Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shim Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shim Removal?

My clutch started slipping in 3rd and 4th if I get WOT. Do I just need to remove the shim from behind my slave cylinder? I have a SPEC 3 with 10k miles.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:35 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your slipping, the clutch is prob gone, not the 1st time ive personally seen Spec's do this. The shim is behind the slave, remove the trans, inspect the clutch and your prob going to see its dead, and you might as well replace it.

Removing the shim, had the clutch been good, would lower the engagement point of the clutch.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen the spec 3 clutches wear into the flywheel causing the clutch to start slipping even when the disc still looked ok. I ran a spec 3 once that started slipping at 12,000 miles (with many, many track passes). I pulled it out, had the flywheel resurfaced and the clutch held fine until I swapped the t56 for an auto about 6 months later. Although the pressure plate surface will probably look just as bad as the flywheel, machining the flywheel was enough to get a few more miles out of the clutch.

Even with only 12,000 miles, I was satisfied with the clutch simply for the fact that it held numerous 1.4 sixtys for almost 2 years of abuse.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:29 PM
no title here

Is this more with a stock flywheel or with one of their flywheels? I just ordered a 3+ and billet AL flywheel today and would like to know.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Welll I answered my own question today Fellas I removed the shim today and the clutch went right back to grabbing no slipping this time. I read the same stuff some of you guys posted about SPEC clutches going out all of a sudden. But, I have had no problems out of mine and now my clutch pedal feels like stock. You just have to let the pressure plate thoroughly break in. We also pulled a friend of mines shim today because his clutch began slipping on the spray and he has a Ram Powergrip and he said the clutch won't fully disengage at WOT High RPM. But his clutch only has maybe 2k miles. We also took note that the Ram shim was .020" thicker than my SPEC shim. So I guess he will be putting my SPEC shim back in his car. I will post the results of that. I have give my SPEC two thumbs up thus far.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
Is this more with a stock flywheel or with one of their flywheels? I just ordered a 3+ and billet AL flywheel today and would like to know.
I have the SPEC Billet Steel working with the clutch.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

**Not trying to Hi-Jack**....Quick Q though...Where can you buy shims for the slave?...And what thickness would probably work for a clutch that grabs pretty much right off the floor, and barely goes in gear>?...Any ideas?..
Old 02-01-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by donalr76
Welll I answered my own question today Fellas I removed the shim today and the clutch went right back to grabbing no slipping this time. I read the same stuff some of you guys posted about SPEC clutches going out all of a sudden. But, I have had no problems out of mine and now my clutch pedal feels like stock. You just have to let the pressure plate thoroughly break in. We also pulled a friend of mines shim today because his clutch began slipping on the spray and he has a Ram Powergrip and he said the clutch won't fully disengage at WOT High RPM. But his clutch only has maybe 2k miles. We also took note that the Ram shim was .020" thicker than my SPEC shim. So I guess he will be putting my SPEC shim back in his car. I will post the results of that. I have give my SPEC two thumbs up thus far.
If he continues to drive the car without a shim in it, he is going to wear out his clutch in probably the next 1,000 miles or less and possibly do damage to his transmission. Just a heads up.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
**Not trying to Hi-Jack**....Quick Q though...Where can you buy shims for the slave?...And what thickness would probably work for a clutch that grabs pretty much right off the floor, and barely goes in gear>?...Any ideas?..
What clutch are you running? They usually come with the shim made for that clutch and it sounds like you are wearing out your clutch very quickly driving it like that. There is no shim in there?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
What clutch are you running? They usually come with the shim made for that clutch and it sounds like you are wearing out your clutch very quickly driving it like that. There is no shim in there?
Yea, I havent really been driving it. Thats just how it is if I try to. Here is whats going on and why I am thinking a shim. It was a swap from a buddys car, and EVERYTHING transfered over, but its not working in mine...the clutch is just a GM type clutch. Nothing special, new flywheel, new hyd. all bled like crazy even with mity-vac. Here is my thread. https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/855450-what-now-help.html
Old 02-02-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
If he continues to drive the car without a shim in it, he is going to wear out his clutch in probably the next 1,000 miles or less and possibly do damage to his transmission. Just a heads up.
What damage will it do to the trans?