Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a couple of Perfrormance Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just a couple of Perfrormance Newbie questions

Ok so I'm adding an SLP Lid, porting the TB and getting an LS6 intake. With doing these induction mods I'm curious if I should buy an SLP Smooth Bellow as well? Are Smooth Bellows worth it power wise? Or should I just stick with the factory accordian style? Also I'm just going to buy the GMPP LS6 Intake set up for use with the EGR. Since that manifold comes with LS6 coolant lines is there anything else that is a must buy for the intake? Like knock sensors? From what I'm reading it sounds like something that possibly would need to be replaced but not a must. I'm a total newbie when it comes to performance mods, and my car is a DD so I just want to make sure I have everything together before I start digging into these modifications.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1 Bad *** Formula
Ok so I'm adding an SLP Lid, porting the TB and getting an LS6 intake. With doing these induction mods I'm curious if I should buy an SLP Smooth Bellow as well? Are Smooth Bellows worth it power wise? Or should I just stick with the factory accordian style?
It is generally regarded as more of an appearance mode than anything else.

Originally Posted by 1 Bad *** Formula
Also I'm just going to buy the GMPP LS6 Intake set up for use with the EGR. Since that manifold comes with LS6 coolant lines is there anything else that is a must buy for the intake?
Just a suggestion, but you may want look at Fast 78 intake. In the instructions, there is a way that you can use your drill to make a hole to reuse your egr tube. If you find pics of Fast intake you will see the circle that shows you where to drill. And if you are at over 500 for the LS6/egr intake, then look at a fast for about 700.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

buy a used ls6 intake for $300 in for sale section
Old 02-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Launching!

do you have to keep the egr?
Old 02-02-2008, 11:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

i would save your money on the smooth bellows. Put that money to something else.
When I did my ls6 intake I didnt use the coolant lines,i chiseled all the ribs off the bottom in 5 min. done deal no problem. Use the search man theres a crap tone of info. Theres enough threads on here about ls6 intake installs to make you sick
Old 02-03-2008, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

You wont need knock sensors unless you pinch a wire, which we did on my buddy's car. After that when we did mine I used a dremmel and removed all the ribs from the center section on the bottom and had no problems. Smooth bellows are more of a visual mod than a power adder. The only other thing you may need if its not included for the intake install is the gaskets around the intake ports. Good luck on the install, its straight forward and not hard at all!
Old 02-03-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EGR was gone on mine as soon as I got tuned. It will throw a SES light until then, but no it is not needed. I don't see any difference is gas mileage.

I wouldn't waste the time on it unless it's a track only car that you are trying to push all available power out of the damn thing. Put that $50 bucks towards some Longtubes and y-pipe to get some noticable power instead IMHO.