Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Another stupid trans Q

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another stupid trans Q

2000 SS 6spd

I Absolutely Cannot Go Into 4th Gear, I Haven't Put Over 1k On My Car Since Owning It (over 6months) Because It Really Pisses Me Off!!!

Been Doing This Since The Day I Got It.

Shifting Normal Or Fast Does Not Matter, It Feels Like It Sinks Into 4th Normal, Let The Clutch Out And Grrrind, Try Again, Go To Neutral And Pull Into 4th A Bit Harder And Let Cluch Out Verrrrry Slowly Same Thing....grind?

Back To Neautral And Slam kinda hard Into 4th (only tried once or twice and decided it was a bit scary to think about the guts coming out the bottom) So Obvioulsy I Just Forget I Even Have A 4th Gear..

Once I Went Into 4th (somehow) Started Down A Slightly Steep Hill Tried To Pull Out Of 4th To Down Shift After Starting Back Up The Otherside And It Would Not Come Out Of 4th For The Life Of Me... I Tried And Pried For A While And Then It Felt Like It Popped Out But Was Stuck..... I Could Not Move To Another Gear But Could Not Get Back Into 4th Either It Would Just Grind. Shut The Car Down Tried And Pried Again For Nearly Ten Minutes And Finally It Just Fell Out...... (only had the car for about a week then)I Haven't Touched 4th Since That Day.

I Really Just Want To See If Anyone Had Any Opinions On What It May Be, I Have Been Told Shift Fork, Syncro, Bad Gear......................

-------At This Point I Don't Care To Awful Much At What The problem Is Because I'm Gonna Sell The Damn Thing However I Would Like To Be Able To Let The Buyer Know What They Are Going To Be Getting Into.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:39 AM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The trans needs to come apart. You can speculate all those thing being bad, but you wont know till it's tore down & inspected.
You might as well look at it as getting the trans rebuilt.