Looking for Summer Internship 08(Engineering or related)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Summer Internship 08(Engineering or related)

Hi, as the title says, I am looking for an internship for the summer of this year. I am currently a junior majoring in Applied Mathematics with a minor in engineering at Baylor University in Waco. I am searching for an internship in either civil engineering or petroleum. However I am open to any other type. As stated I live in Waco but can relocate to whichever city the job is located. I can send my resume to anyone who is interested.

I understand this is very unofficial, and would be more than willing to create a cover letter to send with my resume.

Thank you for your time,

David Wren

Last edited by 97LT1T/A; 01-29-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

You might PM Nineball, the company he works for seems to be on the lookout for new candidates. I'll check at work tomorrow and see if I may be able to feel out what we will have going on this summer.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Teching In

I have pm'd Tony and he said all of the entry level positions were full for the summer, or he was not interested in me. No harm no foul though.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Bump for the people who have the job I want!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:00 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Lyondell-Basell. I am a co-op with them, been there since Fall '06. They are AWESOME. They are 10x more interested in developing you as an engineer rather than getting some work output, although they will give you all the projects you would want to work on.

The pay is excellent, but the experience is priceless.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:06 AM
10 Second Club

Go to the Jacobs Engineering website I know we have some intern stuff going on.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Great, thank you everyone for their input. I will definetly apply to both Jacobsand and Lyondell. Is there a spot for a reference and if so would I put you'll? I have not applied to any internships so I am unfamiliar as to how the real work world works to be blunt.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:38 PM
10-Second Club

Check with Baker Oil Tools, use the online job thingamajigger, lol. I used it & the next morning at 7am they called to setup an interview.....

We've had a few interns thru here. If you hit a dead end with the online thing, let me know I'll forward your info to our human resources folks.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Ok I have applied to Baker Oil Tools, and Jacobs engineering. I submitted my resume to both of them and even applied to a student internship position at Baker. Basell's online thing seems to be down and won't let me submit my resume and application or upload my resume.

TheBlurLS1, if you are interested I would be more than happy to forward you my resume and cover letter to pass on to your HR department.

Any others out there? I am extremely dedicated to my job. I'm 20 and I've been with the same company for 4 years, so I hope that demonstrates my loyalty.

Thank you everyone for your time,

David
Old 01-31-2008, 11:45 AM
10-Second Club

Also try:
Aker Kvaerner

Got a friend that works at Aker. Maybe Weatherford as well. Stay away from Dril-Quip, that place is an arm pit.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

L3 Communications Integrated Systems in Waco. I don't know if a minor in engineering will work, but you can try. Need to have a clean record, as DoD work happens there.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Just applied to Weatherford, thank you Modsquad. Let me know of any others too, or if there is an opening with you at Baker. I would be more than happy to forward you my resume and cover letter.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:20 PM
10-Second Club

I'm out of the loop on stuff like that, I keep to my group & it's pretty small. We have several locations across Houston, so the best way to do it is via the web page, as I said, that's the best way, I got my call the next day for an interview...I didn't drop any names or know anyone, I just went to the website filled out the form & here I am over 2 years later

Anyhow, you may want to try some of our sister companies, not sure if you went to Oil Tools website or the Baker Hughes main site. See these pages if you haven't already:
http://www.bakerhughes.com/careers/index.htm
http://www.bakerhughes.com/careers/u...recruiting.htm
Old 01-31-2008, 12:22 PM
10-Second Club

Oh, BTW, you can tell them I referred you, we can split the dough if that applies to interns. Probably doesn't but you never know If anything comes of the application just PM me I'll give you my info & location.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:52 PM
Teching In

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to everyone who has helped me out with this. I am very grateful for everything regardless whether or not I get a job.

Modsquad-I have applied at the home page and crossing my fingers about a phone call in the morning!
Old 01-31-2008, 02:58 PM
10-Second Club

LOL, good luck bud. Baker probably isn't one of the best paying places, but they are really big into learning & education. So far, this has been my favorite place to work because it's not as 'corporate' & political as some of the places I've worked. It doesn't hurt that the engineer I work for is a working boss, meaning he came up from a drafter and actually works on the projects with us when he can unlike some places that use supervisors that don't have a damn clue. If you can get into a position where you go out & work in the field or on rigs, you will learn so much more, so much faster & probably end up making the big bucks way earlier in your career, so keep that in mind once graduation rolls around & you are looking for a job.

Also, if you are looking for a way to subsidize your college tuition, you could get on as a drafter & let them do tuition reimbursement. We have a drafter in our group that comes in around his school schedule & goes to UofH.....just a thought.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:06 PM
Teching In

I will definitly consider that. My dream job would be to be a supervisor on a rig. Working in an office seems mundane to be blunt, but I have to start somewhere.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:32 PM
10-Second Club

Yeah, but once you get older, traveling all the time can get old too. Depends on if you like constant change or like a predictable routine so you can plan after work activities around. Hard to go cruise, go to the track or do other stuff if you are stuck offshore on a rig with a bunch of sweaty smelly rough necks. Although some shift work stuff is nice, 2 weeks on 2 weeks off kinda stuff....while you are young, that's the way to do it...then start a side business on your weeks off & make even more bank.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Well no phone call, But I got to remain positive. I don't mind traveling now because I'm young and single but I can see how that can get old especially when you have a family. Thanks Modsquad for the help.

The search goes on!!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Teching In

TTT fellas, I appreciate everyones help.