Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Anybody feel like lookin over my resume....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody feel like lookin over my resume....

and giving me some constructive feedback. I have been with the same company for 15.5yrs and never really thought about leaving until recently. So now I have to write something that I havent touched in about 7-8 yrs.

FIre away

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: doc
RESUME.doc (35.5 KB, 102 views)
Old 01-31-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would leave out the baseball experiences, and list it under General Skills.List all of your computer skills under General skills.....Fix the spelling mistakes, and use different fonts in the sub-titles.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh....and I suck at resumes...lol
Old 01-31-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by travie319
I would leave out the baseball experiences, and list it under General Skills.List all of your computer skills under General skills.....Fix the spelling mistakes, and use different fonts in the sub-titles.
I agree and also do a search in google for samples for objectives. Maybe you can use something like "Seeking a challenging position for an opportunity for growth, where I can utilize my experience, training, and skills. " Hope that helps!!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they say to use the LAST 3-5 years of experience on your resume... Also you can use your references on there... Also tailor you resume for the job that you want... They also say that you can be original but don't be stupid about it... One good tip is that a resume is just "advertisement"... remember that and you'll do well..
Old 01-31-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also have taken classes about getting good jobs and they said to not answer the phone if you don't recognize it because you ARE NOT READY to do a phone interview...Call them back after you've done some research on the company and you can talk a little about what they do.... It makes you look like you're interested to be a part of their team.. make sure to shine the BACK of your shoes because they are going to see that when you walk away... bring breath mints, tooth brush, tooth paste, pen (preferably blue; this is because it can be distinguished from the black ink on the paper and red is kinda annoying) an extra shirt because you're going to inevitably spill something on the one you're wearing, deodorant (for your pits and hands; some people have sweaty hands and you can put it on and wipe it off to close your pours), have as firm of a hand shake as the person that is shaking your hand, look the person in the eye, and some other junk... You may not have wanted to know this but this is the information that everyone knows but forgets at the last moment.... Good luck bro.. I'm going to be going through this myself very soon too..
Old 01-31-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also if they ask you about salary tell them "I would rather find out about the company and everything as a whole first before considering the salary" or you can say that it's negotiable... basically do this until they keep hounding you about it and then say "are you offering me the position"... It's almost guaranteed to get you a job... Remember, if you don't ask for it then often times you will not get it.. Be almost passive aggresive and answer the politically correct questions neutrally... Often in job interviews it's not what you say but how you say it or what's not said.. Also consider the interviewer cuz you're selling yourself to them..
Old 01-31-2008, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

DO NOT LEAVE OUT THE BASEBALL AND BASKEBALL ACCOMPLISHMENT YOU HAVE OF BEING ALL STATE...ill tell u why...people like the idea of hiring student athletes...it shows u can be responsible on and off the field and be successful in both areas...obviously u were a good student and good athlete...remember...THIS IS ONE PAGE ABOUT U!!! DONT BE BASHFUL!! bragg as much as you can...

and also remember...when ur bullshitting with someone that might hire u...u never know what might fire up in a conversation once he/her seess u were an all state baseball and basketball guy...maybe they have kids that play sports...then u could bullshit about that...all im saying is u never know what will put u over the next applicant applying for the same job

i would put ur education first...since it is shorter....its quick to read....plus being a good student at a prep naval academy says u seem sharp and responsible...u have good experience but it goes to long and by the time i get done with ur experience i get bored and dont wanan read on...keep ur experience in there cuz its good ****...but put it after ur education...thats my opinion though
Old 01-31-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HAWKNV
and giving me some constructive feedback. I have been with the same company for 15.5yrs and never really thought about leaving until recently. So now I have to write something that I havent touched in about 7-8 yrs.

