Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 - Shifters

View Full Version : Shifters

SirWarrior
02-02-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm new so take it easy on me.

So from what I see, everyone hates B&M, GMM and Billet ones are recomended. How about Hurst?
Or will the Camaro shifters work with the 06 GTO?

GTO8522
02-02-2008, 03:39 PM
I have a hurst billet shifter in mine. def. like it. it's a little rough at first but it starts to break in after a few hundred miles. lol or I start to break in.

Steadyasshegoes
02-02-2008, 10:08 PM
I have the GMM and beat the hell out of it with zero issues. Are you a member of ls1gto.com? If not, you should be.

SirWarrior
02-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Not a member there, but I am lurking and searching on all I can.
This is going in 98 240sx, so mostly concerned with engine/trans stuff.

JankesGTO
02-03-2008, 09:25 PM
GMM race ftmfw!

had the B&M with the chrome handle and shift ball, the best thing about it was the shift ball. Everything else totally sucked... never could hit 3 right.:nod:

SirWarrior
02-05-2008, 10:29 PM
are the camaro shifters interchangable

thatboyvic
02-05-2008, 10:40 PM
everyone hates b&m because they install it with b&m hardware.....lol i purchased grade 8 bolts and lock washers. used red loctite and sealed it to the tranny. i purchased the shifter for 75 bux. honestly been in a gto with a gmm and mine feels more precise. we have been banging the shit out of all week... hot laps at the track and its holding strong... best shifter for a gto imho.... thats just me

ps i also modified the spring assembly. ahhh its like a charm if you put it in first it wont move. no side to side no wander. every gear is crisp. if you miss a gear with my shifter you have to be a damn idot. so b&m in stock form = shit.... modified = ftw

gametech
02-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Before I bought my GTO, I test drove a couple that had sloppy shifters, but the one I bought didn't. They all have the rubber isolated handle, however, which can lead to a spongy feel. I replaced the handle with a Lou's short stick, and I love the way it feels. If your actual shift mechanism isn't sloppy, just replacing the handle is a very cost effective upgrade.

KrautBurner
02-06-2008, 02:36 AM
I'm new so take it easy on me.

So from what I see, everyone hates B&M, GMM and Billet ones are recomended. How about Hurst?
Or will the Camaro shifters work with the 06 GTO?

I havn't read much about the hurst,

but the B&M isnt really recomended for the GTO's (I broke mine the first day it was installed :bang:)

and no, the camaro shifters won't work on the GTO's

SirWarrior
02-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Looks like I'll try out Hurst and go from there
Thanks guys

dkrowner
02-06-2008, 11:12 PM
b&m is what i'm using and i've had no prob's in 13 months

mrtosh
02-10-2008, 01:08 PM
I've read quite a few write-ups on ls1gto.com and alot of people are saying w/the Hurst it will occasionally pop out of gear. Also that once it's put in gear it feels as though it can actually be pushed a little further past where it should. I'm guessing that that is probably do to the stop screw, but am unsure.... I'm going w/the Billet Pro.

thatboyvic
02-10-2008, 11:24 PM
b&m :)

mrtosh
02-10-2008, 11:48 PM
b&m :)

Seriously???

thatboyvic
02-11-2008, 10:04 PM
everyone hates b&m because they install it with b&m hardware.....lol i purchased grade 8 bolts and lock washers. used red loctite and sealed it to the tranny. i purchased the shifter for 75 bux. honestly been in a gto with a gmm and mine feels more precise. we have been banging the shit out of all week... hot laps at the track and its holding strong... best shifter for a gto imho.... thats just me

ps i also modified the spring assembly. ahhh its like a charm if you put it in first it wont move. no side to side no wander. every gear is crisp. if you miss a gear with my shifter you have to be a damn idot. so b&m in stock form = shit.... modified = ftw

like i previously stated i go to the track twice a week and beat on this thing over and over running low 12's it is holding strong and no missed gears. it has no play and is so crisps. like i said i modified mine though. i have driven in gtos with others and i think mine is waaaay better so do those goat owners :) but my opinion is only my opinion

Buzzmanb12
02-12-2008, 08:28 PM
I ran a B&M for 15k miles and absolutely no problems! Like vic says, upgrade the hardware and loctite that bish..............................I had at least 100 track passes and I drove that mother like I stole it every day. I think I missed 3rd once being lazy.

thatboyvic
02-12-2008, 09:47 PM
buzz what are you running now? sounds like a great setup in your sig:)

SirWarrior
02-13-2008, 01:29 AM
vic, how you modified the spring assembly? more info/pics?

dkrowner
02-13-2008, 02:24 AM
i think the people who have had prob's with the b&m just aren't the best of stick shifters,i say this as i do open track days and hit the twisties something sick.in haven't had one hick up yet

jmdgto
02-13-2008, 10:58 AM
billit shifter. short throws ,you can change the height, very hard to miss 3rd.

Texas Heat
02-13-2008, 06:01 PM
i think the people who have had prob's with the b&m just aren't the best of stick shifters,i say this as i do open track days and hit the twisties something sick.in haven't had one hick up yet

LOL!!!
I thought the same thing until the ball that sticks in the tranny BROKE CLEAN OFF!
Now if you want to question my driving ability just search my name on youtube....

SirWarrior
02-29-2008, 08:16 PM
ummm....
I have had my B&M for months and have absolutely no complaints.

Spieldawg
02-29-2008, 09:05 PM
I havn't read much about the hurst,

but the B&M isnt really recomended for the GTO's (I broke mine the first day it was installed :bang:)

and no, the camaro shifters won't work on the GTO's

Hmm I am running a Fbody SLP Shifter in mine, for about 20K miles now. No problems, just had to elongate the mounting holes a bit.. and fab up a connecting rod to put the shifter close to stock location.

I paid all of 75 bucks for it

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16539&highlight=short+shifter+cheap