Scammer on forum?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Scammer on forum?

I was trying to sell my car on the classified thread and ran into a so called member that joined 2 days ago (1-27-2008). He claimed that he was interested in buying my car and we settelled on a cash price. He then requested the vin number of my car to provied for his bank, and this would enable him for a loan. Did not give him the vin, and then replied "Are you that serious about the cash; I dought that it is legal to bring 12k on a plane." I then replied with more questions and ask to contact him by phone. After this reply, I have not heard from him sence.

I guess my question is, has this happen offten to anyonelse on this forum?

His member name is McJapurai
Old 01-30-2008, 12:11 AM
Teching In

those damn nigeran scammers... Lol
Old 01-30-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by law1982
I was trying to sell my car on the classified thread and ran into a so called member that joined 2 days ago (1-27-2008). He claimed that he was interested in buying my car and we settelled on a cash price. He then requested the vin number of my car to provied for his bank, and this would enable him for a loan. Did not give him the vin, and then replied "Are you that serious about the cash; I dought that it is legal to bring 12k on a plane." I then replied with more questions and ask to contact him by phone. After this reply, I have not heard from him sence.

I guess my question is, has this happen offten to anyonelse on this forum?

His member name is McJapurai
umm... not sure if this guy is a scammer, but you do need to provied a vin for a loan. and then he could have just brought you a check. so im not sure what made you worry about his request.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

I poked around. His IP address is in the US. He looks legit from a quick look in to it. YMMV. If it doesn't feel right, bail on the deal.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:50 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Giving out the VIN# isn't a big deal, and most banks DO require it to give out a loan to the buyer. It isn't like the VIN# is your social security or something, anyone can just go look on top of your dash and see it.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Giving out the VIN# isn't a big deal, and most banks DO require it to give out a loan to the buyer. It isn't like the VIN# is your social security or something, anyone can just go look on top of your dash and see it.
not on my cars....