FIre away

Thanks
Post your email address and I'll send you a copy of my resume so you can use the format.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

here is my g/f's resume...but it was job specific being in the education field, but it might give u a different look on things...i changed her name, address, etc

and when u print ur resume out, dont print it on normal white paper...go buy some expensive thick kind...it is ur life story u r carrying around

U SHOULD PUT UR 5 MILLION BUDGET THING FIRST!!! NOW THATS EYE CATCHING!
Attached Files
File Type: doc
resume2.doc (29.5 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by cruiSSin LS1; 01-31-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

thanks everybody. good constructive criticism, thats what I like.
Another question, should I list US Army Chemical School and subsequent military duty?

email is hawknv@ca.rr.com
Old 02-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

I also purposely left out the 1 yr of college I did attend, didnt want to answer the "well why didnt you finish school, blah blah.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

thanks everybody. good constructive criticism, thats what I like.
Another question, should I list US Army Chemical School and subsequent military duty?

email is hawknv@ca.rr.com
rule of thumb...if u have any doubts about putting something on a resume...THEN DONT PUT IT ON...go with ur gut...the same questions u ask urself r the same ones people r gonna think when trying to hire u...if u feel ur militry duty is worthy and u r proud of the fact...then put it in...but if an inch of doubt arises...ditch it...
Old 02-01-2008, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

FIre away

Thanks
to be honest with u...it doesnt seem like ur job is bad...u r just going through a process of what else is out there? kinda mode...
especially since u have been there a long time...im assuming ur job pays pretty good cuz of the toys u have and the things u have accomplished while there...i say give it more time, and hold off on the thought of leaving...but it never hurts to se what else is out there...
Old 02-01-2008, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FIre away

Thanks
First question (and the most important): What job or job type are you looking for?

Second question (and pretty obvious but I have to ask since I don't know you): This isn't your completed resume, right? (aside from the blacked out and omitted "Objectives")

Third question (more like an observation): I'm estimating (given the date of your education, years with the same company) you're over 30. Drop the "Interests" section completely. If you trade "Interests" for "Hobbies" I'll kick you in the ***** myself (in a friendly type of way).

I've been doing this on the side and I charge $999 minimum for prep, referral, and placement services (depending on the position), but this I'll do for free since you're on tech. You were brave enough to post your resume and ask for advice, for that I salute you. On that note, do NOT send out the resume you linked.

I'll give my recommendations after I read your response. PM me if you want to keep it private. If my reply is delayed it's only because my wife went into "official" labor.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
First question (and the most important): What job or job type are you looking for?

Second question (and pretty obvious but I have to ask since I don't know you): This isn't your completed resume, right? (aside from the blacked out and omitted "Objectives")

Third question (more like an observation): I'm estimating (given the date of your education, years with the same company) you're over 30. Drop the "Interests" section completely. If you trade "Interests" for "Hobbies" I'll kick you in the ***** myself (in a friendly type of way).

I've been doing this on the side and I charge $999 minimum for prep, referral, and placement services (depending on the position), but this I'll do for free since you're on tech. You were brave enough to post your resume and ask for advice, for that I salute you. On that note, do NOT send out the resume you linked.

I'll give my recommendations after I read your response. PM me if you want to keep it private. If my reply is delayed it's only because my wife went into "official" labor.
Oh...****....Congrats!!!!!
Old 02-01-2008, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

By the way I hope its yours......

J/K
Old 02-01-2008, 01:59 AM
On The Tree

By the way I hope its yours......
Old 02-01-2008, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

You were asking about education and job experience.... I was told to put whichever one first that you want to highlight more... Now the reason this is because your eyes usually scroll the first few lines and then they go down the left side of the page and end up on the bottom of the page... So if you don't put the stuff you want them to read in the first part make sure that you put it in bullets streaming down the left side of the page to catch their eye.. It's just human nature to do this and they want to get the gist of your resume because they're reading through so many a day to weed out the bad ones..
Old 02-01-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh...****....Congrats!!!!!
Thanks. I won't know if it's mine till it comes out!

Quick Reply: Anybody feel like lookin over my resume....