Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header to idler arm clearance issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header to idler arm clearance issues

I have a 69 Camaro that we are swaping a LS2 into and having some issues. We have S&P engine mount adapters and Stainless Works headers. The issue is that the right side header is extremely close to the steering idler arm and I think it will melt the rubber insolator boot on the idler if left like that. Is there a differant idler arm or something to fix this problem? What have you guys done
Old 02-02-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Never heard of anyone with idler arm clearance issues... any chance you have big block frame brackets? They move the engine to the right about 1 inch.

Here's what the BBC brackets looks like:
http://www.rickscamaros.com/product....dept%5Fid=3218

Here's what the SBC brackets look like:

('69 302 or 350)

or
(all other SBC)
Old 02-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

ya we do but that is the only way that the engine mount brackets would line up. With the sb stands the holes for the engine mounts and the frame stands were not correct. Which frame stands and engine mounts are supposed to be used with the S&P adapter mounts
Old 02-02-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

We wound up slightly modifying the short and wide style SB mounts to work. We also couldn't use a thick motor mount, and had to use the rubber mount from a 71 307 Chevell (grind the ridge on the back off). Also, I am not certain that the S&P style mounts will line up nice with the Stainless Works long tubes. I do know they work well with the S&P shorties, no issue for clearance at all.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

I figured out what was wrong with our setup. We were suppose to have short and wide engine mounts but I just realized that we recieve tall and narrow mounts which explains why the big block frame stands were needed. Thanks for your help everyone, just one more reason why I love this forum.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

great to hear you solved it! And you answered one of my "what if" questions about using BBC frame stands for more steering box clearance .

Quick Reply: Header to idler arm clearance issues