Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq4 into a 96-98/99 fullsize 5.7?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lq4 into a 96-98/99 fullsize 5.7?

Blew the second L31 in my truck and am looking towards a 6.0 for the power and hopefully a little better mileage.

What is involved in the swap to keep it as "factory style" as possible using the factory 4L60-E transmission/241 t-case, keeping the factory gauges functioning.

The motor i am looking at includes the engine, accessories, comp, harness, and a few other things they throw in.

thanks for any and all help and look foward to a build thread soon.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You have to use the spacer for a 4l80 behind the flywheel and use a 4l60 e flywheel to retain your existing transmission. Don't listen to the people who tell you to change it because it is weak. Internally all 4l60-E's are identical until you get to a 4L65 with the exception of a few small changes here and there. The gauges will all work if you change to a 98 f body coolant temp sensor as it adds a third wire to run your oem gauge. The existing oil pressure sending unit will read correctly for your cluster. Your cluster recognizes 0-90 ohm range on the oil pressure and that is what the LS engines use too. Some say it wont but I have not had issues using the LS with the truck clusters in conversions I have done at work. If you are good at wiring you can essentially disect the engine management stuff from your OEM harness and RE Pin in the LS harness to make it all plug and play. It just takes diagrams, patience and time. You can use your truck fan clutch on the donor engine provided it came from a truck. Your radiator will also work with some hoses being made to make it tick. As far as exhaust you can use the stock truck manifolds I believe. There are a couple of threads here discussing mounts headers etc you might want to check into.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Teching In

thanks a lot for the info.
How much is involved in the wiring? I would use the LS computer and get it programed or my OEM comp re-programed?
If using the my OEM comp I would need to pull the factory engine pins and replace it with the LS harness?
I am by no means a wiring master but I'm pretty sure I can understand the diagrams if I stare long enough haha.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The factory pcm in your truck cannot control the LS series engines. You must use the pcm that came with your engine. I'd stick with the truck tune since it's going into a truck. You will however need to get a program done to tune out the passlock to allow the engine to start and run. If you are not doing any mods on it you can stop there. But, there is a lot that can be done tuning wise to wake up a 6.0 in stock form.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

Where are you located? I can help. Weather it's just help with diagrams or doing a re-pin job. Or if you have a handle on all of that stuff-simply turning off the VATS/ security you could send the pcm to me. Check out my website for more swap info.

http://www.efialchemy.com/techdb.html
Old 01-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

Where are you located? I can help. Weather it's just help with diagrams or doing a re-pin job. Or if you have a handle on all of that stuff-simply turning off the VATS/ security you could send the pcm to me. Check out my website for more swap info.

http://www.efialchemy.com/techdb.html

Quick Reply: lq4 into a 96-98/99 fullsize 5.7?