Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 swap into a 3rdgen fbody

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default LS1 swap into a 3rdgen fbody

I thik it won't be too bad. My plan is a Ls1/or 6.0 motor into my '87 carbed 3rdgen formula for a drag car. I'd like to still use a carb, and I have found the assorted intake parts for that. Other than motor mounts(I plan on using an aftermarket k-member) and headers who here has done the swap and what do I need to look out for? TIA My plan is either a h/c LS1 or a L92/carbed L76 6.0 with a healthy shot of gas on top.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at member Ghettocruiser. He did a swap into a 3rd gen firebird. His turned out very nice.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

fbodymotorsports.com has a swap kit for sale. they did a 91 z28 vert. with a ls1 h/c package and update the breaks and tore down the car and restored it and was selling for over $20K not sure if it sold and for what or if they still got it.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FU_I_AM_UltraZ
fbodymotorsports.com has a swap kit for sale. they did a 91 z28 vert. with a ls1 h/c package and update the breaks and tore down the car and restored it and was selling for over $20K not sure if it sold and for what or if they still got it.
Oh crap - whatever you do, DO NOT send a nickel to fbodymotorsports (or "youngs fbody", or whatever the hell they're known as now), until you spend some time searching through the "Aftermarket Vendor Review" forum on TGO. Lots of history on this, lots of seriously upset people...

EDIT: I found one link to get you started, but there are plenty of others...

You can thank me later.

Last edited by V8Rumble; 01-29-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Look at member Ghettocruiser. He did a swap into a 3rd gen firebird. His turned out very nice.
Thanks for the compliment!

CGCBandit: The swap is not a big deal at all. You can almost purchase everything you need to make this 100% bolt together...wiring and all. Here are a few tips/pointers/warnings/suggestions...

If you get spohn motor mounts, you'll be good with those. Stock k-member will work fine. If you dont use the stock LS1 A/C compressor, no modifications to the k-member are needed. If you just want a tubular k-member, then fine. You can get them set up for your LS1 already so you wont need to buy mounts separate.

With spohn motor mounts, and a converstion crossmember, the motor and trans will drop right in like it belongs.

Your biggest hurdles at this point will be exhaust, and suspension. You want to run 9's. Thats going to take some work in areas other than your engine/trans/rear combo. In fact, I bet getting the rest of the car set up for 9's will be more work than gettin the motor and trans in and working. I would suggest new lower control arms, good springs and shocks, and a good torque arm/panhard bar upgrade. You can find plenty of info on drag suspension set ups. Dont forget you will need to upgrade that rear. Go with a 12-bolt or a ford 9" and you'll be fine.

Here are probably the two biggest pieces of advice I can give you without knowing more about what you are wanting to do.
1) whatever you THINK it will cost you to do this swap, add more. The project will nickle and dime you quickly if not careful. I know it did to me...
2) search on here and on thirdgen.org until your fingers bleed from clicking. Use the information that you get to put together a game plan. Plan out what you want to use for your carb conversion if you do it. plan out how you want your exhaust...this effects other things like your crossmember. Plan out your fuel system. Figure out how you awnt to handle gauges and interior items. The more you plan, the easier your swap will go.

Once you come up with a good game plan, shoot me or any of the other 3rd gen guys a PM with any specific questions...or post on here. The more specific your questions, the better the help will be that you'll get.

I know my post doesnt help you too much. But you really need to get into the project more and do your homework. Then post up with any more questions you have and we'll help ya out!

J.

P.S. X2 on NOT going with fbodymotorsports... or whatever they are called. Stick with the big guns like Spohn, ThunderRacing, Hawks Thirdgen Parts, etc. for the swap parts.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Thanks for the compliment!

CGCBandit: The swap is not a big deal at all. You can almost purchase everything you need to make this 100% bolt together...wiring and all. Here are a few tips/pointers/warnings/suggestions...

If you get spohn motor mounts, you'll be good with those. Stock k-member will work fine. If you dont use the stock LS1 A/C compressor, no modifications to the k-member are needed. If you just want a tubular k-member, then fine. You can get them set up for your LS1 already so you wont need to buy mounts separate.

With spohn motor mounts, and a converstion crossmember, the motor and trans will drop right in like it belongs.

