. Thank You very much
Old 01-29-2008, 09:15 AM
12 Second Club

You are correct. There is a very good chance your bros crank is fucked.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:59 PM
V8U
Teching In

Thanks ShortChevy. You think I'll be fine by changing the crank? Or should the piston and rods be changed also?
Old 01-29-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well first find out if the crank is broken, dont just replace right away. Take it out and have it checked at a machine shop
Old 01-30-2008, 12:07 PM
V8U
Teching In

Default LS6 broken balancer **PICS**

You guys think it's serious?: confused:
Attached Thumbnails LS6 balancer broken. Is my engine FU#@*%???-balancer-broken.jpg   LS6 balancer broken. Is my engine FU#@*%???-cover-crack-2-red-.jpg   LS6 balancer broken. Is my engine FU#@*%???-cover-crack-red-.jpg   LS6 balancer broken. Is my engine FU#@*%???-oil-pan-crack-red-.jpg  
Old 01-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks not good.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

from what ive seen a good hard hit like that usually wipes out the thrust bearing , a friends 6.0 truck motor didnt have a broken balancer that he knows of and it ate the bearing up pretty quick

also the oil pump tends to get damaged , since its right behind the cover , most places on ebay , tend to show the motors running and give oil pressure readings for those reasons

but as bad as that looks , id put a short block in it and not mess with that motor
Old 01-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Banned

I would pull the crank, have it checked, replace the thrust bearing and oil pump, timing set and cover just for peace of mind. YMMV
Old 01-30-2008, 06:43 PM
V8U
Teching In

Thanks guys, appreciate it very much. I've never done a rebuild so maybe this will be my first. I guess I'll take the oil pan out and check the crank. We'll see how it goes from there. Again, thanks for your input. A lot more questions to come.