Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

couple turbo spec ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default couple turbo spec ?'s

ok I have found a replacement for my car, a sts ws6. the car is fully tuned,made 650 bhp on a really safe tune. the car is in great shape inside and out. the only real big problem with the car is that it will not make any boost. I have had a few turbo cars (oem turbo cars)so I know a little bit about turbos. anyways I went a did a compression check on the car and everything was fine (within 5psi on all clys.) I checked the shaft play on the turbo and it does have some end-end play in it. he had the car checked out and was told the turbo needed new bearings. the plugs were a bit fouled up so I installed some new tr6's gapped at .030. the car fires up on the first try and sounds great. idles at 14.7 a/f no misses,knocks,and almost no ticking.

the turbo is the upgraded gt67 bb. after calling around and emailing JZ at forced inductions if I need to replace the bearings I need to replace the whole center section. (about 500) I read zombies saga a few times. I think I will just replace it with a journal bearing turbo,wrap the y-pipe,change the 3." back pipe on the car with a 2.5"/wrap it too. I figure that will give me back the 500 or so rpm that I will lose from changing the BB turbo.

ok the real question is when I search for a gt67 turbo I come back with nothing.the nomenclature found on forced inductions leads me to belive that a "gt67bb" is a gt40-R 67. but I have not found anything to really prove what size the sts turbo is. I was looking at getting a GT4082-50TRIM-94AR. but I'm confused why a 82 mm turbo would be only a 50 trim. I would really like to get something like a gt4072/74 with a .81/.94 AR. for now my power goals are going to stay at were the car is already at. 550 or so at the wheels.

I just figured that I'd probally spend around 1g when it was all said and done with the BB turbo. after I paid for shipping there and back,the inspection,need chra? seals,balance, it would probally be about a grand. so if I can get some thing thats a journal bearing that will work with stock cubes,and also work when I get a forged bottom why not. I could probally sell the BB turbo and get some of my money back.

sorry for the long post, any help/suggestions would be great.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody have something to add? I know I kinda rambled but......

bump and time for another

Quick Reply: couple turbo spec ?'s