Your biggest hurdles at this point will be exhaust, and suspension. You want to run 9's. Thats going to take some work in areas other than your engine/trans/rear combo. In fact, I bet getting the rest of the car set up for 9's will be more work than gettin the motor and trans in and working. I would suggest new lower control arms, good springs and shocks, and a good torque arm/panhard bar upgrade. You can find plenty of info on drag suspension set ups. Dont forget you will need to upgrade that rear. Go with a 12-bolt or a ford 9" and you'll be fine.

Here are probably the two biggest pieces of advice I can give you without knowing more about what you are wanting to do.
1) whatever you THINK it will cost you to do this swap, add more. The project will nickle and dime you quickly if not careful. I know it did to me...
2) search on here and on thirdgen.org until your fingers bleed from clicking. Use the information that you get to put together a game plan. Plan out what you want to use for your carb conversion if you do it. plan out how you want your exhaust...this effects other things like your crossmember. Plan out your fuel system. Figure out how you awnt to handle gauges and interior items. The more you plan, the easier your swap will go.

Once you come up with a good game plan, shoot me or any of the other 3rd gen guys a PM with any specific questions...or post on here. The more specific your questions, the better the help will be that you'll get.

I know my post doesnt help you too much. But you really need to get into the project more and do your homework. Then post up with any more questions you have and we'll help ya out!

J.

P.S. X2 on NOT going with fbodymotorsports... or whatever they are called. Stick with the big guns like Spohn, ThunderRacing, Hawks Thirdgen Parts, etc. for the swap parts.
Wow, thanks for all the help(and to the others above as well). I'm not all too worried about the AC etc as this will be stricky a 1/4mile car(my GTO has AC, lol) Anyway I will definately do some research. Once I get the motor specs irond out then I can go from there. THe car is a factory Carb powered 305 so some sort of MSD setup would most likely be used. Trans is a turbo350 which I already have and I'm trying to figure out rear choices...since I'm not 100% sure that I won't back 1/2 the car and go all out. Great info here guys, I appreciate it a bunch, I'm looking foward to doing this, I'm in no major hurry to get it done, I'd rather take the time and do things once with this car. I know all too well how the modding road goes
Old 02-03-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are quite a few conversion parts for sale, so that'll take some of the hassle out.
"Stick with the big guns like Spohn, ThunderRacing, Hawks Thirdgen Parts, etc. for the swap parts." - This points you in the right direction.

Good luck and post up with pics later!
Old 02-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck on the swap man now that my chevy 355 is in my car i am starting to regret not going to a ls engine.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
Oh crap - whatever you do, DO NOT send a nickel to fbodymotorsports (or "youngs fbody", or whatever the hell they're known as now), until you spend some time searching through the "Aftermarket Vendor Review" forum on TGO. Lots of history on this, lots of seriously upset people...

EDIT: I found one link to get you started, but there are plenty of others...

You can thank me later.
Well, before they switched to young's, i've ordered several times from them and have dropped about $2500 in parts for my 3rd gen z28 and i ordered my ultra Z hood and rk sport z28 high rise spoiler through them. the only reason i didn't order the hood straight from SLP, was b/c I didn't want to pay the state tax on it and it ended up being shipped from SLP in Toms River anyways.
Bottom line, i never had a problem ordering from them. even called them up to ask questions on parts and diagnostic instead of posting on here to get an answer asap to fix the problem. i can say between 2003-mid 05 that i have ordered from them, i never had a problem except if a part was on back order like the clear corner markers. i got the fronts within a month of ordering them b/c they were on b/o and i had to be refunded for the rears b/c they couldn't get them and i found them on ebay. but things on b/o could be any place. I haven't ordered from them since about mid 2005, but have never had a problem.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's cool, I'm actually glad to hear that. It's just that (based on virtually everything I've read about them), your experience appears to be the exception rather than the rule.

I'd LOVE to hear that people are now getting consistent good service from them, but until I do start reading that, I'm going to be shopping with others.

(BTW, my post wasn't meant as anything against you, just hoping to alert fellow gearheads of history/potential issues.)

Quick Reply: LS1 swap into a 3rdgen fbody