Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ssra

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ssra

Ok im so i was looking at getting the ssra kit from lm performance... what are the thoughts on it for a DD? is there any problems in the rain or nething.. and how hard is installation... i noticed it comes up right under the air box and filter... do u have to cut away ne thing to get it like that?
Old 02-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Launching!

I haven't encountered any problems with mine, driving through large puddles isn't a good idea to begin with! Installation is pretty easy. You will need to do the free "ram air" mod which isn't too difficult either.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice hood bro what kind is it chevy02z28
Old 02-01-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've had mine for 3 years now on my daily driver. No problems to complain of thus far
Old 02-01-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

It rained hard today, no problems. I've had it on maybe 20k miles or so. Seems like the parts of the country that get flash floods and very deep puddles are what will cause you problems.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah hiting monsterous puddles i wouldnt think would be a good idea.. i was more so going after just dd if i had to go out in average rain conditions.. naturally i try to avoid puddles....

So i looked up some stuff on that free ram air mod.. understad it completely by cutting out the two side on the lower lid assembly... but cutting on the piece beneath the lower lid assembly... i wont have any porblems if i got the ssra if i cut that out right?

4 inch cowl... got it off i think ltdfiberglass fiberglass componets on ebay....
heres a link if yer interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...spagenameZWDVW

Last edited by chevrolet02z28; 02-02-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Get the fast toys ram air. The ssra aint worth it and can easily crack.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

I've had no problems with mine and its been on for almost five years. Got over a tenth gain at the track with it on as well. I highly recommend it.

As for install it comes with detailed instructions. I had mine installed in less then an hour using nothing but a screw driver and utility knife. You'll end up cutting away the bottom of the air box (aka FRA mod). You'll then run the top scoop under the airbox and along side the radiator. The bottom scoop then inserts into the top scoop and then gets screwed into the bottom of the front bumper.

Finally you take the rubber strip that comes with the kit and place it in front of the airbox so it blocks the engine bay air from getting in. The idea is that only outside air gets into the motor. The outside air is cooler and at highway speeds adds a bit of force albeit not much.

Good luck.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

i was worried about this too...thanks
Old 02-02-2008, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

As far as rain and fear of hydrolock goes I have a few suggestions. For the most part they fall in the "well duh" catagory but I'll list them anyway.

1). Don't drive through large standing puddles. This should hold true for any fbody, ssra or not. But if you had flood like conditions don't try driving through a foot or two of standing water. Unless you want to kill your motor.

2). When driving in a heavy rain do NOT tailgate. Ever see the water shooting off other peoples back tires in the rain? You don't want that shooting straight into your SSRA. Keep a few car lengths distance and you should be fine.

3). Don't drive during a massive down pour. You know the ones where the rain comes down so hard that even with the wipers on high you struggle to see? Pull over and wait for the rain to lighten up a bit if you can before proceeding.

And if you're super paranoid you can do what I did when mine was a daily driver. I took a piece of packing foam that was the right size to fit snug in my bottom scoop and used it as a block off on heavy rain days. I would put it in the scoop and then remove the rubber insert so the air comes from the engine bay like it did before the SSRA. Then when the weather broke I would pull the foam insert out and reattatch the rubber block off in front of the airbox. Takes only a minute and will give you some piece of mind.

But I would only do that in really heavy down pour rains. Normal rains will never make it through two air scoops, an air filter and your throttle body. In fact, I don't remember my air filter ever being wet. Dirty yes, but not wet.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the ssra and I loved it. If theres anyone that has problems with water then they shouldnt be taking there car through a couple feet of water. The only time your gonna have a problem is if your stupid and forget you have it on the front of your car and you like taking your camaro through a freekin lake. Oh man, I dont even remember about the install. I think I just ripped out the radiator shrowd
Old 02-03-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the FTRA. While most people haven't had issues, the day I put it on, the motor started running hot in 100* weather cruising at about 85 mph. Kept it on for probably 6-8 months and took it off ... stopped running hot as soon as it came off. Never had any issues after I took it off. A lot of people run them and love 'em.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

had my ssra on my dd for over a year w/o probs. i've driven through some hairy *** rainstorms too. then again i never took my car through a lake lol. if you think about the design of the scoop being in front of the front wheels, there should be no probs if you yourself hit a puddle on the ground because the water will spray backwards towards the rear of the car. but i guess you might have probs if tailgating another car in the rain cause his rear tires would spray back to the front of your car. but like i said, i've done this and never had any probs. with the ssra the biggest prob isnt rain, its hitting it on those railroad tie things some parking lots have to separate the spaces. but just remember you have it down there and dont pull too far forward over the thing and youll be fine.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How about over heating issues with the SSRA; anyone have them? I have a 160* thermo and a fan control switch. Forsee any issues?
Old 02-06-2008, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nightrydass
How about over heating issues with the SSRA; anyone have them? I have a 160* thermo and a fan control switch. Forsee any issues?
The SSRA is plastic so there are no heating issues.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by darrensls1
The SSRA is plastic so there are no heating issues.
no i mean heating issues caused by blocking my radiator; or is it angled in a way that is doesn't restrict flow?
Old 02-06-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nightrydass
no i mean heating issues caused by blocking my radiator; or is it angled in a way that is doesn't restrict flow?
It does but I've never had a problem.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLACK2001SS
It does but I've never had a problem.
would the SSRA creat less of a heat issue then the FTRA since the SSRA angles away?

You say u have had no issues? How long have u had it on for?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

What sponsor sells the SSRA? I looked at a few and only see the SLP FTRA and BG
Old 02-06-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Unless you're the unluckiest guy in the world (and if you are, then you better just join the war and get yourself killed), you'll have no problem in the rain (with the SSRA2 (without the scoop)). The non-scooped version doesn't even get wet as it's so tucked up above the radiator.

Quick Reply: Ssra