Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

G5X3 cam with turbo good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 01:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default G5X3 cam with turbo good or bad?

I have been talking with my brother about building a custom single turbo kit for my vette and was wondering how the G5X3 would work with it. I know this is not designed for boost but I have seen N/A cams work very well with turbos in the past, on non LSX motors!
Old 02-01-2008, 01:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As always, it would depend on the entire combination and the goals you have for that combination.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres a thread here with someone using a cam large like that (i think it might be even bigger, a trex or something like that) that made 600+rwhp on pump with 7 lbs of boost. you have to be very conservative with timing/boost if your gonna run high compression motor with a big cam like that. good gas couldnt hurt either. But it is possible, just not very popular/common from what Ive seen. People prefer smaller cams and use boost to make power instead.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many use big cams and I was contemplating myself using that exact same cam. I think it would work depending on the LSA as long as its not too tight. Like INTM8D said though, it depends on the setup as a whole. He nows allot in this category via testing, etc. It most likely won't be ideal but would get the job done. Like already mentioned, there was a guy that used a MS3 with boost and it surprised him with decent results. A stock cam woukd work too but wouldn't be idle either. Many use a Z06 cam but you know the big boys use hell of allot bigger than a g5x3 If its already in the motor I say run it and you'll know if it doesn't work. As long as you aren't boosting to the moon and have a nice free flowing kit, IMO it should suffice. Again, not ideal. Who's really to say what is though? I disagreee with reverse splits and think they are but many use them with great results. I haven't seen a cammotion spec'd cam that didn't have one yet. Each to his own. BTW nice vid in sig, that must be the civic right? LOL

edit - Sorry I was thinking about another cam, damn numbers, bla, bla, bla, hahahaha Aside though many people do run large cams with FI effectively.

Last edited by Websy21; 02-02-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
Theres a thread here with someone using a cam large like that (i think it might be even bigger, a trex or something like that) that made 600+rwhp on pump with 7 lbs of boost. you have to be very conservative with timing/boost if your gonna run high compression motor with a big cam like that. good gas couldnt hurt either. But it is possible, just not very popular/common from what Ive seen. People prefer smaller cams and use boost to make power instead.
That was me. I had that in my old setup. The cam was on a 114. It made 644. The car ran real strong. I had AFRs on it and a fast intake. This was with a t-trim on 7lbs.

Quick Reply: G5X3 cam with turbo good or bad?