Old 02-03-2008, 11:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Default Quicktime bellhousing.

OK...first couple of pictures

Initial impressions arent too bad.

Then I measure it.

Stock bellhousing height is 140.7mm, 5.54"

Bare QT height is 141.2mm or 5.56"....so no big dramas there.

Then the Aluminum spacer, or whatever its actually for ?

it is 3.2mm thick, or 1/8"

If you were to use this, then the bellhousing becomes 144.4mm thick or 5.69" thick. Which is a fair bit thicker than stock IMO.

I know on my car, with solid engine mounts, and pretty cramped space around my tranny ( as mine is a conversion ) that extra 1/8" could well become an issue.

Then there is the hydraulic slave, and quick release. Which as you can see......fouls.

So that will need some grinding.

Then at the top of the bellhousing/tranny interface, there is this gap. I assume it is deliberate, and perhaps to allow heat from the clutch to escape.

I havent tried to bolt it to the engine yet.....It bettery bloody clear my Exo triple !!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 03:15 AM
9 Second Club

Update....

I ground the bellhousing to clear the hydraulic line...no big deal.

Now I discover Ive no way of bolting the bellhousing, to the T56 !!!!

The damn bellhousing is tapped to 3/8" UNC, and there are no bolts provided. The stock bellhousing is of course M10x1.5

Why the hell didnt they tap it out correctly ???? Now its a bloody PITA to source bolts that hardly anyone uses here in the UK anymore

Why dont they just make it a direct swap ????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( oh, and saying future versions will be correct, doesnt help me much several thousand miles away )
Old 03-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully they read this and immediately revise the design. The master to slave connection...okay, I'll give them some leeway. But english instead of the metric threads? Come on...that is just poor engineering.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:19 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Hopefully they read this and immediately revise the design. The master to slave connection...okay, I'll give them some leeway. But english instead of the metric threads? Come on...that is just poor engineering.
I emailed them yesterday, and did receive a very prompt reply. They are aware of the problems, and new versions have been manufactured correctly.

As I say, all good and well. Still doesnt make me very happy to know that mine was wrong, and new ones are right.
I dont see any money coming my way for product testing.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a feeling this might have some issues after speaking to them on the phone and not getting many solid answers, that's why I cancelled my order back when they cost much less. I couldn't justify buying something I didn't have confidence in, even if it was priced much lower than a McLeod ( at least before everyone found out about them and the price jumped up). I'd rather use the McLeod where the issues are well sorted out and documented. Sucks to be a guinea pig, double when your overseas. Good luck,

Larry

Oh, and that gap at the top looks like serious trouble to me.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:45 PM
9 Second Club

The gap is there, and I quote
The angle cut on the top is for tunnel clearance when installed on the Corvettes
Old 03-03-2008, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

I have a Mcloed sitting in the garage, but was really looking at this one. It is lighter, and doesn't seem to have the fitment issues the Mcloed has. The gap at the top does worry me though, corvette clearance or not.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Mine is going on the car on thursday, I'll check it out

It fits on the car just fine, did have to do some grinding, nothing too major.

stevie, don't forget to grind a small drain hole at the bottom of the face that bolts to the aluminum plate
Old 10-20-2008, 10:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I just ordered the quicktime bellhousing and I can tell you that they did NOT fix the issue with the wrong bolts. Unfortunately I didn't read this post first and put the wrong bolts in. Definitely messed up the threads and I'm not too happy about it right now. I've been debating tapping them out but am concerned about making the holes too much bigger. I've never used a helicoil before.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Troy
Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 PM
9 Second Club

If you can use a drill, helicoils are not difficult to work with. Although if its the threads on the bellhousing that are damaged, not sure if its actually thick enough for normal helicoils to work or not ?

Although Im sure there are some inserts that would.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:48 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks for the reply. I talked to Quicktime and they said that it appears that I was sent the wrong bellhousing, hence the wrong bolts. The threads in the engine are the ones that are damaged but since the wrong bolts are shorter, i'm hoping that I still have some decent thread left in there.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats bullshit man, QTP should be held responsible for screwing up your threads to your engine. Good luck
Old 10-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1sick'98WS6
Thats bullshit man, QTP should be held responsible for screwing up your threads to your engine. Good luck
Just to make a correction here. Quick Time inc, is not Quick Time Peformance(QTP).
Thanks
Old 10-22-2008, 08:14 PM
9 Second Club

Just to provide a quick update. I was sent the wrong bellhousing. Hopefully my threads in the block are ok but Quicktime was pretty responsive about everything so at least that helps the situation out.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Launching!

I ordered mine directly from QT by part number. I hope I get the right thing. I will make sure to trial fit everything before I put it in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quicktime bellhousing.